Big game packrifle do they make them anymore ?

Hunter007

50 minutes ago, Elmo said:

Sauer 202

I have the predecessor  Sauer 200 in 30-06 and 243 for swapping barrels. Hard to find the true take-down forearm in anything but safari versions, they all swap barrels/take-down in that sense.

Discontinued for the new design 404.

• Like 2

You could do a fixed mag AR platform, that would get you a .308 or other calibers. I'm not sure what calibers are available but I know in the last 5 years they have a ton of different barrels chambered to all the popular sizes. Add a folding stock and the 2 removal pins it could get pretty small.

@WNYBuckHunter Is a little more versed on what is NY legal, but I'm pretty sure long as it has a fixed mag it can have any accessory you want short a silencer.

Edited by chas0218
  • Like 1

There are several makers of single shot rifles that paired up with the right case would make a big game pack rifle. CVA and Thompson Center make good quality and accurate single shot rifles that can be taken down.

I have several single shots I have hunted a lot with, some like Ruger 1 or the Browning Low Wall are not take downs, but have never felt them to be much of a disadvantage to hunt with. The first shot is the one that counts so make sure it is a good one.

Al

• Like 1

53 minutes ago, chas0218 said:

You could do a fixed mag AR platform, that would get you a .308 or other calibers. I'm not sure what calibers are available but I know in the last 5 years they have a ton of different barrels chambered to all the popular sizes. Add a folding stock and the 2 removal pins it could get pretty small.

@WNYBuckHunter Is a little more versed on what is NY legal, but I'm pretty sure long as it has a fixed mag it can have any accessory you want short a silencer.

correct

5 hours ago, chas0218 said:

No thanks 

Let me be a little more specific I want either take down  bolt action or lever action gun in 30-06 Even a single shot is fine .  A want   classic looking firearm. 

So far it's the Browning  blr 81 stainless take down I like anyone got one are they good guns 

Edited by Storm914

8 hours ago, Culvercreek hunt club said:

I've shot one of these in 30-06, long stroke forward and moving optic isn't my cup of tea and I found it awkward.

Not a conventional bolt action but Blasers system works for me travelling for most hunts;

30-06 and 243win;

SqGTmWC.jpg

• Like 3

18 hours ago, Storm914 said:

No thanks 

Let me be a little more specific I want either take down  bolt action or lever action gun in 30-06 Even a single shot is fine .  A want   classic looking firearm. 

So far it's the Browning  blr 81 stainless take down I like anyone got one are they good guns 

i have a browning BLR in 30-06 but not the takedown.  Just got it this year - its been the gun ive wanted for a while - love it. 

• Like 1

14 hours ago, Dinsdale said:

I've shot one of these in 30-06, long stroke forward and moving optic isn't my cup of tea and I found it awkward.

Not a conventional bolt action but Blasers system works for me travelling for most hunts;

30-06 and 243win;

SqGTmWC.jpg

I just happen to see it for the first time the other day. I liked to looks but the moving optics didn't do anything of me as well. 

Try an Ares SCR. It's NY compliant and compatible with all AR uppers so, if you just buy the lower, you can build whatever caliber upper you want (small frame, of course). I built a 6.5 Grendel upper with a pinned and permanently attached  thread protector and it's proven nice and handy, and a tack driver, too.

Just like an AR, you can pop the two takedown pins and the rifle breaks down into two pieces.

20171125_133408.jpg

Look into Savage arms they make a switch barrel . Just out of curiosity may I ask why you need it? I know a lot of guys like the switch barrel if hunting far and away . Some examples include Africa where one may be hunting multiple species and would want to bring different calibers or for doing a back pack sheep hunt with a long thick walk at the front end in brown bear teritory. However the thing that makes me ask is that you are only wanting it in one caliber. 

5 hours ago, Wildone said:

Look into Savage arms they make a switch barrel . Just out of curiosity may I ask why you need it? I know a lot of guys like the switch barrel if hunting far and away . Some examples include Africa where one may be hunting multiple species and would want to bring different calibers or for doing a back pack sheep hunt with a long thick walk at the front end in brown bear teritory. However the thing that makes me ask is that you are only wanting it in one caliber. 

Because I like big woods hunting  alone  walk miles from road and would like to have less  bulk on me when i drag out a deer with nobody around me to help that's why . And for travel and just storage. 

30-06 is because i have  already boxes of  the ammo for my other gun and fathers gun 

Just rather stick to what I'm use to shooting .

And its just a all around good caliber 

Edited by Storm914

I can understand hunting big woods alone. I have hunted Alaska 12 times all but two of those trips were solo and involved being dropped off by float plane in remote areas for two weeks at a clip. Packing moose and caribou on my back in grizzly country you always carry your rifle even to take a dump. Mountain goat in British Columbia backpack hunting every ounce you carry counts. 

Wanting to shave weight off of a heavy gun is understandable. Usually take downs don’t help in that department they just make tha package somewhat smaller. The savage will require you to have to reset the headspace and was more so designed so that guys could swap a barrel out if they shoot a lot and wear it out. Patrick Smith of Kifaru built at one time a custom takedown built on a rem model 7 that came in at 4.5 lbs. in a short action and would have 2 barrels for it in 260 and 358 win. He was an extreme backpack hunter. The Blassers previously mentioned are a bit heavy for long walks in the woods as they were not originally designed for that type of hunting they were more for the safari guys in Africa. Might I suggest looking for a rem mountain rifle in 06 or possibly a used custom lightweight? I know you said you had a lot of ammo for the 06 but to be honest ammo is easy to sell and pre packaged ammo can be shipped through the mail. If you want to shed some weight of of a heavy gun consider switching to a short action mountain rifle maybe in 308 if you want to stay in the 30 cal range or maybe 7-08 . The availability of sub 6 lb guns  opens up a lot more in the short action calibers and recoil is a joke. You don’t need as much gun as your toting to kill bear and deer. I have traveled extensively with my 7-08 and killed mountain  goats and huge 350 lb plus white tails in Canada with it. My buddies wife has killed Kodak brown bear with hers. I have another good friend who has killed grizzly with his 260. Ever think about a model 7  or just something in a mountain rifle configuration?

• Like 2

8 hours ago, Storm914 said:

Because I like big woods hunting  alone  walk miles from road and would like to have less  bulk on me when i drag out a deer with nobody around me to help that's why . And for travel and just storage. 

30-06 is because i have  already boxes of  the ammo for my other gun and fathers gun 

Just rather stick to what I'm use to shooting .

And its just a all around good caliber 

I stick with a one-piece lightweight rifle and instead invest in a quality pack so you can haul the deer out in a more efficient way. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Wildone said:

The Blassers previously mentioned are a bit heavy for long walks in the woods as they were not originally designed for that type of hunting they were more for the safari guys in Africa. 

About the best I can do Blaser wise, is my wood stocked R-93 and the right barrel, and a 2-7 light scope is 7lbs and a few ounces all up. Better than most bolt guns but not near the lightweight offerings on the market today.

One of the reasons designed was for owners who had to register the frame, but could own multiple barrels(that went away). Always having the same trigger and fit/feel was another.

+1 on buying a light conventional non take-down and shaving weight that way. Like the ease of travel with small gun cases, never have used the take-down ability in the field.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Wildone said:

I can understand hunting big woods alone. I have hunted Alaska 12 times all but two of those trips were solo and involved being dropped off by float plane in remote areas for two weeks at a clip. Packing moose and caribou on my back in grizzly country you always carry your rifle even to take a dump. Mountain goat in British Columbia backpack hunting every ounce you carry counts. 

Wanting to shave weight off of a heavy gun is understandable. Usually take downs don’t help in that department they just make tha package somewhat smaller. The savage will require you to have to reset the headspace and was more so designed so that guys could swap a barrel out if they shoot a lot and wear it out. Patrick Smith of Kifaru built at one time a custom takedown built on a rem model 7 that came in at 4.5 lbs. in a short action and would have 2 barrels for it in 260 and 358 win. He was an extreme backpack hunter. The Blassers previously mentioned are a bit heavy for long walks in the woods as they were not originally designed for that type of hunting they were more for the safari guys in Africa. Might I suggest looking for a rem mountain rifle in 06 or possibly a used custom lightweight? I know you said you had a lot of ammo for the 06 but to be honest ammo is easy to sell and pre packaged ammo can be shipped through the mail. If you want to shed some weight of of a heavy gun consider switching to a short action mountain rifle maybe in 308 if you want to stay in the 30 cal range or maybe 7-08 . The availability of sub 6 lb guns  opens up a lot more in the short action calibers and recoil is a joke. You don’t need as much gun as your toting to kill bear and deer. I have traveled extensively with my 7-08 and killed mountain  goats and huge 350 lb plus white tails in Canada with it. My buddies wife has killed Kodak brown bear with hers. I have another good friend who has killed grizzly with his 260. Ever think about a model 7  or just something in a mountain rifle configuration?

Yes I have thought about  It  also thought of times   snaging my rifles on  branches  which made me lose my footing more then once  and  falling because if it . And I know  from experience with a takedown shotgun  and 22  I own use for small game  it's a he'll of a lot easier to move through thick  woods and hills without having 7 to  10 ib of gun and scope  a  3 and half foot long   metal object hanging from your back.

I just like the versatility of them . When you hunting it's there together when done and  just want get  back to the road it's packed and out of the way  from snagging on branches it's just so much easier to move that way and they feel lighter when carry it that way better distribution of weight. 

Edited by Storm914

On 11/28/2017 at 11:24 AM, Lhotse said:

Try an Ares SCR. It's NY compliant and compatible with all AR uppers so, if you just buy the lower, you can build whatever caliber upper you want (small frame, of course). I built a 6.5 Grendel upper with a pinned and permanently attached  thread protector and it's proven nice and handy, and a tack driver, too.

Just like an AR, you can pop the two takedown pins and the rifle breaks down into two pieces.

20171125_133408.jpg

What stock is that ?  I have the the a2 rifle lenghth stocks on my Ar10 and AR-15 but one of those would be sweet

Edited by silent death

12 hours ago, silent death said:

What stock is that ?  I have the the a2 rifle lenghth stocks on my Ar10 and AR-15 but one of those would be sweet

It's not a stock, it's actually a new SCR lower made by a company called Ares. It's compatible with pretty much all AR uppers and designed to comply with laws in restrictive states like NY. I like it a lot, especially since it lets me change calibers/uppers at will, but I wish it was priced a little more reasonably. My lower ran just north of $600.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

10 hours ago, Lhotse said:

It's not a stock, it's actually a new SCR lower made by a company called Ares. It's compatible with pretty much all AR uppers and designed to comply with laws in restrictive states like NY. I like it a lot, especially since it lets me change calibers/uppers at will, but I wish it was priced a little more reasonably. My lower ran just north of $600.

They sell the whole gun like that there up there in price and every place you look says out of stock. 

Look nice but 

I really rather buy something in a 30 -06  cal 

I do exactly what you're talking about and have tried a bunch of different options and have settled on the fact that you can't have your cake and eat it.

A short light rifle with a good pack frame is the best that I have found. I can't remember what brand my pack frame is but its all carbon and weighs less than 3lb and has a lid capacity of 150lbs. Super light rifles in 30-06 aren't fun to shoot! I have a 30-06 tikka T3 with a 16" barrel and a leupold 1-6 Vx6 that is a hair over 6lbs loaded and it's about 36" long overall length. On the frame the gun is below my head so doesn't get caught on anything while walking. I have packed out a lot of deer from miles in with the rifle and meat on the pack and it works better than anything else I have found.
I have a BLR takedown in 358winchester and it shoots ok but is too heavy for my needs. A cva scout takedown could be a viable option especially with the barrel cut down but big woods hunting and a single shot don't really work for me because shot selection is often so limited that a quick follow up is often needed.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Thanks 1