LIVE From The Woods 2019 - Lets hear stories and see some pictures!

fasteddie

When your doe to buck ratio is too high, the bucks don’t have to come because they barley move to find a doe.

So here is a question I agree completely but let’s say I have a 30 acre piece of land and in one season 4 deer get taken, am I killing of my resident does and then next year the bucks will be chasing does just not My does because they are gone ?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  • Like 1

5 minutes ago, Chef said:

So here is a question I agree completely but let’s say I have a 30 acre piece of land and in one season 4 deer get taken, am I killing of my resident does and then next year the bucks will be chasing does just not My does because they are gone ?

I think if you really want some  land to buy for good hunting .big bucks and lots of  does  you need hundreds of acres . With few neighbors that hunt around you

30 acres   probably not going to get you the results you are looking for my friend.  I have family that tried that  They don't get huge deer . 

Heck yeah.  I would be interested.  Love to add one to the rotation.  I am also seriously considering trying to pass 3yr olds starting next year and see what happens.

I highly recommend it, at least if you have good neighbors or a bunch of land. The 3 to 4 jump is really impressive, we had one buck put on 40”+ of antler and the rutting behavior is way more pronounced. The 4+ year olds are still rutting pretty hard in my woods. My hunting partner wants to eventually get to passing 4 year olds too in several years and only take 5+ year olds but idk if we will get there.

I think if you really want some  land to buy for good hunting .big bucks and lots of  does  you need hundreds of acres . With few neighbors that hunt around you
 30 acres   probably not going to get you the results you are looking for my friend.  I have family that tried that  They don't get huge deer . 

Buddy I currently have 30 acres and I understand that. That’s why I asked the question about land I did yesterday I’m looking to go a little further from the city in a better WMU and buy close to 100 acres why comment when you don’t know shit about the situation

Well I cut a track this morning,but it went both ways was actually stepping in the same track so I followed it up the mountain then down and up another it cut around the top of the second mountain and headed down that was it for me. I wasn’t sure I’d get out before dark without dragging a deer. It was pretty cool seeing how it moved through the woods. I felt like it was going to pop out any minute the whole time.

a6b8caa8f9a68eac3de58b108f8262df.jpg&key=2e716fb196aebc4a485485792dae116c53898dacc7d7e773dcf657ef639df7dc

You can see the other track on the left.

46948f6e694874a651c4cc0290da775c.jpg&key=f28f99aa7043c8fbf504a1fa928b882477c961476e9a19616626ac224dedf0bf

This is from the top of the first mountain looking back at the swap we started at.

46a513dfea4abd4c04cb60210b7f0790.jpg&key=4fa155a4f3a498f4912cd67a66405c037ec13a39fe6e5c7eda9617d1bd117d7f

He went down there. That’s when I called it off.

To say it was intense is an understatement.

• Like 5

46 minutes ago, left field said:

Man, sat this morning. Nothing. Sat this afternoon. Nothing. Beginning to think I totally suck at this. 

On another note, a neighbour - nice guy, Eastern European, barely speaks English - stopped by and while we were chatting offered to let me hunt his stands. I’ve never been on his property so wanted to check them out. As I walked up I noticed a lot of deer tracks in the snow. Came to the stand to see a salt block and auto feeder with corn everywhere. Second stand has the same set up. 

Really don’t know what to do. Don’t feel right about reporting him and not sure I want to confront him. Probably won’t see him again until the spring. 

Walk away, nothing worse then a neighbor who doesn’t like you. 

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, Chef said:

30 acres ain’t gonna hold does. Not the numbers we’re talking anyway. It really depends on your surrounding properties, I shot 4 does off my 40 acre property last year, friend shot one, dad shot one so 6. We saw WAY more bucks and mature bucks this year and still a healthy amount of doe. Only took one this year but I’d shoot another still. We’ve taken 4 bucks there this year.  Neighbor has 160 acres no one hunts, other neighbor has 40 no hunting, neighbor across street has 40 and only shoots 3.5 or older bucks. Last neighbor shoots anything that moves but only in gun season and they spook them all off their property on first weekend.

Edited by Hock3y24
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Chef said:

Buddy I currently have 30 acres and I understand that. That’s why I asked the question about land I did yesterday I’m looking to go a little further from the city in a better WMU and buy close to 100 acres why comment when you don’t know shit about the situation

Hey go for it all I know is My cousin  did that got 100 acres  with  nothing around but farm land 

This place  and he still don't shoot no giant bucks off that property 

Canajoharie, NY

You need hundreds  and hundreds to really do the trick .

Edited by Hunter007

37 minutes ago, TheHornHunter said:

I highly recommend it, at least if you have good neighbors or a bunch of land. The 3 to 4 jump is really impressive, we had one buck put on 40”+ of antler and the rutting behavior is way more pronounced. The 4+ year olds are still rutting pretty hard in my woods. My hunting partner wants to eventually get to passing 4 year olds too in several years and only take 5+ year olds but idk if we will get there.

Both parcels I have are bordered by no hunting sanctuaries at least partially so I do think it would be worthwhile.  It may be a few years of eating tags but worth it to have better shots at older class deer.   As you said, the jump from 3 to 4 can be dramatic. 

You are not going to like it but it works not moving .
Needed to make the rear  sight higher was shooting low .
So I Just heat formed some plastic  cut a  notch in it at the proper height. Has no weight to it  so the recoil has no effect  that I can tell and I shot it over  30 times  to test it out and sight it in .

20191125_160020.thumb.jpg.658f1880717764830eb3bb5d1f4895f0.jpg

Sweet, looks cool man!

• Haha 1

59 minutes ago, Hunter007 said:

Total BS, you dont have a clue. Ill put my 40 acres property up against any 500 acres piece near me. Its not the size, its what you do to improve the land and what the land naturally has to offer. 

• Like 1

Total BS, you dont have a clue. Ill put my 40 acres property up against any 500 acres piece near me. Its not the size, its what you do to improve the land and what the land naturally has to offer. 

So I know this isn’t the thread for this but how would you improve a 30 acer property where 20 of it is a steep hill almost the entire property is wooded

52 minutes ago, Hunter007 said:

Hey go for all I know is My cousin  did that got 100 acres  with  nothing around but farm land 

This place  and he still don't shoot no giant bucks off that property 

Canajoharie, NY

You need hundreds  and hundreds to really do the trick .

Even a 1000 acres  wont hold a buck down. Nice to have a couple hundred acres but totally unnecesaary to kill quality deer. Id take a quality 30 acre peice over a 300 acre mediocre  piece any day of the week. 

• Like 3

10 minutes ago, NYBowhunter said:

Even a 1000 acres  wont hold a buck down. Nice to have a couple hundred acres but totally unnecesaary to kill quality deer. Id take a quality 30 acre peice over a 300 acre mediocre  piece any day of the week. 

Killed 6 3yr old bucks on the same 30acre parcel this season.  Surrounding lands make a huge difference.  

• Like 5

1 minute ago, Chef said:

So I know this isn’t the thread for this but how would you improve a 30 acer property where 20 of it is a steep hill almost the entire property is wooded

Some of my land is steep mountain side as well  portions that are  deep ditches a stream that runs entire length of property,  woods with both good proprtion of hard and soft mass and a ton of crab apple trees. I had a few existing open fields  that i converted to food plots, but i wasnt satisfied had a guy come in with a dozer and made a trail to acess the top of my property and put in two more plots. I also set aside an approx. 10 acres piece in the center of my property and desiginate that as a sanctuary,  the only time i have ever ventured in there was to retrieve a deer, otherwise i stay out. Have not been in that sanctuary in 2 years.  Food plots, sanctuaries, water and how you access all this plays a huge part in sucess of both harvesting and holding deer. But im a realistic person and i know that 40 acres or 500 for that matter will not keep a buck or doe confined to my land. But i will do whats needed to give them a reason to be there (or pass thru).

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, NYBowhunter said:

Yea agread That would mean 30 acres around maybe hundreds or thousands that almost nobody hunts .

How are you going know that before you buy such a place that is what he needs to know .

The seller will just blow smoke up your ass tell you what you want to here so that probably not going to work .

5 minutes ago, moog5050 said:

Killed 6 3yr old bucks on the same 30acre parcel this season.  Surrounding lands make a huge difference.  

Bingo, absolutely.  I literally know a 1000 acres piece by me that does not hold a candle to my 40. Im not bragging, but like anything else location, location, location and to give myself some credit i bust my hump to improve the land just a little bit more each year. 

• Like 6

27 minutes ago, NYBowhunter said:

I think your both right so relax. It really depends on the area. The more acreage you have the better your odds should be. Less pressure, less chance of a neighbor harvesting it, so on.

And yes you can make great things happen on smaller parcels but you have to have great surrounding as well, neighbors are non hunters, mass ag crops and so on. 

• Like 3