June 6, 1944 - D-Day Remembered

ADK Native

I had an Uncle who went in on the later waves.  He never talked about until I came back from combat myself.  One word described the carnage he dsaw...HORRIBLE.  One word describes the cunning and courage he employed to live and fight...UNBELIEVABLE.i

RIP my brothers of another war.

• Like 7
  • Sad 1

28 minutes ago, Wilderness said:

I had an Uncle who went in on the later waves.  He never talked about until I came back from combat myself.  One word described the carnage he dsaw...HORRIBLE.  One word describes the cunning and courage he employed to live and fight...UNBELIEVABLE.i

RIP my brothers of another war.

Wilderness... I thank your uncle and you for your service.   My father was wounded in WWII in ' 43 and discharged shortly after.  He rarely would talk about his time overseas, but regretted not being active during D Day. He mentioned loosing many friends that day.  

Sad this thread only has 2 other Posts.  

A generation forgotten by many, but not by me... 

Thanks for the post.  God bless those that sacrificed their lives, so we could post on this forum.  

Thanks Dad, I love you.  

• Like 3

I cant even fathom what D Day was like for those young men. Brave does not even begin to describe it.

A big thank you goes out to the greatest generation and to every generation after who fought to keep our freedoms.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The opening scene from Pvt Ryan with the allied beach assault is still imprinted on my brain. Can not begin to fathom what those brave soldiers were thinking or went through. Most certainly, they get my admiration and greatest appreciation for what the did for the allied efforts!

• Like 1

My Dad was in the army at the end of WW2.  He wasnt in during D Day but was for the dropping of the bomb on Japan.  He said the whole armed forces were frozen at that moment.    He was on a ship in the panama canal and they just stopped where they were.  He then saw action in the pacific even though the war was "over" .  People on the islands didnt know it.   He said it was pretty terrible and cant imagine some of the things he told me they had to do. 

Cant imagine going to the other side of the world and fighting in bunkers etc. and to see the carnage they seen and come back and live a life after.  Def the greatest generation that kept us free.  If not for them we would not have an America to live in.    

8 hours ago, grampy said:

Those WW2 guys were our greatest generation. 

Without a doubt. What they endured abroad and home is truly amazing. Compared to the perils of today like where did I put my cell phone; those men & women built the foundation of this country and we wouldn't be where we are today if not for them as far as I am concerned.

I always try my best to thank every service man and woman. Past, present.. here and gone.

They can never be thanked and or appreciated enough! My hat is off to all.

These younger generations are quite nerve racking.. Really makes for a strange feeling, seeing what they do and dont do anymore...

Its Sad really..