Opossum

Cory

So at work yesterday I opened up the door to a stairwell to go from the 2nd fl to the 1st and I thought someone had put some garbage behind the door next thing I know this guy is climbing my leg. I shook him off as I rolled down about 20 stairs. I wish someone seen the roll it was Hollywood type stuff. Bruised my back and sprained the left knee in the fall. All good hopefully back and knee will be better in a week so my Colorado hiking trip isn’t a bust.2DD82EB9-C3B5-4248-8E6B-9EB31D33AED2.thumb.jpeg.137fd3f9bf555861e7bfbb82ddd7942f.jpeg

1122AF8F-323C-4122-85A3-EF2792B639CC.jpeg

Edited by Cory
  • Like 2
  • Haha 4

I would have knit my shikkers! Glad the fall wasn't worse than it was! How did that thing get in there? For whatever reason, I've always held a bit of animosity towards opossums. They just look like big rats to me. Heal up and have fun in Colorado! 

• Like 1

Possums are not the brightest in the animal kingdom. Years ago driving home during a snowstorm in the middle of winter I came up on a possum trudging down the middle of a back country road, the snow banks along the road side were so high and steep he could not climb out of the road way. I stopped the car to see if I could help him get out of the road and when I walked up to him he just stood there looking pitiful and half frozen like he was not long for this world. I thought that maybe I could get him to a place where he would have a better situation so I picked him up by the tail, opened my car trunk and put him inside and went home trying to think of a place I could turn him loose. So I get home and open the trunk and there he was curled up in a ball sound asleep, at the time I had a couple of empty rabbit cages and decided to put him up in one of those until I could figure out what to do with him. He was easy to take care of as he liked dog food, it only took a few minutes of time to feed and water him while doing the rest of my chores and the days turned to weeks and I just said to myself when the snow was gone I would just open the cage door and let him go. And that is exactly what I did on a nice warm spring morning, after doing the chores I opened the possum's cage door and left it. So about noon time I go out to get my mail and there in the middle of the road was my possum friend deader than a doornail, flattened by a vehicle. All was for naught. :sorry:

Al

• Sad 5

When God handed out brains , the opossum was definitely at the end of the line. 

You guys know why they’re called “ grinners “?  Because even when they get run over and hugging the double yellow line they still have that big ole smile   Stupid things chew off the end of their tail when it gets partially frozen. Pretty sure they don’t get rabies as metabolism is too slow 

23 hours ago, airedale said:

Possums are not the brightest in the animal kingdom. Years ago driving home during a snowstorm in the middle of winter I came up on a possum trudging down the middle of a back country road, the snow banks along the road side were so high and steep he could not climb out of the road way. I stopped the car to see if I could help him get out of the road and when I walked up to him he just stood there looking pitiful and half frozen like he was not long for this world. I thought that maybe I could get him to a place where he would have a better situation so I picked him up by the tail, opened my car trunk and put him inside and went home trying to think of a place I could turn him loose. So I get home and open the trunk and there he was curled up in a ball sound asleep, at the time I had a couple of empty rabbit cages and decided to put him up in one of those until I could figure out what to do with him. He was easy to take care of as he liked dog food, it only took a few minutes of time to feed and water him while doing the rest of my chores and the days turned to weeks and I just said to myself when the snow was gone I would just open the cage door and let him go. And that is exactly what I did on a nice warm spring morning, after doing the chores I opened the possum's cage door and left it. So about noon time I go out to get my mail and there in the middle of the road was my possum friend deader than a doornail, flattened by a vehicle. All was for naught. :sorry:

Al

Sorry for your loss Al, but THAT's kinda funny.....Hehehe....

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

They do have a bit of a repulsive look to them with that rat like tail, scruffy fur and the teeth showing perpetual grin on their faces along with a lot of drooling. I would take a few every fall back in my coon hunting days, I was lucky to get a couple of bucks for their hides. I noticed that while my dogs would kill them they showed a lack of enthusiasm, definite displeasure in their smell and or taste and once they were dead wanted no part of them.

Al

23 minutes ago, Pygmy said:

Sorry for your loss Al, but THAT's kinda funny.....Hehehe....

LOL, I am not a possum lover but I do get soft sometimes when I see hard luck. That Possum must of had a death wish to be killed by a car.

Edited by airedale
  • Like 1

I kinda like possums myself...Just had to chuckle at the irony of your story...

Remind me of the old joke, what do you do if you are lost in the woods ??

Just find a possum and follow it...It will lead you to a road for sure...

• Like 1

23 hours ago, airedale said:

Al

That's proof, No good deed, goes unpunished.