big 8 ... score????

cnybuck27

That is one of the best bucks i have ever seen on this sight, if you look at the total package. He has a nice set of antlers, but also a HUGE body, a very mature buck. Hope you can tag him. Yeah prob 140 maybe a touch higher, hard to beat that with only 8 pts.

• Like 1

forgive me for a newbie question here. but how in the world do you figure measurements from a picture. know a little about photography, with differ lens , distance, and resolution . the same picture would vary alot.

maybe i am trying to hard here, or overlooking something obvious. but please help educate a newbie.

The alert ears are a good way to get measurements.. an adult whitetails ears in the alert position are around 15" tip to tip... using that as a benchmark you can estimate the other measurements relatively close... but obviously it is just an estimate... the hardest thing to get a lock on would be the circumference... a buck like that I wouldn't give more than 13-14 inches of circumference on a side based on most the bucks that I've measured

Edited by nyantler

That is a really fine 8 pointer but the bottom line is that eight's dont push the tape up very far unless they have some world class features like 25" spreads or tines that go 9'' - 13'' - 10''. The way i see it he is 17wide , main beams maybe 20" , 4 1/2 brows , 10' g-2 , and maybe 7" g-3 , With 15" circum. on each beam ,that gives you 130". That being said he sure is a heathy looking beauty but he might be a 145'' 10 point if you let him walk this yr.

It's funny how some of you guys really like showing how much you don't like the whole idea of scoring a buck.. but this particlular thread is about someone asking what we think the score might be... he didn't ask if it was a trophy or not , just what it might score... and I think some of the guys are having fun coming up with guesses