The name “STEALERSHIP” well earned.

moog5050

So as I was performing my first full fluid change on the ATV I cross threaded the oil drain plug.  Considering it’s only accessible through a hole in the frame which can’t be reached by hand and it’s simply a tapped hole in the aluminum case (genius) it was a stupid but upon researching very common mistake.  Fixed it with a no leak plug but wanted to do it right.  

The proper method is the installation of a time sert - which is what the factory should do as it’s a permanent installation of steel threads. After watching it done in 20min on a few YouTube videos, I figured it would be a piece of cake but the whole installation kit ran $212.  So I call the dealer.  They have the kit and have used it many times not surpringly.  How much?  $150 for labor (1.5hrs) plus the oil.  Think about it for a while and decided I would never use the kit again since it’s size specific.  In this case 18mmx1.50.   So I say screw it and call the dealer again.  Same quote and I schedule an appt.  Drop it off yesterday and it was supposed to be done by noon.  Call at 2:15 and the tech hadn’t started but was getting to it soon.  Return call at 3:30 and it’s done.  I get there and am told $249.  For what, I was quoted $150.  Oh but it took 2 hours. I start laughing and explain that I watched several YouTube videos and it takes about 20-30min if you move slow.  I still agreed to pay for 1.5hrs knowing it doesn’t take near that long.  But I don’t expect to be charged more time than quoted. The guy goes on to try to explain that since the ATV has to be pushed on its rear front wheels up, it took 2hrs - yes literally to tip it up.  I told them I could do that in 2 min in my garage.  Happy to show them to save the rest of the customers an hour in labor.  I even mentioned the timing of the calls that proves it took less than 1.5hrs - all the while finding the squirming of the service manager very amusing.

Explained that I bought an expensive ATV from them and am happy to pay a fair charge for service but I expect to be treated honestly.  They agreed to reduce it $150 as quoted.

Wonder how many just pay the $249 and accept that tipping the bike up took extra unanticipated time. Lol.  They don’t call it a stealership for nothing.  Oh and you get way overcharged for the oil too.  Good news, unless I use an impact gun, I won’t be screwing the drain hole up any more. 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, WNYBuckHunter said:

Wait, why does it have to be pushed with the front wheels up? I push mine around in neutral all the time without doing anything special.

It’s just easier to work on the underside.  I just winch the front up when I want to get under there.   Since they have to drill out the old threads and retap for the time sert it is easier if it’s standing up.  It’s just comical that they make it sound like it’s time consuming.  I did it in a few minutes when I installed heavier skid plates.  

All car dealerships are based on the hours that the manufacturer designates for the job. If Ford says it takes 2.5 hours to change a power steering pump they will charge that even if it took the guy that has done 200 of them 30 minutes.  So usually you get boned right from the start.  My guess is they started the job and left it to do something else and billed the wrong amount of time cause that's what the tech put.  Then when you called them out on the labor they tried to come up with a lame excuse to cover the amount.  Good move sticking to your guns. They never come in under quote it seems.  Lol 

• Like 1

Just now, moog5050 said:

It’s just easier to work on the underside.  I just winch the front up when I want to get under there.   Since they have to drill out the old threads and retap for the time sert it is easier if it’s standing up.  It’s just comical that they make it sound like it’s time consuming.  I did it in a few minutes when I installed heavier skid plates.  

Oh, gotcha, yeah I do the same thing. I thought they meant they had to move it around on just the rear wheels.

The dealership I bought my ATV from has lifts and winches mounted on the ceiling for that sort of thing.

2 minutes ago, WNYBuckHunter said:

Oh, gotcha, yeah I do the same thing. I thought they meant they had to move it around on just the rear wheels.

The dealership I bought my ATV from has lifts and winches mounted on the ceiling for that sort of thing.

I am sure they do to.  It’s filers.  Plenty big. 

When I worked at a gas station as a kid, I used to charge people $5 a tire to change the air in their tires.  "Oh, yeah, you've got to do it at least once a year!"  I figured if they were dumb enough to pay me, I was enough of a jerk to take it.  

(I'm more honest now.  But not by much.) 

18 minutes ago, jmark said:

When I worked at a gas station as a kid, I used to charge people $5 a tire to change the air in their tires.  "Oh, yeah, you've got to do it at least once a year!"  I figured if they were dumb enough to pay me, I was enough of a jerk to take it.  

(I'm more honest now.  But not by much.) 

Did you change it from summer to winter air?    

• Like 1

Just now, Robhuntandfish said:

This was in the Deep South.  There's no such thing as winter air.

The critical issue is, how old is the air?  Old air is prone to shrinkage.  It's a common problem.  

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, Robhuntandfish said:

Funny thing: my Stihl saw has a little plastic “door” that you have to flip for cold/warm conditions. 

Fortunately I’ve mastered that 8-10 second job. :)

1 minute ago, Lawdwaz said:

Finnegan Pin and Kanutant Valve were “buzz” words from the late 70’s when I was a half ass grease monkey. 

Balance the radiator?!?!?!

Heck, there's all kinds of things people don't understand.  My family owned a speed shop and drag and roundy-round racecars (hey, what's racecar spelled backward!?).  I sold quite a few radial steering wheels back in the day.  Lots of people came back to tell me how much better they worked that the OEM product.  

1 hour ago, moog5050 said:

So as I was performing my first full fluid change on the ATV I cross threaded the oil drain plug.  Considering it’s only accessible through a hole in the frame which can’t be reached by hand and it’s simply a tapped hole in the aluminum case (genius) it was a stupid but upon researching very common mistake.  Fixed it with a no leak plug but wanted to do it right.  

The proper method is the installation of a time sert - which is what the factory should do as it’s a permanent installation of steel threads. After watching it done in 20min on a few YouTube videos, I figured it would be a piece of cake but the whole installation kit ran $212.  So I call the dealer.  They have the kit and have used it many times not surpringly.  How much?  $150 for labor (1.5hrs) plus the oil.  Think about it for a while and decided I would never use the kit again since it’s size specific.  In this case 18mmx1.50.   So I say screw it and call the dealer again.  Same quote and I schedule an appt.  Drop it off yesterday and it was supposed to be done by noon.  Call at 2:15 and the tech hadn’t started but was getting to it soon.  Return call at 3:30 and it’s done.  I get there and am told $249.  For what, I was quoted $150.  Oh but it took 2 hours. I start laughing and explain that I watched several YouTube videos and it takes about 20-30min if you move slow.  I still agreed to pay for 1.5hrs knowing it doesn’t take near that long.  But I don’t expect to be charged more time than quoted. The guy goes on to try to explain that since the ATV has to be pushed on its rear front wheels up, it took 2hrs - yes literally to tip it up.  I told them I could do that in 2 min in my garage.  Happy to show them to save the rest of the customers an hour in labor.  I even mentioned the timing of the calls that proves it took less than 1.5hrs - all the while finding the squirming of the service manager very amusing.

Explained that I bought an expensive ATV from them and am happy to pay a fair charge for service but I expect to be treated honestly.  They agreed to reduce it $150 as quoted.

Wonder how many just pay the $249 and accept that tipping the bike up took extra unanticipated time. Lol.  They don’t call it a stealership for nothing.  Oh and you get way overcharged for the oil too.  Good news, unless I use an impact gun, I won’t be screwing the drain hole up any more. 

Good for you, not going along with them putting the screws to ya!

The place where I purchased two ATVs, (Troy City Garage) were my "best friends", until after they had my cash. Then they tried nickle and diming me for everything they could, on sevice and parts. And treated me like I was a scumbag! After spending thousands in cash! Finally had enough, and told the service manager (part owner) what I thought of him, his business practices, lack of honesty, and integrity. In not so nice words, not very quietly, in front of other customers in the showroom. I'd had enough!

Started using (Ronnies) and those guys are fantastic! Always treated very fairly, for any parts and service. Always friendly and honest too. If quoted, that's what you pay! Could be why they are becoming the best dealership in this area.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, moog5050 said:

Good for you , I have been a auto tech for many many years and the horror stories I have people tell me just makes my blood boil .  Nothing I hate more than shops/ garages that try to rip customers off..  

• Like 1

It was only $50 but just tells me something about them.  I must have had my “never did any mechanical work in my life” suit on.  I did pay for them to balance the radiator though.  That seemed reasonable.  Lol
For that price, they should have tuned the high speed muffler bearings too! LOL

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

• Like 1
  • Haha 1