Self guided elk hunt

REDNECK4LIFE32

In 2019 or 2020 a buddy and I are planning on going on a elk hunt in Montana. Our goal is to train up and get our selves in the best shape possible to hunt the Rockies. Were planning a rifle hunt and setting up our own camp. I think were going to hunt for a week? Spot and stalk were thinking. As opposed to spending the big bucks and going with a guided hunt. Anyone ever did any self guided hunts for elk? Ive never hunted elk only whitetail and love venison heard elk is much better. Hopefully we get one down. Any advice is welcomed.

Well I have a freind who,lives in Great Falls, heres his bow elk of a few years ago. He’s a biology professor and avid hunter , my friend from Seattle hunts with him each year , and I have as well, if you’re interested I can ask around for  good areas  for you .

Keep in mind  it took 12 miles of walking to pack this one out .

oh we never paid a guide. Guys from work drove to Colorado for a diy bow  elk hunt and each scored .

30CB997C-42DE-4B0A-BC6B-A000EF8C4896.jpeg

Edited by Stay at home Nomad
  • Like 3

2 hours ago, Stay at home Nomad said:

Well I have a freind who,lives in Great Falls, heres his bow elk of a few years ago. He’s a biology professor and avid hunter , my friend from Seattle hunts with him each year , and I have as well, if you’re interested I can ask around for  good areas  for you .

Keep in mind  it took 12 miles of walking to pack this one out .

oh we never paid a guide. Guys from work drove to Colorado for a diy bow  elk hunt and each scored .

30CB997C-42DE-4B0A-BC6B-A000EF8C4896.jpeg

That's what I live for been a few years since I was in the service looking to get back to that shape to pack it out at those elevation. Any information you can give me that would assist me would be greatly appreciated. What's the average price after tags on self guided hunts? I know were driving out with my truck and gear and staying for a week I think. I'd love to do an archery hunt. I might bring both my rifle and bow still deciding. That is a majestic animal. I heard killing is the easy part, processing and packing out is the hard part but well worth it in the end.

Well I'm 5-9 210-215 Walk daily and push ups. Recent physical revealed all is healthy. During turkey season 6 miles to 8 miles day running and gunning. Summer swimming daily. Prior service never let go of my military mentality to let myself get out of shape. Still have that suck it up and drag on mentality even if I'm older and hurting. Trying to get back down to 190-200 was where I felt my best. My only problem is I love good food and a drink or 2

• Like 2

In 2019 or 2020 a buddy and I are planning on going on a elk hunt in Montana. Our goal is to train up and get our selves in the best shape possible to hunt the Rockies. Were planning a rifle hunt and setting up our own camp. I think were going to hunt for a week? Spot and stalk were thinking. As opposed to spending the big bucks and going with a guided hunt. Anyone ever did any self guided hunts for elk? Ive never hunted elk only whitetail and love venison heard elk is much better. Hopefully we get one down. Any advice is welcomed.

Do a lot of research. Step is deciding where you want to hunt (landowner permission or public land). Then see if you need preference points or an over the counter tag is available. Then once you have that nailed down you can look into driving/flying, hotels/tents, etc.

Not a ton of out of state hunters on this forum, so I would definitely suggest looking at the bowsite forum for help. It’s a great resource.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  • Like 1

Where in Montana are you looking to go? I spent some time there in guide school not far from Missoula. Lots of public land around the side of the state. It’s rough terrain though and you’ll need to be in the best shape to do it. The biggest problem people have is the elevation. I got a touch of elevation sickness my first hard hike in guide school, it’s no fun let me tell ya. I didn’t think it would be that big of a deal but boy was I wrong. I’d suggest strapping on a 80 pound pack and hiking the biggest steepest nastiest hills you can find here in order to get ready. When I went I was 18 and in the best shape of my life and trained for months before going and still got my butt kicked for the first week or so before I began to acclimate to hiking so high up.

It’s beautiful country though and you’ll love it. e12fce080b90cd3f6ee6274973c173cd.jpg
48307c89bda6b152dc45a8dbb56216ff.jpg

The best piece of advice I can give you is to study topo maps of the area your looking to go and find a few good high points to get up on to glass around for herds of elk. Don’t just go bushwhacking hoping to run into them, you’ll wear yourself out and most likely be unsuccessful. Get up high and let your Binos or spotting scope do the work for you. Find a herd and then look for a good bull in the group and make a plan to cut them off. Once you get in close you can start calling to pull the bulls in to range. Best of luck to ya!

• Like 4

• 2 weeks later...

I do Colorado elk trip every year it's a blast. Elevation seems to be a major problem for some people heading out west I would buy a elevation training mask to try and get acclimated as much as possible. Bring eye drops also it's a lot drier there and the drops will save you trust me! Also I thought you just couldn't go to Montana you had to have a sponsor of some sort to hunt due to so many people getting lost while hunting. Just something that was said to me before you might want to check on that.  Good luck happy hunting!

I do Colorado elk trip every year it's a blast. Elevation seems to be a major problem for some people heading out west I would buy a elevation training mask to try and get acclimated as much as possible. Bring eye drops also it's a lot drier there and the drops will save you trust me! Also I thought you just couldn't go to Montana you had to have a sponsor of some sort to hunt due to so many people getting lost while hunting. Just something that was said to me before you might want to check on that.  Good luck happy hunting!

I think whoever told you that was thinking of Alaska not Montana. Out of state hunters are required to go with a guide in Alaska. I don’t think any of the lower 48 have such a requirement, at least none that I’m aware of.

While we are touching on the safety aspects of back country hunting here, I will say that anyone who’s planning a hunt like this really needs to invest some time into learning navigation skills. You can buy the fanciest GPS you want but if your not going in with a compass and a map your just asking for trouble. Learn to use a compass and map like a pro before you go. It’s not hard, just takes a little practice. It could be a life saver literally. Wouldn’t hurt to learn some emergency medical and survival skills as well. All it takes is for your buddy to slip and fall and you could be faced with figuring out how to stop him from bleeding out 15 miles away from the truck. Of all the things I learned in guide school, medical and survival training were the two things they wanted engrained in our brains the most. Keeping people alive is the most important thing.
  • Like 1

Is that because they're sick of rescuing people? seems odd to require someone to hire someone else to use public lands.

I think so, it’s the rough wilderness areas. Similar rules as Alaska. Residents can hunt unguided but non residents require guides. Those woods are a lot different than NY.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

A guide is required in Alaska for non-residents to hunt  brown/grizzly bears,  sheep  and  I believe goats....No guide is required for moose, deer, caribou or black bears .

In most , if not all provinces of Canada  non residents are required to hire the services of a guide OR outfitter to hunt big game....In many cases you can hunt  on your own, but you are required to pay an outfitter for transportation, lodging,  and/or other services.

• Like 1

I did a DIY elk archery trip last year in CO. One thing I can say is make sure you're in great shape. A great resource is www.Rokslide.com. Awesome western hunting forum with tons of information. Happy to be a resource and answer any questions you may have. Shoot me a PM anytime. I came out empty handed, but it was an awesome experience. I also went in solo and was my first time ever western hunting.

BK

• Like 1

A patient of mine has been here twice with his son. Self guided but assisted.  Assisted meaning they will drive you all over the 6500 acres and show you where they typically move and also will bring a loader to your elk and bring it back to the cabins or tent site for you. Reasonable.  He raves about how they have been treated. The ranch is near Craig CO, near the northern border.  The women who owns it has been in the family for like 100 years, Good luck.

http://www.ylazysranch.com/home

1 hour ago, nybuckboy said:

A patient of mine has been here twice with his son. Self guided but assisted.  Assisted meaning they will drive you all over the 6500 acres and show you where they typically move and also will bring a loader to your elk and bring it back to the cabins or tent site for you. Reasonable.  He raves about how they have been treated. The ranch is near Craig CO, near the northern border.  The women who owns it has been in the family for like 100 years, Good luck.

http://www.ylazysranch.com/home

That looks like a great   place to hunt 

Edited by Storm914