Same old issues..ar's or not

G-Man

You go explain to the general public that you want the DEC to make rules that are designed just so hunters can get bigger racks I don't think it is a Good idea and people who dont hunt look down on trophy hunters . Food hunters nobody has a problem with .

Food hunters don't want it either if it means more red tape and aggravation for them. Meat is meat you cant eat  the rack .

Edited by Storm914

19 hours ago, Storm914 said:

Every deer and hunter has to go to a check station in their area....

If there breaking the law there not going to just go to the check point .

It is not going to work for the most part people who do that do it on private property 

If you hang a deer in your garage or don't get it checked and go to the processor you will get a ticket plan and simple. All DEC has to do is add a barcode and start scanning deer and aska few questions that would make people nervous. Now if you shoot a deer and cut it up that night you might be able to get away with it long as no one blows you in or DEC doesn't see you hanging a deer. I wouldn't care about throwing my deer in the truck and driving it to a checkpoint if I had to.

• Like 1

33 minutes ago, Storm914 said:

You go explain to the general public that you want the DEC to make rules that are designed just so hunters can get bigger racks I don't think it is a Good idea and people who dont hunt look down on trophy hunters . Food hunters nobody has a problem with .

Food hunters don't want it either if it means more red tape and aggravation for them. Meat is meat you cant eat  the rack .

It isn't for bigger racks it's for holding people accountable about the deer they shoot and getting a real number of what is being harvested instead of this made up number. Not to mention keep people from poaching. 

• Like 2

Of all the things NYS needs to fix, I'm not sure the deer herd would even make my list .

Many non hunters would be happy to see no deer here, I was telling a friend about a poacher caught in a county park , her response was they should let him go kill more ! Too many in the area and she's sick,of dodging them on the road .

To say we're the worst is just silly . So deer hunting is better in Hawaii ? Florida ? Alaska ? R.I. ? Maine ? Washington ? How about Texas ? Mostly high fence and feeders on ranches there .

I could go,on but I gotta get to,the gym The women we be getting out of yoga class at 10 .

• Like 7

I'm just not seeing all this rampant killing on wives, kids, etc. tags where the DEC would want or need to have all deer checked into check stations.  I think this is a figment of some peoples imaginations.  Hell, people are barely hunting for deer with their OWN tags so I just don't see this mass killing on other peoples tags.  Not like the state will go thru the expense and logistics of setting up check stations for the few clowns out there who may be taking a deer or two with someone else's tag.

17 minutes ago, steve863 said:

I'm just not seeing all this rampant killing on wives, kids, etc. tags where the DEC would want or need to have all deer checked into check stations.  I think this is a figment of some peoples imaginations.  Hell, people are barely hunting for deer with their OWN tags so I just don't see this mass killing on other peoples tags.  Not like the state will go thru the expense and logistics of setting up check stations for the few clowns out there who may be taking a deer or two with someone else's tag.

Oh i can promise you it happens...and it happens a lot. I know of many in this area that have not reported a kill in years. Use the same tag over and over..You name it.  Point being the DEC has no clue how many are taken or how many we have. With that there is no way they can manage a herd.

On top of that..Reading the poaching thread reading that 1 DEC officer has to cover 200 miles?  Its no wonder they are never around this area. Hell i tried to get them to set up Robo deer on my land for guys blasting them at night..100% would have gotten shooters but they had no interest.  That was one of the biggest reason you will never see me ratting out someone for doing whatever they want when it comes to game laws anymore.  Its not on my land..Its not my problem. Maybe if the state tried to do something proactive that would change. 

21 minutes ago, steve863 said:

I think the guys who think that are either hunting in areas that are heavily hunted or parts of the state that the land just can not support that many deer because of lack of food .

Yea I'm sure if everyone around your hunting grounds  is a hunter you going to see less big bucks .

You Don't need a tag Cheet for that to be the case .

22 hours ago, Four Season Whitetails said:

And this post shows why Ny will always be at the bottom of the list of hunting states. 

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

It sounds like you are judging from the perspective of an antler worshiping trophy-hunter.  I am very thankful that NY state does not condone such idolitry.  As a pure meat hunter, I could not be much happier with the hunting in this fine state.  The only little tweaks I would like to see would be full inclusion of the crossbow, a third buck tag for those who buy a gun, bow and ML licence, and a year round open season on coyotes.  Keep up the good work NY state DEC !!

Edited by wolc123

7 hours ago, steve863 said:

that wouldn't be my thoughts on why it'd help a great deal.  DEC puts a lot of boots on the ground going to deer cutters and other places to get harvest data.  they assume a lot about a good portion of the harvested deer population.  it'd no doubt be better data and would help them accurately assess doe tag allocations if they did have check stations.

1 hour ago, wolc123 said:

It sounds like you are judging from the perspective of an antler worshiping trophy-hunter.  I am very thankful that NY state does not condone such idolitry.  As a pure meat hunter, I could not be much happier with the hunting in this fine state.  The only little tweaks I would like to see would be full inclusion of the crossbow, a third buck tag for those who buy a gun, bow and ML licence, and a year round open season on coyotes.  Keep up the good work NY state DEC !!

Coming from you this is about useless. You will still be able to kill all your baby buck and doe fawns so dont fret but by the looks of your past harvests you days of killing anything with antlers would be over regardless if they gave you a dozen buck tags.

Cant wait for full state Ar and 1 buck tag a hunter would top that off.

6 minutes ago, Four Season Whitetails said:

Coming from you this is about useless. You will still be able to kill all your baby buck and doe fawns so dont fret but by the looks of your past harvests you days of killing anything with antlers would be over regardless if they gave you a dozen buck tags.

Cant wait for full state Ar and 1 buck tag a hunter would top that off.

I have killed a fair number of buck fawns in the past but have yet to kill a doe fawn.  My practice of targeting antlerless deer in order of body size usually results in the escape of "little sister", when a family group gets in range.   I still have a few bb buck roasts in the freezer from last season if you want to stop by for a fine meal from that "fatted calf".    No luck with any this year though.   

Edited by wolc123

1 minute ago, wolc123 said:

I have killed a fair number of buck fawns in the past but have yet to kill a doe fawn.  My practice of targeting antlerless deer in order of body size usually results in the escape of "little sister", when a family group gets in range.   I still have a few bb buck roasts in the freezer from last season if you want to stop by for a fine meal from that "fatted calf".    No luck with any this year though.   

Yeah most with the lack of skills always kills the first baby to hit the field. You have been hunting how many years?  Congrats on your accomplishments....You should be proud.

Why is it that you say your a meat hunter but pride yourself on killing yearlings... ? It's like, hey I want meat so I'll shoot the deer with the least amount of meat. "Targeting deer in order of body size" I don't get it. I know your not after racks and the score that matters to you is the chest girth, so why don't you put in a little effort and maybe some patience and target deer with larger chest girth ?? As in, something OTHER than a yearling ?  

And please spare me the crap talk about how younger deer taste better. As you so generously offered, so will I, you can come taste a 6.5yr olds backstraps as I may still have some in the freezer.....

Sent from my XT1650 using Tapatalk

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, TreeGuy said:

Why is it that you say your a meat hunter but pride yourself on killing yearlings... ? It's like, hey I want meat so I'll shoot the deer with the least amount of meat. I don't get it. I know your not after racks and the score that matters to you is the chest girth, so why don't you put in a little effort and maybe some patience and target deer with larger chest girth ??

And please spare me the crap talk about how younger deer taste better.

I bet you he is going to say because the young ones taste better  anyway , more tender meet watch :taunt:

4 minutes ago, TreeGuy said:

Why is it that you say your a meat hunter but pride yourself on killing yearlings... ? It's like, hey I want meat so I'll shoot the deer with the least amount of meat. "Targeting deer in order of body size" I don't get it. I know your not after racks and the score that matters to you is the chest girth, so why don't you put in a little effort and maybe some patience and target deer with larger chest girth ?? As in, something OTHER than a yearling ?

And please spare me the crap talk about how younger deer taste better.

Meat hunting is simple ..bird in hand is worth 2 in the bush... pi k the biggest in front of you and shoot.. some people have limited time and access. They pay perhaps 200 between licence and travel evpenses to deer hunt and they are going to get something... 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, TreeGuy said:

And please spare me the crap talk about how younger deer taste better. As you so generously offered, so will I, you can come taste a 6.5yr olds backstraps as I may still have some in the freezer.....

2-1/2 year olds are my favorite antlered bucks to target.  They offer the best compromise of quality and quantity venison.  Based on chest girth and scull size, I think the buck I killed with my crossbow this season was 3-1/2, but he still tastes pretty good.   So far we have only eaten the tenderloins and a few pounds of grind.   His backstraps were big, but we have not tried them yet.   I have not eaten much that was older than 3-1/2, but I suspect that most free range bucks in NY reach their peak body size by 3-1/2, so why bother ?   The only significant difference I note in venison is that 1/2 year olds are way more tender than than older deer.   

"yearling" means 1 year old which are not available to hunt during legal season, just so you get your terminoligy straight.  I don't know if you mean 1/2 year olds or 1-1/2's when you use that term, so please clarify.   I hold off for 2-1/2 year old or older bucks with those two "antlered" tags until about the mid point of the respective seasons, at which time I switch to "brown-down".    I know you trophy guys detest us meat guys but I really appreciate all those "sub-par" bucks you guys pass on.  Some years they might be all that saves my family from "store-bought" chicken.  Thanks again for your continued support.  PM me if you want to trade a pack of 6-1/2 year backstrap for a 1/2 month roast.

Edited by wolc123

6 minutes ago, wolc123 said:

2-1/2 year olds are my favorite antlered bucks to target.  They offer the best compromise of quality and quantity venison.  Based on chest girth and scull size, I think the buck I killed with my crossbow this season was 3-1/2, but he still tastes pretty good.   So far we have only eaten the tenderloins and a few pounds of grind.   His backstraps were big, but we have not tried them yet.   I have not eaten much that was older than 3-1/2, but I suspect that most free range bucks in NY reach their peak body size by 3-1/2, so why bother ?   The only significant difference I note in venison is that 1/2 year olds are way more tender than than older deer.   

"yearling" means 1 year old which are not available to hunt during legal season, just so you get your terminoligy straight.  I don't know if you mean 1/2 year olds or 1-1/2's when you use that term, so please clarify.   I hold off for 2-1/2 year old or older bucks with those two "antlered" tags until about the mid point of the respective seasons, at which time I switch to "brown-down".    I know you trophy guys detest us meat guys but I really appreciate all those "sub-par" bucks you guys pass on.  Some years they might be all that saves my family from "store-bought" chicken.  Thanks again for your continued support.  PM me if you want to trade a pack of 6-1/2 year backstrap for a 1/2 month roast.

Dont fool yourself....You have not taken a mature 3 1/2 year old buck in the time you have been on this site. More like 120lbs yearlings. If you had a clue on deer or deer hunting you would know the difference in a fawn and a yearling and the age of each. Seeing though a buck with antlers its first year during hunting season would be 11/2 years old.  What a joke.

Why are you guys so concerned about what someone else is dragging home to eat? Is it some kind of bragging thing that is supposed to convince people that you are some kind of superior he-man hunter......lol. Is that what all this chest-beating is all about. Take whatever size deer that fits your needs and stop worrying about what others are taking.

• Like 5

12 hours ago, Four Season Whitetails said:

Yeah most with the lack of skills always kills the first baby to hit the field. You have been hunting how many years?  Congrats on your accomplishments....You should be proud.

If he has the tags for them, he can kill any damned sized deer he wants quite honestly.  If you don't like it, that's your problem not his.  Some of you clowns really do have a set of nads knocking someone for killing a deer that he has every right to kill if he so desires.  He, myself and others may suck as hunters, but at least we don't suck as much as some of you clowns who have no class or character.  

• Like 3

I for one have no reason to knock anyone for there harvests or style of hunting. My issue with wolc is his contradictions and the fact he is obviously trying to push buttons ( see what I did there ??) Unfortunately it's working on some. The guy can kill whatever he wants, they are his tags. Even more contradictory is if your a straight meat hunter yet you want to be involved in a public forum. So you want some comrodery ??? Yet you want to agitate those your trying to enjoy the sport with ? Idk.

As far as knocking skills, who am I to judge. I've had more years than not where I didn't get the buck I was after ! My intention was to ask a question as to why you wouldn't want to target deer with more meat on the hoof, when your hunting for meat. I use my buck tag for racks, and I want to get a mature buck, I don't settle for young deer cause that's my style.... Why do you say you want more meat but pride yourself on BB's?

• Like 1

I'm only for ARs if my doe tag is good for any antlered deer with less than 3 points on one side......lol

If there were antler restrictions where I hunt wouldbt ever get a buck.  If you own the land do as you want to restrict yourself.  Otherwise a tax payer and license buyer should have the option available to them.  

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Robhuntandfish said:

I'm only for ARs if my doe tag is good for any antlered deer with less than 3 points on one side......lol

If there were antler restrictions where I hunt wouldbt ever get a buck.  If you own the land do as you want to restrict yourself.  Otherwise a tax payer and license buyer should have the option available to them.  

So my taxes aren't as good as yours because I want AR's? We all pay state taxes and if we hunt we all buy licenses your license fee doesn't mean anything more than mine or my wife's.