Lurker

Nytracker

Hey ,been lurking for a few months decided it was time to go legit. Had some minor issues getting started but I finally got an e mail activating my account. 

I have been hunting and fishing NY  36 or so years now. I live in Chemung county and have a small parcel  of land in Stueben .

I use to bow hunt up to 2 years ago until I  injured my shoulder. 2 years of hoping and wishing  I  finally  gave up and bought a crossbow. This will be my first crossbow season. Excited doesn't cover it.

I hunt  regular big game gun with revolvers.  I reload  and my  current favorite is the 480 ruger followed by 44 mag. I apparently  like all guns to start with a 4 however I have been toying with the idea of adding a 5 to the mix.

I have gleaned  alot of info here so  far and hope I can return in kind.

• Like 5

14 minutes ago, Nytracker said:

Hey ,been lurking for a few months decided it was time to go legit. Had some minor issues getting started but I finally got an e mail activating my account. 

I have been hunting and fishing NY  36 or so years now. I live in Chemung county and have a small parcel  of land in Stueben .

I use to bow hunt up to 2 years ago until I  injured my shoulder. 2 years of hoping and wishing  I  finally  gave up and bought a crossbow. This will be my first crossbow season. Excited doesn't cover it.

I hunt  regular big game gun with revolvers.  I reload  and my  current favorite is the 480 ruger followed by 44 mag. I apparently  like all guns to start with a 4 however I have been toying with the idea of adding a 5 to the mix.

Welcome aboard neighbor. I  like me some rugers also, lots of guys hunting with revolvers/ pistols on here. I bowhunt also and if the time ever comes I have to quit well  crossbow it is . Hope you have luck with crossbow.. 

Welcome as well .

Ive had trouble drawing my bow the last two years also  , sat out much of bow this year, will be out with my crossbow a lot the next two weeks .

I’m very excited . Let us know how you do .

1 hour ago, Nytracker said:

I have been fishing NY for closer to 50 years, but I also have 36 deer seasons behind me (38 small game).  The revolvers seem like they would be pretty neat.  Back before rifled shotguns were legal in NY, several of my buddies were using T/C contender pistols in 35 Rem.  I nearly went that route, going as far as taking the NY pistol course.  They legalized rifled shotguns before I got my permit, so I never followed thru with it.   I may have, had two of my best friends not missed out on what they claimed were "the largest bucks they ever saw" because their 35 Rem pistols failed to fire. 

The revolvers seem like a much better idea to me.  A couple years ago, an older friend brought over a Ruger single-action, stainless steel, scoped 44 Magnum for me to sight in for him (he had recently suffered a detached retina and did not want to do it himself).  He brought some expensive hunting ammo, and I missed the target completely with my first shot from 50 yards.  I was a little scared of it, and anticipated a big recoil.  I was very surprised that it actually was quite tame.   I explained that was probably the reason I missed the paper and he reluctantly gave me another round to try.   I put that one near the center of the target and he was "good to go".   He has lost interest in hunting now (I guess that is common for retired folks) but I can see where it would be fun to hunt with one of those.  He would probably sell it to me cheap if I ever got my permit.        

I flyfish for trout . Go north for steelhead a few times a year.

I have a couple contenders  currently working up loads for 357max. The older contenders had problems with long chambers. I have an encore 15 inch in 308 that's lights out too 200 yds. But I prefer my revolvers.

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, Nytracker said:

I flyfish for trout . Go north for steelhead a few times a year.

I have a couple contenders  currently working up loads for 357max. The older contenders had problems with long chambers. I have an encore 15 inch in 308 that's lights out too 200 yds. But I prefer my revolvers.

Mostly smallmouth bass for me, out on Lake Erie, the upper Niagara, St Lawrence, and a small Adirondack lake where my in-laws built their retirement home.  Do you tie flies ?   I take the bulk of my smallmouth bass on bucktail jigs that I tie.   I have made a few trout flies and even tried them once up in the Adirondacks, but only caught a smallmouth on them in that nice looking trout stream near the North Pole.   I do get out trolling on lake Ontario sometimes and take steelhead on rare occasion.  They are much harder to land that kings, with lots of "aerial action".  I did not get out there this year, but this was the last one from the year prior:

steelhead2017.JPG.981effa41d321ae9043a018237a9e35c.JPG

Edited by wolc123