snipers shooting deer in East Amherst

goosifer

I have been a part of a bow hunting program that hunts public parks normally closed to hunting/discharging firearms as explained above. The “work” the people and the program are doing is helping. It has been working for 8 years I think and still have not “controlled” the population. It is costly still(county employees to manage the hunters, signage, presentation costs to state leg, tree stands...no bait!).

Most years the group removes about 100 deer from 6 parks...sounds like the sharpshooters do a “better job” depending on what the goals are. Making land available to hunting does not seem to be the concern...protecting the flowers, roads and protecting our designer dogs from ticks seems to be the goal and is easier with a quick shoot.

One more thought: the county needs to call it a “forest management program” and “sell” the program to the powers that be as a program to regenerate the forest. It is not a “deer killing program” - local constituents would not get behind that.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 2

9 hours ago, mlammerhirt said:

Guessing they gotta fill the spot of the guy taken off the road patrol ...so probably extra pay somewhere along the way.
Can't believe the police union would let them drop number on patrol in order to use someone for deer duty.

Sent from my moto z3 using Tapatalk

It's a officer getting paid to sit in a stand. Not overtime to my knowledge. You want to talk about a waste of money in Amherst? It's that our police are Walmart security.  Amherst put in that super Walmart at bailey and Sheridan- cops are there all day. I wouldn't doubt if they take 10-20 calls a day there. 

• Like 2

8 hours ago, TACC said:

I thought suppressors were illegal in NYS, but I guess it is ok for these snipers.

When they are shooting varmint poontang

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

They are not legal for just anyone, but police units use them. LEOs and retired LEOs dont have to abide by the safe act either as far as i know.

6 minutes ago, Rattler said:

Did you miss the line in the article where the LEO put a bullet through someone's window when he missed the deer?

Do you understand no one got hurt?  Hundreds of rounds have been shot without hitting homes or businesses.  They do this in areas VERY close to homes and businesses with great success in reducing the deer population.  

Maybe you missed the 25 years that this has been going on?  Accidents happen in every profession.

17 minutes ago, Lawdwaz said:

Do you understand no one got hurt?  Hundreds of rounds have been shot without hitting homes or businesses.  They do this in areas VERY close to homes and businesses with great success in reducing the deer population.  

Maybe you missed the 25 years that this has been going on?  Accidents happen in every profession.

True, but the original purpose for preventing average hunters from hunting deer in these areas was because it was deemed unsafe by the elected officials.  They like to portray hunters as beer swilling low lives that nobody should want anywhere near their homes.  Hunters were asking to do the job with archery equipment, which is much safer, and they were told they weren't qualified to do it.  This is what I meant when I said these politicians despise hunters.

Police officers do not necessarily have any special deer hunting skills that would qualify them to be out there shooting at deer.  They may be well versed in weapons and shooting at targets, but if they don't have years of experience with deer hunting, accidents are more likely to happen.

I wonder how much money has been spent over 25 years to have the police shoot deer.  It also seems the program isn't working any better than having bow hunters do it since it's been ongoing for 25 years and is still a problem.

Edited by Rattler

In most of these places a hunter would be within the 500 foot rule to discharge a firearm and bow hunting alone has been proven NOT to be an effective method to control an overpopulated deer herd, so honestly there probably isn't much of a choice than to hire these snipers in these confined areas.  They get the job done and it doesn't create the media circus and anti-hunting sentiment that would occur if you allowed in hunters with guns.  You'd have news crews up the hunters butts if sport hunters were allowed to take part in a cull like this and if anyone thinks that they would put a positive spin on the proceedings is honestly kidding themselves.

• Like 3

9 minutes ago, The_Real_TCIII said:

Ten years ago if you drove N French Rd from Transit to NF Blvd you would see 40+ deer. Now it’s a surprise to see even a couple

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

30 years ago in a cut corn field where North Rockingham Way is now, I rode my Honda Big Red 3 wheeler with a buddy looking for shed horns.  I had binoculars with me and as we rode up to the edge of this field we stopped and counted over 100 deer, 27 of them were carrying antlers. 

The deer were out of control and something had to be done.  Sure, it wasn't their fault but ours, humans.  Nobody will argue that.

The cry for bow hunters is always heard; at the time there was no way they (myself included) could begin to put any kind of a dent in the problem. 

At first the farmers were issued permits that were very effective but then the police got heavily involved and that's when the population was reduced to manageable numbers.  

Each winter the police employ their tactics to keep the numbers in check.  

It'd be great if the Town of Amherst would let bow hunters assist in keeping the numbers in check but they aren't interested in that.  That's unfortunate........ 

• Like 4

18 minutes ago, Rattler said:

It also seems the program isn't working any better than having bow hunters do it since it's been ongoing for 25 years and is still a problem.

When you were 3 years old and you got your first haircut, did you think it would last all these years?

How about your car, do you ever change your oil?

Mow your lawn?

I'm sure you get it........

19 minutes ago, steve863 said:

They get the job done and it doesn't create the media circus and anti-hunting sentiment that would occur if you allowed in hunters with guns.  

Ask yourself why it doesn't.

Isn't it obvious the anti's and the media really have no problem with killing deer?  

They have a problem with hunters.  That's what sets me off.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Lawdwaz said:

When you were 3 years old and you got your first haircut, did you think it would last all these years?

How about your car, do you ever change your oil?

Mow your lawn?

I'm sure you get it........

Just proves it is a renewable resource that the town is paying to have privately managed.  I'm of the opinion doing it that way is not a better solution than allowing hunters to do it.  And if they were allowed to bait, hunt at night and take deer without limit or season, they would be able to do just as good a job as the police.

They did this at vassar college farms 7 years ago....  piles of apples and corn in February at night shooting them 300yds away with silencers.  They brought all the deer to butcher next to my house.  Biologists and dec were there also doing studys... You should have seen the size of some of the bucks.  shame......

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Rattler said:

Just proves it is a renewable resource that the town is paying to have privately managed.  I'm of the opinion doing it that way is not a better solution than allowing hunters to do it.  And if they were allowed to bait, hunt at night and take deer without limit or season, they would be able to do just as good a job as the police.

You obviously don't know the Town Of Amherst and the areas that they are shooting in.  I'm sure that the suppressed rifles are being used in some areas that are in very close proximity to occupied homes that there'd be no way civilian hunters could do that with long guns. 

This discussion could go on for quite awhile, have at it.

Happy Sunday, I'm outta here. :)

17 minutes ago, Rattler said:

Ask yourself why it doesn't.

Isn't it obvious the anti's and the media really have no problem with killing deer?  

They have a problem with hunters.  That's what sets me off.

Yeah the media hates hunters, but I surely don't want MORE negative publicity either just to try to prove a point.  The gooberment snipers can keep killing deer in these confined areas as long as we hunters are left to hunt in peace everywhere else.  That's a deal I'm willing to make.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, turkeyfeathers said:

They also shoot them in stiglemeir park.  Suppressed 308’s I heard.  43 was number I heard a few years ago. Just rolled past that section on Como Park blvd and didn’t see a deer and we were looking. 

My friend on old french in west seneca shoots about a dozen a year behind his nursery the deer there are from stiglemeyer. 

If you all want to hunt these great areas simple write a letter to the town officials and state they could charge a fee to applicants to hunt with bow in these areas , non refundable and then have a lottery  to see who hunts. Make lots of money.. politicians would love it.as $$$ is what they need and care about.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, G-Man said:

If you all want to hunt these great areas simple write a letter to the town officials and state they could charge a fee to applicants to hunt with bow in these areas , non refundable and then have a lottery  to see who hunts. Make lots of money.. politicians would love it.as $$$ is what they need and care about.

That was originally proposed and they rejected it outright as unsafe.