Anyone eat fawn?

First-light

I know what your thinking, get your mind out of the gutter. :)  Seriously, we all have eaten yearlings, how about a fawn you have hit with the car and the meat is still good? Probably not much meat but I'm sure there is some backstrap in there. Not that I will be cruising for fawn this weekend, just asking.

How good was it??

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

PEDOPHILE...!!... :) ... :P ...

Never thought of it, Burt...Actually, those backstraps would be about the diameter of a hot dog... A hind leg might make a decent meal though... Leg of vealison...

Years ago I was in Monterey, Mexico on business and went out to dinner with some locals..

The dish I ordered was the hind leg of a kid goat...It was very good..Reminded me of rabbit, as I remember....

I can imagine that it would taste great.  A lamb tastes better and more tender than a full grown sheep as does veal compared to beef.  I am sure the same would apply with meat from a fawn.  Sure there won't be too much of it, but I am sure it would taste awesome.

Had a friend shoot one a few years ago during late muzzleloader(you could still make out the spots) weighed 27lbs, would of never survived the winter. He says it Was the best meat he ever had... though we tease him it was only a sandwich..... got about 10lbs off it.

Had a friend shoot one a few years ago during late muzzleloader(you could still make out the spots) weighed 27lbs, would of never survived the winter. He says it Was the best meat he ever had... though we tease him it was only a sandwich..... got about 10lbs off it.

Wow that is small for that time of year, 10lbs of the best veal! I'm sure it was good.

No I usually cover the spots with brown shoe polish before I take it to the butcher!

Actually, fawn is very tasty. Also very expensive if you take it to a butcher. I shot one fawn ten years ago, on the last day of MZ Season. I was resigning myself to Tag Soup, when I jumped a antlerless deer and it run directly away from me, I took the animal down with a shot in the back of the head. Not realizing initially it was a small deer. YES.. I took a lot of ribbing over that one!

Anymore.. I don't shot yearlings or Does with yearlings, or spike bucks. Taking a fawn is also missing an opportunity of potentially losing out on a nice buck in the future. Never pick the fruit before it's time. Just my opinion.

Real classy there...wonder how many of those young hunters come on this sight ::)

I'm thinking the above comment is relative to a couple of replies on the previous page. It could be that a line was indeed stepped over there.