Skull Caps, What do you guys do with them?

ApexerER

That's a good thing.  I would not ruin the old mount, but to each his own.

I wanted to keep rack But not Mount so I had to take it apart. I got a rid of doe mount too. Sent it to TreeGuy actually. She’s probaly loving all those WNY bucks

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I hadn't thought about that...I am sure the three I would like to mount are 2 1/2 year olds…..
Took some pictures just now. Sandable putty, screws, and white enamel paint. It wasnt that bad. Dried out and cracked a bit a decade later. Easy fix though if I was to display it. Wasnt big enough for a shoulder mount in my mind though.

5ae690aaa6cc1dc2892ff6b0f45fb947.jpg1aca3dc38b7c8b609bcd71fe613e0a8b.jpg00dd0e8c01515c41ec8aca30eb87f83c.jpgaccd9f23d428a81770be43300dcb3b26.jpg

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

• Like 3

18 hours ago, Daveboone said:

Fun easy winter project to mount them yourself. 

Find a nice piece of wood/ plaque. trim down the cap to a size to balance the plaque. epoxy/ construction glue a block of wood to the back of it, shaping the wood to roughly conform to the cap, at the angle you want to the antlers to come off the plaque at. For just a couple dollars buy some plaster at a hardware store. Wrap a cutting board/ plank, anything in saran wrap/foil, and position the antlers on the covered board at the angle you want it on the plaque, and form plaster roughly around and under the antlers. (wrap the antler bases first with saran wrap). The plaster sets up rather quickly, but you have about 5-10 minutes, and in this time you are very hands on building an "egg " around the cap. It will be hard enought to work in about 1/2 hr. 

Then you take a coarse file/rasp and sandpaper, shaping the plaster "egg" to the cap size and shape you want. 

For a few dollars you can buy some decent felt at any craft store. this is the trickies.t....roughly cut out the fabric with plenty of excess to wrap the cap, you cut out the antler holes, leaving them small...the fabric stretches. I use contact cement on the plast, pulling it snug around. The loose ends are held in place when you put screws through the plaque to the wood you glued in place.

With a little trial and error , you can easily do a better looking job than what alot of folks pay for. If you dont like it...good news. You take everything down and start again, nothing ruined. Certainly they get better the more you do, but your first job can look great. 

Plaque from Ebay: 5 bucks. Engraved plate for the plaque...about 4 bucks on Ebay....Plaster, 3 bucks for enough for about 8 mounts, felt, 3-4 dollars. I have done my moose and several deer. Total project time is about an hour.

This sounds like the way to go....Thank you! I am not understanding the need for the block of wood in your instructions. Also, when you cut out the antler holes there isn't any way to do it without seams correct? 

Do you have any pictures you can post? Maybe I will play with my smaller racks I just have mounted too a piece of barn board and see what I come up with first....

Dave gives good advice, but personally I don’t care for felt , buckskin for me . Have your hide tanned ,you’ll have enough for a few ,also ive seen on a taxidermist supply site a pre formed , artificial buckskin  “ cap “ that looked good . They also sell a braided rope to glue around the antler base to neaten it up .

I have most of two tanned hides in the basement , I’ve cut some off for projects ,but should be plenty to send you a square IF you can’t come up with something you want to use .

heres where to cut , and what the seem will look like . Getting it wrinkle free is key .

84DDCA9E-DFAA-463C-BF5C-8A43EF1DB2E0.png

D90B0A0A-0F2F-40A4-A1A8-2847F91BD129.jpeg

Edited by Nomad
  • Like 2

6 minutes ago, Nomad said:

Dave gives good advice, but personally I don’t care for felt , buckskin for me . Have your hide tanned ,you’ll have enough for a few ,also ive seen on a taxidermist supply site a pre formed , artificial buckskin  “ cap “ that looked good . They also sell a braided rope to glue around the antler base to neaten it up .

I have most of two tanned hides in the basement , I’ve cut some off for projects ,but should be plenty to send you a square IF you can’t come up with something you want to use .

heres where to cut , and what the seem will look like . Getting it wrinkle free is key .

Thanks Nomad! At this point, I am probably going to wait until after the holidays, look on some taxi sites as you suggested and give it a try. I appreciate it!

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Nomad said:

I no longer have the hides......

i've done the way Nomad suggested with wrap and rope. cut the angle right so the antlers tip forward off the plaque base. i just used bought pre-wrapped foam that goes over it like a cap. less time consuming then making a wood base to go under the skull cap. one was even a textured rubber. hide wrapped wood and skull cap is the way to go though. less delicate and easier to clean.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, ApexerER said:

This sounds like the way to go....Thank you! I am not understanding the need for the block of wood in your instructions. Also, when you cut out the antler holes there isn't any way to do it without seams correct? 

Do you have any pictures you can post? Maybe I will play with my smaller racks I just have mounted too a piece of barn board and see what I come up with first....

The block of wood is what the screws through the plaque tighten into to hold it in place. The horns I had professionally done were done like I did mine...needing a cut to the antler hole, but you can fold the edge over and glue it/ tack it so it is very minimal and doesn't look out of place. Honestly, my work is better looking than the 1/2 dozen I had done by 3 different taxidermists, and i like the felt cover look much better than the bald skull look.  If I have chance, I will take a couple pics of the ones I did, but of course, too late to show the construction steps. 

4 hours ago, Water Rat said:

A couple of these I wished that I had mounted. I was looking for the easiest way to mount them instead of having them lying around in the garage.                           

FA4499D3-88E1-48B2-A2EF-BE6F77F77096.jpeg

4426BCF0-B0EC-4106-9770-A51946E0AE36.jpeg

D5B8CB74-233A-4EDC-A782-7C44A16E53DC.jpeg

17BC3B7D-A23C-4FD5-9B4E-D976345F16B0.jpeg

E1196005-2C21-427A-A415-B7ED38451162.jpeg

3868D872-1C4C-42B1-834E-2A0750CEAC17.jpeg

that downward rack is freaky!

59 minutes ago, Swamp_bucks said:

Looks good.  How long did it take?

I didn't keep track of my time. If I had to guess I would say 3 hours taking out the time for the plaster to dry but it might be less. I am sure it will take less time now that I have some idea what I am doing.

• Like 1