Preparation . . .

Dstone001

I'm getting ready for my third season and, dang it, I really want to get something this time. But I realized I need to do some prep.

Let's see I get a deer and dress it in the field. When I get back to my house, I need to hang it, right? How high does it have to hang? I'm in Dutchess County, so there aren't a lot of coyotes or bear, but there are some.

Is there a maximum temperature for hanging? I.e., what do I do if it's 60* outside? Just go ahead an start butchering?

I'm in the same boat and even worst, I have no place to hang the deer so I plan to field dress and quarter on the spot. Another question: assuming I get a doe. I remove all the meat and dump into a meat bag and I leave the head behind. Where am I sticking the doe tag? Do I just fill it out and leave it in my pocket? I recall in hunter's ed that it needs to be attached to the deer immediately.

Unless you have a walk in cooler, the sooner its butchered the better. Aging meat will tenderize it but i doubt many of us can control the temp at 37 for any legnth of time.Dont hang if its warmer than 45 or so unless you can keep ice in the body cavity, it should only hang long enough so that you can butcher it or get it to a butcher!! Most gamey meat i have had comes from hanging it under less than optimum conditions. If you cant process it right away, hang out of the sun and fill the body cavity with ice! get to a processer as fast as you can or learn to do it yourself(there are good video's out there), Hanging it is the way to get blood out of it, i usually hang by the neck unless its a good buck and i intend to get it mounted(it will stretch the neck and damage the fur) hanging by the hind quarters inless the head /neck is removed tends to fill the body cavity with excess blood/fluid. not a big problem but i like to grind up the neck for burger. the hight will depend on dogs/yotes, bear ect. best place to hang is in an unheated shed/garage that can be closed to predators.

Edited by G-Man

A buddy of mine is obsessed with hanging deer. Don't get me wrong it's nice to have them at a good height for processing, but if you don't have a spot, tree or garage for that then get one of those colapsable plastic tables you can adjust height with. Bending while you process will kill your back after a while.

Durring bow season last year I took a buck and that day it got up to 60 at least. Now I have a pully system at camp but the point is I knew what had to be done and the rest of the day was processing. If you get into that situation it helps to have the table, a spare cooler, rinse water, ice etc.

• 1 month later...

I'm in the same boat and even worst, I have no place to hang the deer so I plan to field dress and quarter on the spot.

Reminds me of someone who lived in an apartment in Queens. He shot a deer and brought it up 3 flights to his small apartment and skinned and butchered it in his bathtub! LOL Where there's a will, there's a way.

Edited by steve863

Your in dutchess not far from my shop 70.00 for the

processing.I offer jerky,sausages,brats.I also make

corned venison.Anyway willing to help I have a cool

place to hang your game and be careful transporting

your game watch the laws on transporting especially

if your partically processing before leaving the field.

Hmm...I could hang it inside my dad's garage. Just have to figure how to transport it back to the city. Drive a Chevy Malibu and Toyota Camry. Not going to stuff a dead bleeding deer into the backseats. Maybe stuff it in a heavy duty garbage bag and throw it in the trunk?

I have a Suburban and a little car for all the miles I drive for work (500-600 a week atleast), with gas prices being high and having to drive to hunt sometimes a car is better. Not always though, like when there is more than just me and one other person going, then a bigger vehicle is better.

I'd love to see the pics of that!! My wife drives my Durango....the one i bought with the sole purpose of hunting,,haha and now i drive a honda accord (my commuter car). I've been itching to shoot a deer so i can figure out how to transport it in the honda. I leased it sight unseen.....all i asked the salesmen (who i know) was, can i fit a deer in the trunk? He didn't respond.......I said well i guess so, or i will make it fit!!