Camo or not?

jmark

Who wears camo when hunting and why?  OK, let's maybe exclude turkey?  But what about deer?  Aren't they color-blind anyway?

And if you're in a ground blind with a black interior, wouldn't it be better to wear black?  

I spent a bunch of $ on camo gear, and now wondering if it's all just a marketing scam.  

Thoughts?  

Well. It's not a scam, but we definitely pay too much for camo . If you can breakup you silhouette your doing something. Can camo make you invisible ? Obviously not. For the blind hunts I'll definitely wear black or some dark camo prints I have. Depends on the weather. Last year I wore my black carharts in the blind late season. Camo is kind of a staple to wear while hunting, though.

Sent from my XT1650 using Tapatalk

Personally I love wearing my old school filson red wool jacket while gun hunting, i wouldn't feel right walking in the woods without that jacket and my charcoal color wool pants, guess I have an old soul but I think there's too much hype with camo in regards to deer hunting,  guys wore that wool setup for many years and shot countless deer with it

turkey and predator hunting I feel might be a different story tho....

It's a scam.. Camo looks good to us. Many deer have fallen to red and black plaid jackets and pants..

Think about it deer are brown and white and hard to see.. Why..movement slow deliberate movement.. 

Although breaking up your outline is important most modern camo is too complex and dark at anything over 10 yards.. There are a few open patterns that are designed for distance. Best bet is military digital camo or an asat. Pattern . or leafy cut clothes.. A ghillie suit ..   Designed to break up outline.  Not look like a whole Damn forest

.. In the North East our predominant trees are maple beach and hickory these are light barked grey trees .. Is your camp grey? No it usually brown black green and mossy....  Fine if you hunt pines or southern live oak. Ridges....

• Like 2

I think it's all about breaking up your silhouette  I use to wear a plan orange vest now I wear a camo orange i'm not 100% sure it matters but I feel more concealed

not all camo is the same I have a pair of pants that comes out bright like a neon light on a trailcam but looks normal to the eye. I kept getting pick off by deer and couldn't figure out why until I saw a pic of me and my brother standing together on a trailcam pic. I wish I still had the pic it was unbelievable..

4 hours ago, vizslas said:

I never switch. Its camo all season. I have a orange jacket but I never wear it. I dont hunt state land. I got  my rear end chewed out last year on this site. still wearing camo.

I will start with camo during archery.Some orange, jacket,hat,vest during gun season.Not wearing some orange during gun-muzzleloader is like being in tree stand with out a harness. State, private posted land or anywhere else without some orange is only asking for trouble.

My opinion only

I wear camo/also have a wool suit of my Dads.Camo is a money making concept I do not believe what you wear is a problem to the deer as long as your scent is covered.I have noticed that I can spot more hunters wearing camo in the wood's than regular clothes.My eyesight/Deer's  observation in the wood's is most likely to spot any movement.When Hunting State land I want to be seen so I wear blaze

6 hours ago, 52 farmer said:

I will start with camo during archery.Some orange, jacket,hat,vest during gun season.Not wearing some orange during gun-muzzleloader is like being in tree stand with out a harness. State, private posted land or anywhere else without some orange is only asking for trouble.

My opinion only

dont tell anyone but I dont wear a harness either. I dint climb with old stands either.yet I feel safe.