Long shot's

erussell

Watched a hunting show last night and this guy on there shot a double, double drop tine buck at 68 yrds. When he drew back all I could say was, no he isn't about to take that shot. But he drilled that deer dead center of the lungs and it piled up right quick. Now this guy apparently was professional 3-d archer and there was even a disclamer at the beginning of the show that there were long shots performed by profesional archers and not to try at home. What are your thoughs, is this a good thing to be putting out there? and what is the longest shot you have ever taken on a deer?

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

if you can do it more power to you. Normal guys shooting out to 30 yards would have to be out of their bird to try and shoot that distance but guys shooting 60 yards prob practice around 80 yards.... there are guys that shoot those distances with their bows better then guys do with the gun. I dont think it sends a message to anyone saying well that guy on TV shot 60 i can do it also, BUT you never know. conditions would have to be right also to try a shot like that (wind and obstacles from the hunter to the deer).

A deer's walking speed is 3.5 MPH (The Deer of North America - Leonard Lee Rue).

Using a very fast bow of 300fps and a shot distance of 60 yards, the arrow is in flight for 0.6 seconds. In that time, a walking deer moves 36.96 inches.

That's enough to change a perfectly aimed hit from the kill zone to just behind the deer. If a calm feeding deer takes a step or two forward (as they often do when feeding), he most likely is not moving at the 3.5 MPH walking speed because of inertia. So maybe the average speed is only half of that. That would put the arrow squarely in the guts. I am not even talking about the string-jumping ability of deer, I am simply talking about a case where a grazing deer simply takes a couple of steps forward when the arrow is released.

So, it is my contention that even those who can hold perfect super-tight groups at 60 yards in archery range conditions may very well be taking a super low-percentage shot with perhaps a 50-50 chance of bad results.

That's why bowhunting is always described as a super-close range method of hunting. That's not to say that some bowhunters won't have success at ridiculously long distances. Anything is possible (including bad shots that wind up working ..... lol). It's just not something that I would care to take chances with.

If you have the right opportunity at a deer that is not on alert, and is standing still or feeding with its head down, you are confident in the shot and have alot of practice out at those distances, and longer, then by all means take it. People take long shots all the time, especially out west, and they do just fine. Its all about knowing your limits and having the right opportunity. Being in the woods doesnt make much of a difference as long as its a clear shot.

Shooting in the woods poses an even bigger challenge. I recall a shot that I took at a mere 25 yards where the arrow found a tiny twig that I failed to clear out of my shooting lane. It all worked out ok as the arrow deflected into the jugular (a long ways from where I was aiming .....lol), but the point is that even at close range, there was a tiny obstruction that I couldn't see. I can imagine what kinds of unseen obstacles that could be present in one of these long distance shots of say 50 or 60 yards. By the way, my shooting lanes are flawlessly groomed now .... lol.

As far as shooting expertise is concerned, I used to work with a guy who claimed and demonstrated his ability to hold coffee-cup sized groups at 50 yards. In fact I saw him do it - shot after shot with no misses. This guy was constantly taking long shots because he knew he could on the archery range, but he was constantly wounding and losing deer until one year when he set his all time personal best with a grand total of 5 shot and lost deer. That was when he gave up bowhunting. Yes, perhaps his tracking skills could have used a bit of sharpening ..... lol. However, the point is that marksmanship does not always convert to bowhunting success.

And then there is the point that I made in the reply above about the results not always being a case of how good the bowhunter is at shooting. Often the deer has it's own input into the results. The farther away you are the more input the deer gets to have.

It's really not a good idea, IMO. As stated by Doc, you just don't know WHEN that deer is going to make a move, do you?

Professional archers? Give me a break.............................

You think that deer they shot on the show is the only one they shot at?

Once in a while the programs on TV show a guy taking a shot and missing, funny they RARELY show a bad hit that results in a lost animal. USUALLY, they show a dead deer that they left over night to "stiffen" up and miraculously found at first light!

Fenced area, dogs, helicopter, PODS? (who remembers PODS? I'll bet the old codgers here do!)

Do what you want, ICGAF but don't show it on TV.

Shoot a straight >>>--------->

I think that he just got lucky and was fortunate enough to get it on film. I think to be successfull with a shot like that you have to be extremely lucky ( and steady) I mean just keeping it together with your pin on a 170 class buck would be hard enough. And then you have to make a perfect release, and like Doc said you have to miss everything between you and the buck and hope when your arrow arrives the deer hasn't moved. I think his stars just happend to align perfectly for a split second and his arrow reached the deer when it did. One step in either direction and you have a wounded deer. I myself keep to under 25 yrds thats what I am comfortable and confident with.

I'm guessing that some guys couldn't make a good shot at anything over 25 yards in their back yards at a foam target. There are also probaly plenty of guys that shoot thousands of arrows a year at long ranges cause its fun and would be fully capable of making this type of shot, now add in to that a guy that has lots of experience at shooting game like the one on the TV show and you get a higher percentage shot than you think. Would I try it on a deer, no, can I kill the hell out of a target and most deer I shoot at, yes. Its all about taking a good shot that you are comfortable with, weather its 10 yards or 70 it doesnt matter.

If you arent comfortable with taking the shot, than dont do it. If you are hunting in woods with undergrowth, where sticks and twigs down low are an issue, dont take a long shot. If you dont have a bow capable of shooting out to those distances with enough speed and energy, dont take the shot. If you dont regularly practice out to those ranges, dont take the shot. If the deer is moving, dont take the shot.

Before bagging on someone because they took a shot YOU might not be comfortable with, maybe you should consider the circumstances behind that shot, and the shooters capabilities.

Would I take that shot? Probably not, but then again, I dont know the situation or circumstances, as I have not seen it. Would I take a shot over 40 yards on a deer given the right circumstances? Yep.

If you arent comfortable with taking the shot, than dont do it. If you are hunting in woods with undergrowth, where sticks and twigs down low are an issue, dont take a long shot. If you dont have a bow capable of shooting out to those distances with enough speed and energy, dont take the shot. If you dont regularly practice out to those ranges, dont take the shot. If the deer is moving, dont take the shot.

Before bagging on someone because they took a shot YOU might not be comfortable with, maybe you should consider the circumstances behind that shot, and the shooters capabilities.

Would I take that shot? Probably not, but then again, I dont know the situation or circumstances, as I have not seen it. Would I take a shot over 40 yards on a deer given the right circumstances? Yep.

I hope the size of the rack on the deer your shooting at the extended ranges has nothing to do with the "right circumstances"

I hope the size of the rack on the deer your shooting at the extended ranges has nothing to do with the "right circumstances"

Not in the least. Id take a long shot on a doe given the right circumstances.

Dont get me wrong, I love big racks (steve863 can insert joke here), but Im in it for the experience and the venison above all else. B)

Well, I'm certainly not out to convince the world either pro or con when it comes to long shots. I am simply pointing out that there are more things to consider when taking long shots than just marksmanship. And I get the feeling that that thought seems to get lost in these discussions. I would guess that more than a few bowhunters think that whatever they can do with a stationery target on the controlled conditions of an archery range is exactly what they can do in a hunting situation with a target that is capable of moving at any second. I'm just suggesting that you might want to question that thought just a little bit.

there are more things to consider when taking long shots than just marksmanship. And I get the feeling that that thought seems to get lost in these discussions.

Actually, I made it pretty clear that in order for a long shot to be successful, there has to be more than just one or two pieces of the puzzle present.

Oh, and Im not trying to convince the world of anything, plenty of proof that bow hunting shots over 40 yards are possible and ethical given the proper conditions and circumstances is already out there.

Again its the archers confidence and ability that will or won't let him loose an arrow at range. there are archers out there who take close range running shots at deer,or shoot flying phesants. This is a fact if you base your hunting by what u see on tv your missing the point of learning to hunt yourself! because i am not confidant in doing something doesen't mean it cant or shouldn't be done. Hunting is a personal experiance or at least it should be ....

You can shoot 9 out of 10 from 30-40-50 yards... but the first arrow is the one that counts... if you're missing the first shot each time then you shouldn't be shooting from that distance.. anyone can throw out a few tracers then narrow the group.. in a hunting situation only the first shot counts

What are your thoughs, is this a good thing to be putting out there? and what is the longest shot you have ever taken on a deer?

If I had 10/10 vision and could see which part of the deer's torso my sight pin was covering - maybe I'd take a 68yd shot..?

Same situation - hunting for mountain goat or sheep, an amateur hunter took a 760yd rifle shot and got it. OMG.

Too many viewers get caught up in the hunt & think they are there with the hunter and camera man.

Yeah, I think most hunting programs have crossed the line and gone too far to be a sucessful enterprise.

Enormous, baited properties with only the best/highlighted hunts shown. Huge sponsor endorsements!

Not the real hunting experience protrayed.

Sure there are hunters that could make shots like these.

But what are the other 98% of the viewers thinking - They can do that too!!!!

You can shoot 9 out of 10 from 30-40-50 yards... but the first arrow is the one that counts... if you're missing the first shot each time then you shouldn't be shooting from that distance.. anyone can throw out a few tracers then narrow the group.. in a hunting situation only the first shot counts

Same goes for any yardage, even the close up chip shots, the first one is the only one that matters.

Isn't the distance a person takes a shot a personal matter..unless everyone has a guide looking over their shoulder telling them to shoot or not to shoot it to far not to far... and i don't think thats really hunting. An individual has to make the decision based on his/her experiance, abilities,equipment and conditions the only person who know this is the person loosing the arrow... and they must be able to live with and accept the choice they make. You've never made a long shot so what...some people have and practice to make them.