Are there towns in New York State that allow gun target shooting on private property?

Hunter007

6 minutes ago, Storm914 said:

I know you can not in my town and County.

But was wondering if there are places in the state that still allow it on private land .

I know you can hunt but what about just target shooting ?

Not many. Look up the area you want to target shoot at and look at the regs. 'Cmom man! You come across as being "intelligent"! You should know this!

WTF  ??  I never heard of  such a thing...Where I live you can shoot anywhere outside the village limits  as long as you are not violating other  laws, such as shooting  too close to other buildings without permission or doing something stupid like shooting in an unsafe direction..

• Like 9

6 minutes ago, BigVal said:

I'd assume tons of areas

I mean like  hours of range  shooting 

Where people are going to know your not just hunting .

Because obviously people  hunt on their land  and may take 1 or 2 pratice shots if you know what I mean .

Edited by Storm914

3 minutes ago, Pygmy said:

WTF  ??  I never heard of  such a thing...Where I live you can shoot anywhere outside the village limits  as long as you are not violating other  laws, such as shooting  too close to other buildings without permission or doing something stupid like shooting in an unsafe direction..

You never noticed the signs that say no target shooting on state land?

3 minutes ago, BigVal said:

I go and shoot easily 500+ rounds every weekend either at our place in catt county or my buddies in Niagara. Never had a problem. 

Lol cool lucky you  they even tried closing down the one outdoor range near me because of noise 

No, I have not...However I have always had plenty of private land to shoot on..

I have hunted several  parcels of state land and have not seen any such signs.  However   I suspect it is not an issue here, since most   locals have access to private land to shoot on and there are also several gun clubs in the area where  people can shoot..

18 minutes ago, Rob... said:

Not many. Look up the area you want to target shoot at and look at the regs. 'Cmom man! You come across as being "intelligent"! You should know this!

But then we would not be having this conversation now would we:)

Maybe I should phrase it  like this then  , ( do you have neighbors that complain about you target shooting then.)

Edited by Storm914

4 minutes ago, Lawdwaz said:

In the thread title you mention private land and in your opening post you say private land.  WTF are you saying??

Because if they put the signs on some state parks you would assume they don't want you doing it on private land either in a lot of places  even though it would be really hard to enforce that unless you really shoot a lot of rounds and piss off the neighbors.

3 minutes ago, Storm914 said:

Because if they put the signs on some state parks you would assume they don't want you doing it on private land either in a lot of places  even though it would be really hard to enforce that unless you really shoot a lot of rounds and piss off the neighbors.

THERE's some clear logic......<<sigh>>...

• Like 5

Yes, my neighbor complains and there's not one thing that she can do about.

I've had 3 different agencies stop multiple times(Sheriff,State,DEC), and I'm legal. Sheriff got so sick of her calling individual barracks direct they no longer respond at all.

If you meet set back requirement.

And you don't violate local ordinances like noise, no discharge. (no local law against for my town)

The law doesn't care if I'm hunting(but have to meet those laws like a license and in season etc) OR I'm just clanging away.

I've sighted a gun and killed a deer the same day on my place.

Yes some State parks and certain classifications of State land that CAN be hunted, have no TARGET practice regulations, but its legal to discharge a hunting gun, or bow. 

• Like 4

45 minutes ago, Storm914 said:

I know you can not in my town and County.

But was wondering if there are places in the state that still allow it on private land .

I know you can hunt but what about just target shooting ?

What town and county do you live in?

What in the Wild World of Sports are you talking about ???

Everybody shoots on their land , I have a range on my farmland as does everyone around me .

One time when we were shooting an AK47 with bump stock, someone called farmer who rents my land ,but that was it .

• Like 3

I have a 400 yd range on my property. I don't use it frequently, but when I do, I can shoot for hours. So do a few of the neighbors. Never had a complaint. But then again, I don't do it late it the day or too early in the day. Target shooting is heard all around the nearby hills on any given weekend.

The closest I got to a complaint was when a non-shooting neighbor called after a particularly large container of tannerite went boom (probably should have kept it below 3 lbs - lol). Said she wanted to make sure our house didn't blow up. Then followed with a comment "you sure went though a lot of bullets today" as we were shooting all afternoon. I invited her to join us. She didn't, but we all got together for drinks that evening. All was well.

• Like 3

10 minutes ago, Steuben Jerry said:

I have a 400 yd range on my property. I don't use it frequently, but when I do, I can shoot for hours. So do a few of the neighbors. Never had a complaint. But then again, I don't do it late it the day or too early in the day. Target shooting is heard all around the nearby hills on any given weekend.

The closest I got to a complaint was when a non-shooting neighbor called after a particularly large container of tannerite went boom (probably should have kept it below 3 lbs - lol). Said she wanted to make sure our house didn't blow up. Then followed with a comment "you sure went though a lot of bullets today" as we were shooting all afternoon. I invited her to join us. She didn't, but we all got together for drinks that evening. All was well.

Funny and  in the more populated cities they  jump  like rabbits when they hear a backfire from a muffler. Lol 

You get the omg what was that a gun :)

• Like 1

I did a lot more target shooting with my hunting weapons when ammo was plentiful and cheap.  Now that it is scarce and expensive, I only shoot the minimum number of shots from each, to verify the zero each season. Usually that is just (2) or (3) shots, and I can get it all done over the Labor day weekend.  I take thousands more target practice shots throughout the year, but those are all sub-sonic from my kids BB-guns.  That kind of practice is a lot more enjoyable for me, knowing that it is almost free and does not rile up the neighbors.   I am big on the golden rule, and I know I really don't like to hear the neighbors shooting  when I am out hunting (because I see less deer activity when they are).   In fact, the only time I like to hear a gun go off is when mine is pointed at a deer or something else I intend to eat.      

Edited by wolc123
  • Like 2

I have a range in my back yard that is used multiple times a week. I’m legal, never had a neighbor complain. Most all of them shoot as well. Out here we all do our own things and keep our noses on our own faces. I don’t give a crap what they are doing and they don’t seem to care what I’m doing either.

If I couldn’t shoot on my property I would move! I pay the friggin taxes I’ll do what I want on it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 4