Starting Deer Season Early

moog5050

Have a great time. I just wish the state would stop issuing these things. I know there are arguments on both sides but change the rules. How about giving out more doe permits.....maybe to out of state hunters and so on. When those aren't filled issue the remaining one to the farmers. My friend who farmed over in Schuyler county got about 25 per year. He held them close and only gave out a few. If you think about it how many deer do you need to shoot to stop crop damage and its more than deer that does the damage. Have a great time and I hope you shoot one. I just think its a slap in the face to us hunters that the state allows it. This is in no way directed at Moog just my thoughts on the situation. 

21 minutes ago, First-light said:

Have a great time. I just wish the state would stop issuing these things. I know there are arguments on both sides but change the rules. How about giving out more doe permits.....maybe to out of state hunters and so on. When those aren't filled issue the remaining one to the farmers. My friend who farmed over in Schuyler county got about 25 per year. He held them close and only gave out a few. If you think about it how many deer do you need to shoot to stop crop damage and its more than deer that does the damage. Have a great time and I hope you shoot one. I just think its a slap in the face to us hunters that the state allows it. This is in no way directed at Moog just my thoughts on the situation. 

the issue isnt giving out more doe tags only 25 % or less of doe tags are filled. the problem is access. land owners who have damage should be made to open access to allow deer to be shot. but this is a liability issure so they give tags and owners can pick and choose who they let shoot them or shoot them themselves.  

• Like 2

1 hour ago, G-Man said:

the issue isnt giving out more doe tags only 25 % or less of doe tags are filled. the problem is access. land owners who have damage should be made to open access to allow deer to be shot. but this is a liability issure so they give tags and owners can pick and choose who they let shoot them or shoot them themselves.  

The deer just don't stay on the landowners property that has damage. Give out the permits to the people who pay for them. Then let the landowner get his share if any are left over. I have to say that in all my 40 years of deer hunting I never heard anyone sue against a landowner. 

14 minutes ago, First-light said:

The deer just don't stay on the landowners property that has damage. Give out the permits to the people who pay for them. Then let the landowner get his share if any are left over. I have to say that in all my 40 years of deer hunting I never heard anyone sue against a landowner. 

they are the ones that complain about damage. now if the dec went to surrounding land owners and issued them permits that would make more sense but people wouldnt fill them because they dont want to hurt the deer population. i know several people that report doe killed on their tags even when not filled because they dont want dec to issue more tags and reduce the population.

i do know of several timber companies that get nuisence tags and give them to neighboring land owners to assist in population control. 

ask permission to hunt any land and the most common reasononing behind them saying no is liability issues... sad but we live in fear due to lawyers.

giving you a permit does no good if you dont have access to the land the deer live on that need to be removed.

Edited by G-Man
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, G-Man said:

have to try again another day.. hope you can get one taken care of for landowner

Maybe it’s not as overrun as he thinks.  We hunt the other side of the rd.  Honestly my buddy cleared the does out on nuisance tags three years ago for the farmer - probably did too good of a job.  Now it has lots of bucks but early season only then they go find the does. elsewhere.   I wouldn’t mind seeing a few more does around.  But it’s not my primary hunting grounds.  There are some big boys there now though.

10 minutes ago, moog5050 said:

Maybe it’s not as overrun as he thinks.  We hunt the other side of the rd.  Honestly my buddy cleared the does out on nuisance tags three years ago for the farmer - probably did too good of a job.  Now it has lots of bucks but early season only then they go find the does. elsewhere.   I wouldn’t mind seeing a few more does around.  But it’s not my primary hunting grounds.  There are some big boys there now though.

I wouldn't be surprised if there's folks that are given those permits to fill and they "fake" it.  Meaning THEY don't think there are too many deer and don't really want to kill any so they just punch a tag and tell the landowner/DEC they kill't one.

I bet there are even guys that do that with doe permits too........

• Like 1

Liability issues?

Page 16 of the Hunting and Trapping Guide states that: "Whether or not the land is posted, New York State General Obligations Law protects landowners from liability for non-paying recreationists engaged in hunting, trapping and fishing on their property. Because of this protection, recreational liability lawsuits against rural landowners are uncommon. This protection does not apply in cases of willful or malicious failure to guard or warn against dangers."

Most landowners (in my opinion) deny access because they don't want armed strangers wandering around on their property.

18 minutes ago, Bigfoot 327 said:

Liability issues?

Page 16 of the Hunting and Trapping Guide states that: "Whether or not the land is posted, New York State General Obligations Law protects landowners from liability for non-paying recreationists engaged in hunting, trapping and fishing on their property. Because of this protection, recreational liability lawsuits against rural landowners are uncommon. This protection does not apply in cases of willful or malicious failure to guard or warn against dangers."

Most landowners (in my opinion) deny access because they don't want armed strangers wandering around on their property.

yep i know the law but 90% of land owners do not and use that as a reason not to let somone on their land as well as insurance agents seeling liability insurance to land owners. you even see ads in hunting magazines advertizing liability insurance for leasing and land owners

47 minutes ago, moog5050 said:

its not his job to analyze how many deer are there the dec is supose to inspect and issue proper number of permits. and bucks eat same as does. he may need to get permits that allow harvest of bucks. ive seen them allocated in orchards as bucks cause damage to fruit trees by rubbing.

These permits are needed because many of these farmers make their living off their land.   Issuing more doe permits to hunters has not been able to solve the problem, mostly because: by the time hunting season opens, the damage has already been done.    In many areas of NY state, hunting alone has failed to reduce the deer population to healthy levels, despite up to 4 DMP's per hunter, even if they are non-residents.  Land access plays a big role in that, but how are hunters expected to access non-maintained land, in close proximity to urban-sprawl, which provides sanctuary for deer ?      

Hunters tend to look at this from a biased perspective, thinking only about what is in it for them.  It is important to see the big picture.   The nuisance permits are a valuable tool that allow the farmers themselves to have some control over their own livelihood.    Deer populations that are above healthy levels is a bigger problem for more people than when they are below healthy levels.  Nuisance permits are a tool that can help the DEC move local deer populations towards optimum levels.  The more tools they have for doing that the better.  Full-inclusion of the crossbow in archery season would probably work wonders, but that is a subject for another thread. 

One problem I have with nuisance permits, is that the venison is often wasted, and just left in the fields to feed the coyotes and buzzards.  That seems like a tremendous waste of such a fine, "organic" farm-fed food source.  Somehow, those nuisance permits should be coupled with local food-banks, or shared with hunters like Moog, such that all that good meat goes to feeding people.   

Edited by wolc123
  • Like 1

I dont think this is a real issue on deer numbers unless your the guy who hunts right next to the farm then it may be an issue. As far as making landowners let people hunt there land thats BS they pay the taxes etc. not the state. And from what i was told by dec that the more doe permits that get filled the more they will issue for that area . Example if say 50% of permits get filled and they were predicting 25%, they see that as the area is overpopulated to many deer in that area and will increase the amount issued next year until they reach the %number. So by filling out tags and reporting kills that didnt happen you are actually increasing the number of permits next year...This is just what i was told unknown if its fact and deals with DMP not Nusiance permits