Live From The Woods 2017 edition!

WNYBuckHunter

Typical. Went through one side and hung up unable to get through the ribs on the other.
I'd like to get a chronograph for this bow now. I know it's at 60 because I tested it myself with weights last year. I don't have reason to doubt the bow other than the fact penetration is bad. Maybe something is off with it and there is a ton of energy not making it to the arrows.

Do you have a scale to see what you're drawing?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

22 minutes ago, Core said:

Well kind of :). I hung my bow in the basement from the ceiling by the nock point, then I attached a backpack to the riser and kept adding weights to the bag until I discovered the very exact weight necessary to draw it. Then weighed myself, then myself with the backpack. I got down to adding cans of food at the end, so it was right at 60.

At dicks we have a bow scale, maybe your local one will let you get a measurement off it if you do any adjustments 

Well kind of :). I hung my bow in the basement from the ceiling by the nock point, then I attached a backpack to the riser and kept adding weights to the bag until I discovered the very exact weight necessary to draw it. Then weighed myself, then myself with the backpack. I got down to adding cans of food at the end, so it was right at 60.

What kind of bow is it?

4 minutes ago, BowmanMike said:

Just walked in to sit on the ground and got busted on the way by a 4 or six point. I thought i was sneakier than that... but i am not.

At least he was on his feet!

you wearing a deer costume? if not, that is your issue.

Edited by Biz-R-OWorld

24 minutes ago, Buckmaster7600 said:

What kind of bow is it?

PSE Stinger, 50-70, so it's not maxed. I could max it and the arrows are spined for that, but I know 60 is more than ample to get deer. I'm going to give fixed broadheads a go, and for next bow season consider getting heavier arrows. If I could get up to 500 range it would certainly help with penetration.

Core do you have a whisker biscuit on there? I feel like those always show a good hole through paper because they correct so much, not always a good indicator of nock travel

I do! The thing is so reliable, though.

39 minutes ago, The_Real_TCIII said:

Core do you have a whisker biscuit on there? I feel like those always show a good hole through paper because they correct so much, not always a good indicator of nock travel

Good call tacks.  Never considered that.   

a couple bows i've had you simply couldn't get rid of nock travel but you tuned it with bare shafts and everything the same.  arrows on the weak end, low FOC, not tuned for good flight will all lose KE.  i've also seen where the bow was tuned to shoot well enough but top or bottom cam hit draw stop before the other.  imagine there's some energy loss there as both cams aren't fully rotated.  whisker biscuits kill a little energy but not that much out of a well tuned bow, more so with traditional profile vanes.

• Like 1

a couple bows i've had you simply couldn't get rid of nock travel but you tuned it with bare shafts and everything the same.  arrows on the weak end, low FOC, not tuned for good flight will all lose KE.  i've also seen where the bow was tuned to shoot well enough but top or bottom cam hit draw stop before the other.  imagine there's some energy loss there as both cams aren't fully rotated.  whisker biscuits kill a little energy but not that much out of a well tuned bow, more so with traditional profile vanes.

That's why you gotta go with the blazers

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

Found four new scrapes this morning, three were little things, the other however was large and without a leaf in it. No rubs yet on my property though. Settled comfortably into a stand that I generally enjoy tonight though. Can see a little ways even with leaves still on. Best of luck to everyone tonight!

• Like 1

40 minutes ago, dbHunterNY said:

Im not saying the biscuit drags and steals energy, just that it can disguise a lot of issues because it corrects flight somewhat so a good tear isnt always accurate

1 hour ago, Core said:

PSE Stinger, 50-70, so it's not maxed. I could max it and the arrows are spined for that, but I know 60 is more than ample to get deer. I'm going to give fixed broadheads a go, and for next bow season consider getting heavier arrows. If I could get up to 500 range it would certainly help with penetration.

I do! The thing is so reliable, though.

Im not knocking the biscuit, I think theyre a great hunting rest. Just be sure your nock height and centershot are correct. is it wearing unevenly?

7 minutes ago, The_Real_TCIII said:

Im not saying the biscuit drags and steals energy, just that it can disguise a lot of issues because it corrects flight somewhat so a good tear isnt always accurate

i know what you meant and we're on the same page.  Some will argue loss due to pushing vanes through the bristles.  every see slow mo cam footage of one.  i was just saying there's a little more loss if it's not going through straight and being naturally corrected a little.  still not that much loss though.

• Like 1