First fly rod

johnplav

It would be dull. I've only taken one pic of a fish in my life and that was per the request of an Icelandic guide as I was lucky enough to catch a fish under impossible conditions. (I made him hold the fish.)

I mostly just shoot slow-motion video of every river I've stepped in. They're really boring.

I got a cabelas starter fly rod and reel combo set ages ago as a cheap way into the addiction and used that damn thing for years and years to catch steelhead and salmon. I fished with friends more expensive Rod and reels and no doubt could you feel the difference but no way was I going to spend that much to get started. Hell I still haven’t spent that much. I wish I had the time to still get out.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Biz-R-OWorld said:

Seems like a lot of work for a 8” fish. Heard the San Juan fly works good

And money. There were a few trips where the cost per fish caught made me shake my head. And then I tossed them back.  

Thankfully, I subscribe to the Thoreau misquote: Many men fish all their lives fishing without ever realizing that it is not the fish they are after.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Biz-R-OWorld said:

I've heard the 'Coyote Ugly' is pretty good too!  Will see if I can get Tacks to send me a couple to lose in the trees!!!

It's not really the size of the fish that matters in a lot of these situations. I can have just as much fun fishing small pocket water with a size 18 hares ear, catching 6" brookies as I do catching 20" browns. It's more about the setup, presentation, being stealthy, showing them what they want. I really enjoy sitting down with a whiskey at the fly tying vise and tying all afternoon. It's a lot more involved than most would think. Hell, I go through a lot of time and money to kill deer too, be cheaper for me to go buy meat but I do it because I love it.

Sent from my XT1080 using Tapatalk

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, chrisw said:

It's not really the size of the fish that matters in a lot of these situations. I can have just as much fun fishing small pocket water with a size 18 hares ear, catching 6" brookies as I do catching 20" browns. It's more about the setup, presentation, being stealthy, showing them what they want. I really enjoy sitting down with a whiskey at the fly tying vise and tying all afternoon. It's a lot more involved than most would think. Hell, I go through a lot of time and money to kill deer too, be cheaper for me to go buy meat but I do it because I love it.

Exactly. Im as happy catching little brookies in Adk beaver ponds as I am catching 6lb steelies. Later in the summer its like hunting, watch for that one rising fish and try and get a fly over him

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, The_Real_TCIII said:

Hey I wanted to send them you said you were a jig guy lol

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

I am, for bass!! 

But it really doesn't matter what I use for trout, even the 'Coyote Ugly' can't help me! Because I am probably the world's worst trout fisherman! I think I'm in the record book for that title!!! I've taken kids and first timers many times, and been out fished. I have been with really good trout fishermen, who were hauling in fish, one after another. They'd set me up with exactly with what they were using, only to grin and chuckle at my expense, when I caught nothing! Perhaps after every 1000 casts, I will have a trout feel sorry for me, and let me bring him in, to be released.

Pretty sure even the guides and instructors at Orvis have blacklisted me now too. Though I continue to add to their retirement fund. And there is always some new do-dad that I must buy from them.

So why waste a perfectly great fly like the 'Coyote Ugly', on a tangled mess in a bush, just beyond my reach.

But 2019 will be my year!!!!

Pretty sure I say that every year though.....................grin

• Like 2

32 minutes ago, grampy said:

I am, for bass!! 

But it really doesn't matter what I use for trout, even the 'Coyote Ugly' can't help me! Because I am probably the world's worst trout fisherman! I think I'm in the record book for that title!!! I've taken kids and first timers many times, and been out fished. I have been with really good trout fishermen, who were hauling in fish, one after another. They'd set me up with exactly with what they were using, only to grin and chuckle at my expense, when I caught nothing! Perhaps after every 1000 casts, I will have a trout feel sorry for me, and let me bring him in, to be released.

Pretty sure even the guides and instructors at Orvis have blacklisted me now too. Though I continue to add to their retirement fund. And there is always some new do-dad that I must buy from them.

So why waste a perfectly great fly like the 'Coyote Ugly', on a tangled mess in a bush, just beyond my reach.

But 2019 will be my year!!!!

Pretty sure I say that every year though.....................grin

We've got to meet up this summer, maybe the West Canada?

43 minutes ago, The_Real_TCIII said:

Ill bet theres a fly fishing forum out there with smoking deals from guys that always want the newest offering and sell last years

There is: https://www.washingtonflyfishing.com/forum/index.php?forums/17/

It can be overwhelming so it helps to know what you're after. For a first rod, I would advise the OP to go to a local shop and buy from them.

Edited by left field

Ive fished the Cabelas 5WT packages and they are great, or if you want to spend a bit more get the Orvis Clearwater. If you get "hooked" youre going to upgrade and diversify a little bit. Me and my buddy have gotten into fishing glass rods they are fun to cast. We also fish a little 7' 4WT in the late Summer when we tag team a spot, we fish together and alternate. Hes got a 7' Sage LLS, I've got the 8'6". Our agreement is the first one of us to die the other gets both rods lol 

One thing I would say is that the reel is mostly a decoration, get one with a good drag and youre all set. Put your money into rods and good waders
Exactly, it's just a line holder. No need to spend a ton of money on one, a good smooth drag is all you need for the bigger fish, small streams you really don't even need a drag. If you do any kind of cold weather fishing a sealed drag is a must because they will freeze up on you. I bought the below rod as my first and still use it. It handles 5lb smallies all spring and never an issue. Screenshot_2018-12-07-11-21-28.jpegScreenshot_2018-12-07-11-21-23.jpeg

• Like 1

9’ 5wt will treat you well. Take a look at the new Orvis Clearwater offerings. They should be available in the next couple months. I own 3 recons, have broke them all and had them repaired for free. It is just a matter of time before you break the rod. They have a shop in Rochester which makes life easy. Reel doesn’t matter much until you get into lake run fish.

Clearwater: https://www.tridentflyfishing.com/orvis-clearwater-fly-rod-1.html

Their recon rod is amazing for the price: https://m.orvis.com/category/recon-fly-rods

You can score good deals off https://www.speypages.com/speyclave/92-spey-classifieds/#/forums/92?page=1

It is a 2 hand forum but guys sell all kinds of sticks. I’ve scored a couple brand new for 50% off retail.

• 2 weeks later...
On 12/7/2018 at 12:20 AM, The_Real_TCIII said:

@The_Real_TCIII Please please please start a live from Patagonia thread!

Holy shit ... Patagonia.

Just spent a day with an 88-year-old gaucho on a private day-long ride into a 5000 acre estacia, who shamed me with his energy, ease on a horse and joy of life. His skill with fire, meat and salt is unparalleled. The particular ranch was founded by a Texan named Jarred Jones and was the first in the region, originally 50,000 acres. Of historical note, in 1905 Jones entertained three Americans who heard about him and wanted to hear some english again. They were Butch Cassidy, The Sundance Kid and Etta Place.

Damn.

• Like 1