From the mind of an eight year old. Biggest deer in NY

BigVal

My 8 year old cousin shows huge interest in deer hunting and is always asking me questions. 

I went to dinner last night and he asked me a very straight forward question. What do you believe the biggest deer in NY to be? 

Obviously this goes tons of ways but do you think it's reasonable to say there's 200 inch free range bucks in any area?? 

I told him the biggest ones are the ones we see in his parents yard in Lancaster lol. 

• Like 4

My 8 year old cousin shows huge interest in deer hunting and is always asking me questions. 
I went to dinner last night and he asked me a very straight forward question. What do you believe the biggest deer in NY to be? 
Obviously this goes tons of ways but do you think it's reasonable to say there's 200 inch free range bucks in any area?? 
I told him the biggest ones are the ones we see in his parents yard in Lancaster lol. 

Lancaster here. Address please ? We can all take a group picture. Just saying.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  • Like 1

11 minutes ago, BigVal said:

No doubt, I'm sure there are deer that are that big. I haven't seen one in person but I have to believe they are out there. My sister saw one just outside of my hometown that was easily 200" She got 2 pictures of it. I never heard of anyone shooting it and it was not a high fence deer but in an area that does not allow hunting due to no weapons allowed (fire dept. property) and too close to housing development.

IMG_3036_zpshebtjzts.JPG

IMG_3034_zps5e3zklfv.JPG

• Like 4

14 minutes ago, BigVal said:

A guy killed a 200" in Ellington a few years back, a couple hundred yards from land I hunt lol

• Like 1

No doubt, I'm sure there are deer that are that big. I haven't seen one in person but I have to believe they are out there. My sister saw one just outside of my hometown that was easily 200" She got 2 pictures of it. I never heard of anyone shooting it and it was not a high fence deer but in an area that does not allow hunting due to no weapons allowed (fire dept. property) and too close to housing development.
IMG_3036_zpshebtjzts.JPG.58615224020be206b9596ebab3cd43ed.JPG
IMG_3034_zps5e3zklfv.JPG.c6da8a0a32c9112f55cc24b8ae8449b0.JPG

I can't believe that deer hasn't been poached yet... down here that buck wouldn't last a month

• Like 1

15 hours ago, Biz-R-OWorld said:

200" NET typical in NY? Never has been one killed yet, so idk?

200" NET NON-typical in NY? Of course, I would think at least 1 is killed each year, no?

@nyantler you are the expert, thoughts/comments?

We have a had a few 200+ non-typicals in the past few years... one last year in fact. The truth is a really big non-typical is 300+. But a 200+ typical in NY? I suppose it's possible, but I wouldn't hold my breath looking for one. A 180 typical buck is nearly impossible to find. NY puts less than 1 B&C buck in the book a year on average and that is 170 minimum. The buck Chas0218 posted is not even close to 200. Anyone that has seen the Roosevelt Luckey head in person can see what it takes to be a 200 class typical whitetail... hell, there hasn't been many killed in the world all time.

• Like 3

I am from Lancaster as well. There are a lot of big bucks that people see in the area. I think a lot of it has to do with certain areas being off limits to hunting. Some of the largest deer ive ever seen were in Stiglmeier Park back when people would feed them. 

There sure is 200" deer in NY, You just dont here of it as much because its not commercialized like Iowa, Kansas and Ohio are.. along with others. You put a good, big piece of ground together with great soil, and some genetic potential then manage it you will at some point grow a deer of that caliber no doubt.  

A man killed one here a few years ago in Palmyra that grossed 209" i believe. He hunts down the road from a couple places I have hunting access to, as well as an uncle that owns near this property. Pic attached. This buck is not on the best of managed ground either.. I know quite a few people in this area that hunt the same block of woods/surrounding properties basically.. Cropped out his face..

Also a man I know took a 188" gross buck down the road from my piece in Macedon about 14 years ago or so.. Which had a twin it grouped with during summer the same size. 

209 buck in Palmyra.jpg

21 minutes ago, LET EM GROW said:

There sure is 200" deer in NY, You just dont here of it as much because its not commercialized like Iowa, Kansas and Ohio are.. along with others. You put a good, big piece of ground together with great soil, and some genetic potential then manage it you will at some point grow a deer of that caliber no doubt. 

Are you talking about typical or non-typical scores here?  I am no expert on record book bucks and could really care less about antler scores, but isn't the world record typical something like 213" or so?  If that's the case, I would HIGHLY doubt there are too many "typical" 200 inchers roaming around ANYWHERE in NYS.   Hell, there aren't too many of those even in the well known trophy states if the world record is 213.   Sure, I guess one could technically show up anywhere in North America, but saying that one could grow one here in NYS is still a far fetched dream in my opinion.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, steve863 said:

Are you talking about typical or non-typical scores here?  I am no expert on record book bucks and could really care less about antler scores, but isn't the world record typical something like 213" or so?  If that's the case, I would HIGHLY doubt there are too many "typical" 200 inchers roaming around ANYWHERE in NYS.   Hell, there aren't too many of those even in the well known trophy states if the world record is 213.   Sure, I guess one could technically show up anywhere in North America, but saying that one could grow one here in NYS is still a far fetched dream in my opinion.

That was NYAntlers point and he nailed it. HUGE difference in Typical and non-typical and then factor in net VS Gross. I will say that ANY deer that is over 200 gross is something I would love to settle my crosshairs on. (not that I could settle them. lol)

Edited by Culvercreek hunt club

Scores typical or Non-Typical.. Anything is possible given the right circumstances. Nothing was mentioned about a being typical or non typical. If it were a typical it would be a 1 in a billion(or less) chance. I just meant in general. If deer were managed and let to grow, and basically get old like the rest of us. It is possible no doubt. not very common but possible. We have the right places in this state to do so obviously, but not just in "ANY" area. Im not into scores either, but deer are taken in heavily hunted areas as well as managed areas that top the 200" mark. Every so often. Pictures prove it. At my Camp that is highly unlikely, though i did see a giant non typical years ago, i dont think he was 200" I wouldnt even know where to begin scoring a Non Typ.... Get into WNYBH land of giants then yes lol Or anywhere with AG and Good soils.. 

I dont believe a buck should be measured by symmetry.. They should be scored based on everything they grow.. Deductions are waste of space IMO. But a 209" deer is more than likely going to lose many inches in its score based of these "deductions" no doubt. But it still grew 209" of bone...  

Edited by LET EM GROW

We have a had a few 200+ non-typicals in the past few years... one last year in fact. The truth is a really big non-typical is 300+. But a 200+ typical in NY? I suppose it's possible, but I wouldn't hold my breath looking for one. A 180 typical buck is nearly impossible to find. NY puts less than 1 B&C buck in the book a year on average and that is 170 minimum. The buck Chas0218 posted is not even close to 200. Anyone that has seen the Roosevelt Luckey head in person can see what it takes to be a 200 class typical whitetail... hell, there hasn't been many killed in the world all time.

I agree.

For everyone, here’s a 200” buck on the hoof. Pat Lefimine from Bowsite arrived this guy.

Wow those are some monsters, the biggest buck I ever saw while hunting was my first season. A huge non typical with a drop tine and a bunch of junk all around. 80 yards with one spot to shoot and I was more interested in calling my dad to tell him rather than try to calm my shakes.