Ouch

Elmo

Thanks for the tips.

That was actually from last weekend.  The color just started to really set in the last few days.  First time with the bow.  Most of the damage was done at the end when I was starting to tire a little and had also switched over to the recurve.  I really enjoyed it.  Will definitely buy a compound in the future just to shoot at the range, etc at first.  I won't hunt with a bow until I'm good enough to gaurantee a clean and ethical kill.

I won't hunt with a bow until I'm good enough to gaurantee a clean and ethical kill.

You cant guarantee anything, especially with hunting, and bow hunting in particular. Bad shots come with the territory and can happen for many reasons that are way out of your control.

What Im trying to say is dont be too hard on yourself, put in your practice time and youll be ready before you know it. I shot for 2 years before I hunted with a bow.

Oh, and dont lock your elbow on your bow arm. If you need to to get your bow drawn completely, your draw length might be set too long.

Are you using a D-loop and or a wrist strap release? You can reduce the required draw by eliminating the d-loop but even more by using a t-handle thumb release. Last year I was hitting my forearm whenever I had all my gear on and no arm guard. Or just reduce your draw length on the bow.

D-loop helps keep shot quiet though.

The compound had a d loop and wrist strap release.  The recurve I shot with fingers.  I don't really have my own bow so I was using the rental ones at the range.  I kept locking my elbows a lot especially towards the end of the day when I was getting tired.  From 10 yards out, I would get 3 out of 4 arrows into a one and half inch grouping.  The fourth arrow was all over the place.  My form isn't consistent enough yet, I don't think.

I bought a realease one time that was missing the tension adjustment screw. I sent it back to the manufacturer and they returned it with one. I thought I had tightened it down enough and took it out to the back yard to give it a whirl. I got the bow pulled about half way back and the string released and caught me in front of my arm gaurd and my whole forearm turned a deep purple. Probably lucky I didn't die from a blood clot.  :)

Too bad! I have an older bow just sitting in the garage. It's a 30.5" reach.

Thanks for the offer.  I pulled an old bow out of my brothers garage.  It's over 20 years old and it's at 29.5".  I had it touched up and re-strung.  Haven't actually taken it out to shoot yet.

I think what happens is that my form is fine when I'm focused.  If I'm taking my time on every shot, I don't have a porblem.  But once I get into a flow and I stop thinking about it, I start to lock my elbows.  Next time at the range, I'll see if I can record myself.

Too bad! I have an older bow just sitting in the garage. It's a 30.5" reach.

Thanks for the offer.  I pulled an old bow out of my brothers garage.  It's over 20 years old and it's at 29.5".  I had it touched up and re-strung.  Haven't actually taken it out to shoot yet.

I think what happens is that my form is fine when I'm focused.  If I'm taking my time on every shot, I don't have a porblem.  But once I get into a flow and I stop thinking about it, I start to lock my elbows.  Next time at the range, I'll see if I can record myself.

Have you been fitted yet? You should be getting your draw length measured and your bow set accordingly.

• 2 weeks later...