Binocular recommendations

Red

I'm looking to possibly purchase a new pair of binoculars for bow and gun hunting nothing to bulky.  I don't have a big budget looking to spend no more than $125.00. The reviews on these leupold look pretty good. Anyone have experience with these binos? 

My old nikon monarchs grew legs a couple years ago and walked out of the work truck.

Screenshot_2019-09-27-09-43-35.png

I have the Mohave pro guide BX3 HD - great binos and picked them up new for only $300 (normally around 600 I think).  I had zeiss conquest at the time and found the BX3 just as good.  I sold the zeiss and pocketed the difference.

Edited by moog5050
  • Like 1

I remember reading you divide the smaller number into the larger and that gives you the exit pupil of the binocular. The number 4  or greater gives you the most light you can see with the human eye . I have always stayed with 8 ×.40 and have been more than satisfied . I'm using a compact set of leupold.  I dont remember what model but they were on sale for 150.00. Little more than your budget but they are clear and I can focus on stuff in brush.  Separate target so to speak.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Nytracker said:

I remember reading you divide the smaller number into the larger and that gives you the exit pupil of the binocular. The number 4  or greater gives you the most light you can see with the human eye . I have always stayed with 8 ×.40 and have been more than satisfied . I'm using a compact set of leupold.  I dont remember what model but they were on sale for 150.00. Little more than your budget but they are clear and I can focus on stuff in brush.  Separate target so to speak.

Thought number was 5 for maximum that pupil can use but perhaps you are correct.

• Like 1

55 minutes ago, steve863 said:

I think anything from Leupold, Nikon, Vortex and a few others will do just fine.  Sure, the more expensive stuff will give you a clearer picture, etc., but the cheaper stuff will work too.  

^^^^ Exactly what I was going to say ^^^^

I have a pair of mid sized Nikon bino's that were around $150, but have seen them on sale at times for a bit less. Forgot what model? Perhaps Monarch? Get a nice clear view of anything within my hunting range. Good in low light too.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, moog5050 said:

Aren't all 8x42s at 5 plus?  Maybe I am confused.  Its a pretty standard size and not necessarily big or heavy.

Yes they are, but 42's are big for deer hunting IMHO.  I prefer 8x32 or 7x32. 

If you get 10x42 you only get about 4.2 in the eye.

Still using my 40$ Bushnell's they are ok but need to upgrade at one point just being cheap I guess.  Looked at a bunch this past year and see the difference in cheap and really good pair but most are too big for what I do. 

Leupold makes good glass, should be ok for you, similar to what I am looking for once I brake the old ones!  

Good thing about a cheap pair is I can abuse them, loose them, brake them and not care!  Eventually! 

• Like 1

Thank you all for all of the suggestions and tips.

I ended up picking up a pair of vortex  crossfire HD 10X42 binoculars from cabelas. Can't go wrong with the vortex life time warranty. The salesman also said I have 60 days to return them or trade them for another pair.

I went back and forth between the 8x42 and the 10x42.

I can't wait to test these out.

Screenshot_2019-10-01-23-00-17.png