Grizzly takes shotgun blast at point blank range

Hunter007

All I want to know is can anyone figure out what round he used in that shotgun , slug ,buck shot , bird shot ?

Because looks to me he hit it right in the head i can't imagine if it was a  slug  ,  how the  heck  did it not do more damage  at  that  range.  

Edited by Storm914
  • Like 1

Okay, so there might be questions about ammo, but really think there's a bigger issue with this video!

I love my dog, to a point...! I wouldn't have engaged a mother grizzly (or black) bear with cubs using a shotgun after firing warning shots and the bear not responding! Sorry pooch you're on your own, if you want to play with bears I'm NOT putting my life on the line to save you!

After watching this video and seeing the (left pane's) action, re-watch it reading the right pane's dialogue. Paraphrased; He intentionally shot at bear's side due to not wanting to kill it. Duh, seems more like a him or me scenario.... becoming a bear snack or putting the bead between the bear's eyes!!! Fortunately this encounter had a happy (??) ending, but it wouldn't have been posted if it went differently, right!?! Pretty sure the bear will not stop protecting its' cubs, so let's hope the dude learned a lesson.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Storm914 said:

All I want to know is can anyone figure out what round he used in that shotgun , slug ,buck shot , bird shot ?

Looks like he used bird shot but more importantly he didn't aim to make the shot count. Looks more like a point and shoot so probably most of it did no damage at all.

• Like 1

This could have been avoided if he'd just left momma bear alone. She only did what came natural to her, protecting her cubs. 

She must have taken a good hit to roll her like that. Probably ran off and died a slow death.

I'm all for protecting myself. Wouldn't want to be chewed on by any bear. But any time I see a black bear here with cubs, and we do, I give them a wide berth. 

• Like 1

I've seen black bear hit with 12 gauge slugs that roll like that and run off.  If the slug doesn't hit a vital organ, the bear will run off.  He may have put a slug into her, but didn't hit anything vital.  It doesn't look like it was a head shot. 

Going out there with a double barrel shotgun and shooting a warning shot first, was dumb.  You don't want to find yourself being charged by a Grizz with one shot in your gun.  He should have been carrying something with multiple shots capable of killing a Grizz, like a pump gun with a full mag.

Also, when a Grizz charges you, you're an idiot if you don't shoot to kill.  If it charges you, it means to kill you and you better not miss.  He's lucky he was close enough to the house to get inside.

• Like 1

I just read an article where a woman and her 10 month old baby were killed by a Grizz outside their cabin. Cubs or not a person has to be able to protect themselves, family, their Dogs or livestock in their yard. In my opinion the dog was probably doing what it was supposed to be doing, trying to protect it's area and family. The problem is Grizzlies are aggressive and will try and kill the dog. Could have been a much worse situation had there been kids out playing in the yard and no one armed. Hopefully a lesson learned from that homeowner, have a weapon loaded for bear and shoot to kill.

When one lives in wild places these types of incidents happen more than one would like. On my Airedale message board I had two photos recently posted of two different Canadians having their dogs run off Bears.

https://www.nbcnews.com/news/world/mother-10-month-old-daughter-killed-grizzly-bear-outside-cabin-n941156

Al

2009-11-10_122441_zpshc5tcf5s.jpg

2018-11-04_182921.png

Edited by airedale

What is point-blank? that bear was coming strait in and this shooter didn't blast it in the head waited to blast in its ribs cause he/she didn't want to kill it.Yup just another dumb question that I answered my self.This fool was under gunned for what he was doing.Point blank to myself is under five feet from my target.point blank is the distance of a flat shooting ammo not shot loads.

Edited by Dom

26 minutes ago, Dom said:

What is point-blank? that bear was coming strait in and this shooter didn't blast it in the head waited to blast in its ribs cause he/she didn't want to kill it.Yup just another dumb question that I answered my self.This fool was under gunned for what he was doing.Point blank to myself is under five feet from my target.point blank is the distance of a flat shooting ammo not shot loads.

You think it was a RIb shot I couldn't tell only watched it from my phone  to small to see on it .

7 minutes ago, Storm914 said:

You think it was a RIb shot I couldn't tell only watched it from my phone  to small to see on it .

From the video it appeared that was the shot placement also from the muzzle blast  it looked like shot load.I could be wrong.

• Like 1