Live From The Water 2019 Edition

WNYBuckHunter

Spent the first half day fiddling with deer stands. Saw how dang great and overcast it was and said I should be fishing! 3 hours later on a north pond in the kayak. 2.5 hours fishing and boated 13, 10 keeper bass. Caught a dandy 19” on a frog that got put back. Then caught a pig 21.5” 6+ pounder that got put back as well. Good day!
7167ad82805fce0a27cd3de95b47293b.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 11

36 minutes ago, doebuck1234 said:

Heading to charlotte pier in a few hours.meeting up with buddy at work to give it a go.have never caught a salmon so hopefully some pics to come this afternoon!

The Somerville side was always better for me. Less people, too. Good luck.

• Like 1

Filled the box tonight with some chrome fish from the deep water. Felt good to be back out there. Teenagers only, no matures but they will fit nicely in the smoker. Prob last king run of the season.

Side note, tagged a nice steel on a spoon I painted, which I think is pretty cool !64b03d8c29f472968ed9521ff152f199.jpgd21573e549d56b9458db018e4def94c8.jpg

Sent from my LM-V405 using Tapatalk

• Like 9

Wasn't looking good for catt, so headed to sturgeon, which was also rocking so snuck out of small boat harbor. the lake was rocking and the winds were howling. Kept it close to shore and managed to catch some fish. Always a good trip with my fishing buddy. e65b65dddc490bc76147b0a90fa6a61c.jpg3d23e03ca37e28fa8c2c73c79b7fbdf5.jpg

Sent from my LM-V405 using Tapatalk

• Like 11

So looked out the window at 3 and said wth I should be fishing! Called outa work early, loaded the kayak and drove 40 min to a north pond. On the water about 4:40. Fished for 2 hours and boated 16 keeper bass and lost a couple more. Biggest was 18, kept three 15-16 inches for some fillets.

b743bbb07ac39800f6295212decee412.jpg

59c20db31b8c4cdb356de19ef1d66986.jpg

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Fletch said:

So looked out the window at 3 and said wth I should be fishing! Called outa work early, loaded the kayak and drove 40 min to a north pond. On the water about 4:40. Fished for 2 hours and boated 16 keeper bass and lost a couple more. Biggest was 18, kept three 15-16 inches for some fillets.

b743bbb07ac39800f6295212decee412.jpg

59c20db31b8c4cdb356de19ef1d66986.jpg

Largemouth bass fillets are my favorite.  That is all I am going to be eating this winter because that was all we caught on our St Lawrence trip this year.  In the "eating advisories" for NY state, they say they are ok for men over 50, but not for women and children.  I mark all the vacuum sealed packages.  My wife and kids get all the Lake Erie and upper Niagara smallmouths (those are supposedly ok for women and children), while I get the St Lawrence stuff.   I prefer the largemouths for cleaning, because they don't beat up my thumb as bad when I am knocking them in the head with a shilali.  The smallmouths definitely fight better and are a lot easier for me to find in quantity around home.   My wife made us a "mixed batch" last Thursday and it was awesome.  I polished off the leftovers for lunch at work Friday  

I prefer bass over walleye and perch because it has more oil in it and does not dry out like they do while baking, broiling, or grilling.  Those are much healthier ways to prepare fish than deep frying.  Walleye and perch are better for frying, if you prefer that method.   

• Like 1