Best survival rifle ever made

If you are in a true survival situation, where you're alone and trying to stay alive until rescue, this would be a good choice.  AR 7 in camo.  It will fill the need for food and defense, yet is compact and light.  You can also carry a lot of ammo in very little space.  I wish it was a .22 magnum, but it will do well as is.

https://www.henryusa.com/rifles/u-s-survival-ar-7/

Now if we're talking about a weapon for a total societal meltdown, I'd also be carrying a VEPR in .308 with a detachable scope and a Glock 21 in .45 ACP.

• Like 1

Are we talking a few nights in the woods or a teotwawki ?

Personally a take down 10/22 makes a lot of sense . Stores easy in cabins of planes , boats ,campers , I can tote a 1,000 rounds with ease in a daypack, everyone from your wife to smallest kid can shoot it  and it’s popular with poachers for a reason  .

ammo is cheap enough and plentiful that the average guy can store 1,000’s of rounds .

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Jeremy K said:

I certainly wouldn't want a .22 if my life was on the line . 

Depend on the load some of the high velocity 22 lr stuff  puts  out  200 Foot pound of energy . 

But I think if we are talking end of civilization type scenario a light carbine or submachine gun would be my choice.

Like the Beretta Cx4 Storm 

In 45 or 9 . 

In a  lost I need to survive  rescue situation probably a Ar-7

12 minutes ago, Jeremy K said:

I certainly wouldn't want a .22 if my life was on the line . 

Define "if my life was on the line".

The US Air Force used to give survival rifles to pilots in order for them to survive when their lives were on the line.  It's not supposed to be a combat arm.  It's supposed to be one that is best for a universal purpose, with the intention of allowing you to stay alive.

A little instruction in how to use it to survive is all that is required to be properly armed until rescue.

4 minutes ago, Storm914 said:

But I think if we are talking end of civilization type scenario a light carbine or submachine gun would be my choice.

Like the Beretta Cx4 Storm 

In 45 or 9 . 

I had a CX4 in .45 ACP once.  The trigger was so bad I sent it back to Beretta for repair and it was returned just as bad as it was prior to shipping it out.  My brother's 9mm CX4 has a better trigger, but still feels like crap in general.

The .45 carbine is good for close work, but the bullets drop too much for longer range shots at small game like squirrels, which may be your most available food source in the wilderness.  Plus, they really damage a lot of meat if you can't place really accurate head shots.

It's a neat little carbine, but needs improvement.  Beretta has lots of work to do on it, but I don't believe they are doing any.

5 minutes ago, Rattler said:

I had a CX4 in .45 ACP once.  The trigger was so bad I sent it back to Beretta for repair and it was returned just as bad as it was prior to shipping it out.  My brother's 9mm CX4 has a better trigger, but still feels like crap in general.

The .45 carbine is good for close work, but the bullets drop too much for longer range shots at small game like squirrels, which may be your most available food source in the wilderness.  Plus, they really damage a lot of meat if you can't place really accurate head shots.

It's a neat little carbine, but needs improvement.  Beretta has lots of work to do on it, but I don't believe they are doing any.

Know anything about the new inland m1 carbines 

That would be on my short list to .

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Jeremy K said:

The list of objects i can safely hide behind is really really long that will stop a .22. 

I don't think you would want to get hit by any bullet or be on the receiving end of someone spraying   you with bullets  for that matter . 

Yea even if it does not kill you right on the spot if you don't seek immediate medical attention there is  a good chance you could bleed to death or die anyway later on .

Edited by Storm914

3 minutes ago, Storm914 said:

I don't think you would want to get hit by any bullet or be on the receiving end of someone spraying   you with bullets  for that matter . 

Yea even if it does not kill you right on the spot if you don't seek immediate medical attention there is  a good chance you could bleed to death or die anyway later on .

We gotta stop LOL, i don't even like talking about it .

2 hours ago, Storm914 said:

Know anything about the new inland m1 carbines 

That would be on my short list to .

It's a good reproduction of an M1 Carbine, but the price is high IMHO.  I have a Plainfield Machine M1 Carbine from the 70's that I customized with a full Mannlicher style stock.  It is a great all around close quarters rifle that has enough power to kill deer if the shots are kept within 25 yards or so.  Not as short as some carbines made today, but still a lot of fun to shoot.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Rattler said:

It's a good reproduction of an M1 Carbine, but the price is high IMHO.  I have a Plainfield Machine M1 Carbine from the 70's that I customized with a full Mannlicher style stock.  It is a great all around close quarters rifle that has enough power to kill deer if the shots are kept within 25 yards or so.  Not as short as some carbines made today, but still a lot of fun to shoot.

Mcchaipp1- 

Just saw this 

Chiappa make a version of the m1 carbine in 9mm 

That uses any  Beretta 92 mag  

M1-9 Carbine

And ita half the price of the inland . 

That' tempting me to get one now lol 

Or maybe not seems to not have the best reviews. 

But maybe they worked out the bugs on the new ones .

Edited by Storm914

13 hours ago, Storm914 said:

I would make a stock and turn your longbow into a crossbow if civilization got down to that point   :)

Tell that to the French at Agincourt where 5,000 English longbowmen defeated 50,000 French having 5,500 men with crossbows.

The English were able to keep over 15,000 arrows in the air at any given time. A rate of fire that the crosssbows couldn't begin to equal even IF they were not pinned down by the deluge of arrows.

Edited by wildcat junkie

Depends on the type of survival,

Survival in the big woods with grizzlys and other big critters that wouldn't mind eating me? 12 gauge 870.

Survival against individuals that want to kill me? AR platform 308 or 223.

Survival in the nature of NY I would want 2 rifles a good 30-06 bolt and a good bolt .22lr both with a ton of ammo. Too many things to go wrong with a semi or pump and the bolt should be more accurate with less use of ammo. I can usually bang off 5 rounds on the bolt in 10 seconds actually hitting my target each time. Maybe a little faster with the .22lr.

For me, if SHTF, I would want either an AR chambered in .223 or an AK based rifle in 7.62x39. Either of those rounds are going to be pretty easy to find, no matter where you go, parts for either are pretty abundant, either one is capable of taking down most game or people, and they are easy to clean/maintain. If I could add a second firearm, it would be a 12 gauge pump, preferably a Mossberg 500 or Remington 870, for the same reasons as the rifles.

• Like 3

3 hours ago, wildcat junkie said:

Tell that to the French at Agincourt where 5,000 English longbowmen defeated 50,000 French having 5,500 men with crossbows.

The English were able to keep over 15,000 arrows in the air at any given time. A rate of fire that the crosssbows couldn't begin to equal even IF they were not pinned down by the deluge of arrows.

Yea but back then The English king at that time made them  train every day from childhood the draw weight on those long bows found at those battle fields  were all 80 to 130 ib . And they use to fire a  huge amounts of arrows all at one time into Columns of men .  That is a totally different scenario than one guy trying to survive on his own and for most guys being  able to turn  a bow into a crossbow if you can makes sense because most people will shoot it more accurately .

Edited by Storm914

3 hours ago, wildcat junkie said:

That settles it then! Crossbow full inclusion, as its a less effective weapon!

• Like 3
  • Haha 2

It would depend on what I was surviving!  If I had to go into the woods for a year solo it would be the 22, room for extra ammo and it will kill just about anything in NY I would eat.  If the Russians invaded I would want my 30-06, if anarchy broke out I would want a semi 223.

11 minutes ago, NFA-ADK said:

It would depend on what I was surviving!  If I had to go into the woods for a year solo it would be the 22, room for extra ammo and it will kill just about anything in NY I would eat.  If the Russians invaded I would want my 30-06, if anarchy broke out I would want a semi 223.

Wolverines !! 

06F7E601-2E2D-43C8-B6FB-15887C71B619.png

• Like 5

what am i surviving? always amazed they dont use 22's on zombie shows.

I haven't shot a ton of rifles but always liked the old m1 carbine as a good platform. good damage without a lot of kick. Next up would be the AK because you just can't kill it and when I shot a full auto one it was fun as hell. 

• Like 1