Before and after

Nomad

Don't beat yourself up Larry.  She is beautiful and even with a little character scar, she remains that way.  What a great testament to your parenting that she doesn't freak out about a little thing like this and that she tries to put your mind at ease about the accident.  Once that heals all the way, a little make-up and no one will notice it.  Plus, if anyone asks, you know the guys will walk the line with her when they find out she shoots rifles.  I have a matching scar and my wife says it just makes me even more handsome.

Edited by moog5050
  • Like 3

If it makes her feel any better, my dad had shot guns for 50+ years before getting scoped. I witnessed it. He crept forward too much leaning on a bookbag in the snow in Wyoming when taking a shot at an antelope. Blood everywhere, got him on bridge of nose!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 1

She got knocked pretty good. Doesnt look any worse for the wear though. Hopefully one of these days we will get to see her with her 7-08 laid across a great deer!

I have never been scoped or had any other injury from a gun besides a bruised shoulder when I was a kid shooting a 12 gauge for the first time, and some bruises from shooting 3-4 rounds of clays per day with my old Over/Under 12 a few times.

• Like 1

She is as tough as she is beautiful!  Little bit of Mom and Dad there!  Been nicked a few times, and whacked good once, with the Deerslayer 2, 12 g. Trying to rest a shot, against a large tree.  Fits in nicely though, with all my other scars, so it's not even noticeable. 

• Like 2

Looks like it is healing nicely, head wounds always bleed like a stuck pig. She'll be back at it. I use my lead sled when targeting in more than 1 gun just to keep the old shoulder from getting bruised. I'm not a recoil pansy and don't flinch even if it does hurt but the lead sled makes it nice, especially for the wife although she doesn't use it with the .243. The .270 for the first time "surprised" her and prefers the lead sled at the range with that taking multiple shots. 

What is the recoil like with the 7mm-08?

Shooting my first real gun I didn't get scoped but with my father's 1100 12 gauge and slugs at the ripe age of 10 I punched myself in the nose. Got a bloody nose and couldn't see anything because my eyes were watering so darn bad. I did get scoped by my step dads .30 cal M1 carbine as a kid can't remember the age but had a black eye for a few days.

Thanks . Let's hope it stops there .

Ive had 2 stitches over one eye, 5 over the other , 6 center of forehead and 23 left side of forehead . Some have suggested I learn to duck .....

The recoil of the 7 08 is mild . I was surprised when I first shot it . She does fine off hand ( her past gun was a 20 ga 870 )  my picnic table is to low .  As she said last night " I was leaning over it like a pool que .

putting vitamin E on it and sunscreen when going outside down the road .

Edited by Stay at home Nomad
  • Like 1

Reminds of my oldest sons first deer , he was 16 and had grandpa's Marlin 336 in 35 Remington. A 3 point buck stood broadside at 75 yards. I was looking at buck through binoculars while he was lining up the shot, he fired and the buck flinched and ran off . He looks at me with blood running down his face grinning from ear to ear. The buck went about 50 yards and we found him easy track in the snow. He had a story and a scar, what more could you ask for.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 4

11 minutes ago, Biz-R-OWorld said:

@Stay at home Nomad By the way, I'm sure Sephora sells some really good anti-scarring cream.

when i was in college i was standing in the hallway of our frat house with some buddies waiting for the pisser to become available. it was a mexican party theme and we were all drinking margaritas out of the special glasses and of course we were all really hammered. anyhow i go to take a sip and my buddy goes to high five someone. As I'm sipping his elbow pushes the rim of the glass into my face and it shatters. I don't feel anything but the look on everyone's face told me all I needed to know. The cut was only a cm from my eye (someone was watching over me), but the blood started gushing good and a I had 5 stitches that night. After the stitches were removed i religiously applied this stuff call ScarZone i picked up from the drug store because the cut was right between my eyes. The stuff worked great and you can only see the scar when I tan or certain angles if you look really hard. 

• Like 3

Best of luck to her this fall.

Those scars are earned when you get them that way.

She looks like she took it in stride and kept on going...good job raising a daughter that bounces back at things life throws at her; it speaks volumes to her and your character.

Wishes to her for a complete healing and a big buck in that scope before season's end....

Not our best moment. She walked in to help me push a small tree over as I was moving back with the chainsaw. We met and both flinched as the saw hit which probably saved her leg. I grabbed my belt and tied her leg off, then threw her over my shoulder and put her in my truck. Drove like a madman to the hospital as she got on the phone with them to get them up to speed. 

Ugly wound. Under the knee, across the leg and deep, but somehow managed to avoid the bone and capsule. Just nicked the tendon. Off to another hospital and eight hours later the wound was sutured in the waiting room.  

The next day I walked into the LR to find my wife dancing in her brace. She lives a life of gratitude. As do I.

10 minutes ago, left field said:

Not our best moment. She walked in to help me push a small tree over as I was moving back with the chainsaw. We met and both flinched as the saw hit which probably saved her leg. I grabbed my belt and tied her leg off, then threw her over my shoulder and put her in my truck. Drove like a madman to the hospital as she got on the phone with them to get them up to speed. 

Ugly wound. Under the knee, across the leg and deep, but somehow managed to avoid the bone and capsule. Just nicked the tendon. Off to another hospital and eight hours later the wound was sutured in the waiting room.  

The next day I walked into the LR to find my wife dancing in her brace. She lives a life of gratitude. As do I.

not as bad but in a dumb moment a few years ago i had the wife hold the 15' extension ladder at its base as i was trying to cut down a rather large limb that was too high for my pole saw. The only reason I was even doing this was because on a previous project a much smaller limb swung down and almost knocked the ladder out. And this project in hindsight was dumb because the only purpose was to get more sun to the pool.

anyhow. branch (probably 12" diameter) comes crashing down and swipes her shoulder, then smashes her ankle. When I first saw it I feared it had hit her on the head as she was driven to the ground. She ended up with a nice road rash scar still visible to this day on her bicep and crutches for a few days. The cherry on top was my 2 year old sitting on the deck watching this. He's now 5 and reminds me to be safe whenever I get out the chainsaw. I now no longer chainsaw from ladders.

16 minutes ago, Belo said:

not as bad but in a dumb moment a few years ago i had the wife hold the 15' extension ladder at its base as i was trying to cut down a rather large limb that was too high for my pole saw. The only reason I was even doing this was because on a previous project a much smaller limb swung down and almost knocked the ladder out. And this project in hindsight was dumb because the only purpose was to get more sun to the pool.

anyhow. branch (probably 12" diameter) comes crashing down and swipes her shoulder, then smashes her ankle. When I first saw it I feared it had hit her on the head as she was driven to the ground. She ended up with a nice road rash scar still visible to this day on her bicep and crutches for a few days. The cherry on top was my 2 year old sitting on the deck watching this. He's now 5 and reminds me to be safe whenever I get out the chainsaw. I now no longer chainsaw from ladders.

Always be above the branch and never on a ladder. I learned the hard way like you mentioned, I figured because I was on the back side of the tree the branch couldn't get the ladder. Well it got just one side of the ladder tipped me clean off it from. I tied the ladder to the tree at the top and the chainsaw to the top of the ladder. I was only 12' up but still hit the ground hard but no injuries other than my ego. Last time I have trimmed off a ladder. I have put tree steps in the tree and used a harness I got from one of my stands or just take the whole damn tree down. I much prefer the 2nd option.

5 minutes ago, chas0218 said:

Always be above the branch and never on a ladder. I learned the hard way like you mentioned, I figured because I was on the back side of the tree the branch couldn't get the ladder. Well it got just one side of the ladder tipped me clean off it from. I tied the ladder to the tree at the top and the chainsaw to the top of the ladder. I was only 12' up but still hit the ground hard but no injuries other than my ego. Last time I have trimmed off a ladder. I have put tree steps in the tree and used a harness I got from one of my stands or just take the whole damn tree down. I much prefer the 2nd option.

yep that was my last as well other than a small 6' step ladder and using a pole saw for small branches. pole saw attachment for my troybilt trimmer may be the best $90 i ever spent. anything major from now on is getting hired out. I have pried and d.i.y attitude for almost anything, but sometimes it's just not worth it.

• 3 weeks later...
Back in the game ! Ten rounds down range ,prior to Sunday afternoons sit . Her being a nurse and I a FF there's like 3 or 4 times  all season who we're both off the saw time.
image.jpeg.fcafda044a08b148bbe09e07220eaff5.jpeg
Larry that your pink rifle she's borrowing?

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

• Haha 1

Actually , I love that little 7mm08 and plan on using it myself ! It's pink Muddy Camo btw , and was the only Savage they had in stock in that caliber .

I just sat down with are work schedules, Sunday afternoon ( and she'll be tired coming off nights ) and Dec 7+ 8 are it .

• Like 2