Live From The Woods 2017 edition!

WNYBuckHunter

33 minutes ago, Core said:

I wish I had a chronograph to test its speed. It can group tightly (arrows fly consistently), it looks great on paper-tuning, and when I tried out a montec last week it was right on with the field point out to 50. It's possible the arrow pulled out a bit as it ran, but it did not make it to the lungs in either case, so it can't have pulled out much.

On the buck the blades appeared to open between the ribs, sneaking in between, and then they stopped on the other side of the rib cage cutting a bit but failing to poke through at all.

Typical. Went through one side and hung up unable to get through the ribs on the other.

I'd like to get a chronograph for this bow now. I know it's at 60 because I tested it myself with weights last year. I don't have reason to doubt the bow other than the fact penetration is bad. Maybe something is off with it and there is a ton of energy not making it to the arrows.

Core,why don't you give the fixed breoadheads a try on a deer? If they group the same as the field points then I don't know why you are using mechanicals. Seems like you have tried those enough times,give the montecs a go and you might be surprised.

• Like 3

Typically this time of year I would be in here til noon and then do a pm sit.  

But since my wife originally took the week off in case we wanted to do something for our anniversary (we did see Ben Bailey at funny bone on Sat) I'm thinking I'll go make some time with my gals (2.5 yr old daughters home too so it ain't all fun and games.)

Great morning...I battled a red squirrel, passed a good doe, smelling deer often and just as I was finishing this a red fox came right under my stand.  Gonna pack it in a few...good luck all!

Edited by OtiscoPaul
  • Like 3

1 hour ago, Fletch said:

Had a spike and a doe come in. She was bigger than him and walked right under me so I was sure it was a she. Turned broadside at 30 yards. She went 30 yards and fell over.
93f47450895c1883f1c42b13c6c54cd0.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Way to go Fletch! Congratulations!

2 hours ago, OtiscoPaul said:

Second pass of the day...

That a$$hole red squirrel was napping In his treehole 10 yards str8 ahead of me I drew and held it on him forever but $40 arrow & BH sticking there for the rest of my days hunting here would have annoyed me.

Ive been thinking about bringing a cheap arrow and field point for the reds. There is one right by tonight's stand who gives me grief

In for post hunt coffee now. Deer were definitely moving today. I was not settled in 10 minutes when I got covered up in Doe n fawns. I watched em for a half hour before they disappeared into the neighbors clear cut area where all the Big Boys hang out. Had 2 small Bucks come out also. I was changing stands at 10 when I passed one coming up hill as  I was heading down to get closer to the thickets. He was at 45 yards. I had to keep trees between us as we passed so as not to alert him. Nice to see 'em on the hoof, but no big un's yet.

• Like 3

LOL I sent a message some where from my phone..obviously not here.. picture of huge limb across trail I walked down this a.m....lucky..What a PITA the entire 3/4 mile was branches huge and medium limbs trees and tree tops..literally every 2 ft. it's a wonder I saw any deer. Go to leave and see the deer that circled, out of range, had come in behind me and walked my foot prints out the way I came in..I thought I heard something coming in a couple of times...no it was them leaving. I can't see behind me at all.

BTW it was a fox not fix...though...with the crew next door...wouldn't surprise me:rolleyes:^_^

Perhaps I don't understand wind direction..I thought when the weather man says a NW wind the the wind would blow mainly FROM the north with angle coming from the west as well...Sun sets in the West  lakes are to my North yet there I sat with the wind blowing across me headed toward where the sun sets,,,did get some N winds and they were cold...10% chance of rain I'm soaked...I'll have to put my gear in the drier for this after noon...Glad to see those doe and fawn and the 7pt was slow and broadside at 28 so maybe his daddy will make a showing..It was fun watching how sneaky he was coming out of that swamp..I had done a short predawn rattling and grunting...I think that is what had him sneaking Around in there..

Ya...I left at 5:30 and it was getting light enough to see around me by the time I hit the stand! Then with all the rain we had I dang near lost a boot and had both feet stuck...all you could hear in the dark was ...SSSSSHHHHHHLLLLUCK!... LOL....right up to my ankle...^_^

2 hours ago, BowmanMike said:

Core,why don't you give the fixed breoadheads a try on a deer? If they group the same as the field points then I don't know why you are using mechanicals. Seems like you have tried those enough times,give the montecs a go and you might be surprised.

I dumped my walmart (Torid SS) front openers a couple weeks ago (no entry wounds) and went to a good mechanical (due to the reputation of their accuracy). Rage tested out well, but I then saw the montecs, so bought a box, and love the look of them (workmanship, no moving parts). But, I've only had them at the range once, at the end of last week. The few arrows I shot with them hit right on the money, so very good first impression. I will test them out again and then give them a go. To be honest at this point, though, maybe 1-2 more hunts with bow until crossbow starts. If I can get the montecs to hit where they should with xbow, they will be the ones I use for that as well.

Edited by Core
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, Jeremy K said:

Do some slow squats ,10-15 usually does it for me.

Thanks Jeremy...it wouldn't have helped..I wear the rubber over shoes on my hunting boots . This really cuts sound that my soles make...well when my foot sunk in the muck and got stuck...I'd gone up to my ankle...water seeped in between the outer rubber boot and the hunting boot and sat there soaking in and getting colder and colder...my foot stayed dry but dang my foot about froze!..lol sucked heat from my core...also forgot my seat pad...cold mesh steel on a windy day... MY bad!

Typical. Went through one side and hung up unable to get through the ribs on the other.
I'd like to get a chronograph for this bow now. I know it's at 60 because I tested it myself with weights last year. I don't have reason to doubt the bow other than the fact penetration is bad. Maybe something is off with it and there is a ton of energy not making it to the arrows.

Do you have a scale to see what you're drawing?

4 minutes ago, Buckmaster7600 said:

Do you have a scale to see what you're drawing?

Well kind of :). I hung my bow in the basement from the ceiling by the nock point, then I attached a backpack to the riser and kept adding weights to the bag until I discovered the very exact weight necessary to draw it. Then weighed myself, then myself with the backpack. I got down to adding cans of food at the end, so it was right at 60.

50 minutes ago, BowmanMike said:

getting ready to head out,think i am gonna sit in a triangle between a hay field,acorns and a swamp. Something is bound to come past there...

It's downright brisk out today. Really nice change of weather, good luck ^_^

Well kind of :). I hung my bow in the basement from the ceiling by the nock point, then I attached a backpack to the riser and kept adding weights to the bag until I discovered the very exact weight necessary to draw it. Then weighed myself, then myself with the backpack. I got down to adding cans of food at the end, so it was right at 60.
If the limbs are maxed out... the bolts will be tightened all the way down...no space seen....that will usually put 50-60 limbs at 61-62 lbs.

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

The wind picked up a bit here so I decided to head over to a groundblind I set up a couple of weeks ago. It’s sitting in an overgrown orchard on the downwind side of a corn and winter rye field. The farmer had to do some work to remove a falldown clog from the creek and the deer have been using the trail he left with the tractor. Lots of camera activity here in the afternoons.