Texas Heart Shot

fasteddie

Who the hell is Billy?? Bow is only 9 days if you have a tag from last year and 13 if not. State land all over the northern tier. And yeah sorry but this is the dumbest thread ever. Spewing out all these post about shooting a deer up the ass and shooting deer in ateries that are smaller in diameter than a pencil. Keep feeding the anti's guys Im sure they are loving this thread. Not to metion the new young hunters who might not have a good mentor gets his first opportunity at harvesting a deer and he/she shoots it in the ass and does not recover it from reading this thread. I think I will go to my local sports store and try to find a 3d target with an X ring on its asshole or an artery with an ring around it. And hunters wonder why hunters get a bad rap.

Edited by wdswtr

opinions are like butt holes. everyone has one and they stink. Notice I got the butt hole thing in to make it thread worthy B) And if you remove all the replies that say why are people replying to such a reidculous thread it cuts down the replies considerably.

Edited by bubba

opinions are like butt holes. everyone has one and they stink.

Haha! If there was any thread that line was made for it'll be this one. :P

I know I'm a novice but I personally wouldn't take the shot. Even with a rifle. Never with a bow. I just don't have enough faith that I'll guarantee I'll hit something that would drop the deer for sure. Unless you have X-Ray vision, you can't really tell exactly where the heart is but you have a general idea and even if you miss, the heart is surrounded by lungs and for a deer, the lungs are a very large organ. The fermoral artery is relatively small target and if you miss, you may end up with a shot into the buttocks.

Good lord. Where exactly was it that ANYONE said the femoral artery should be an intended target. Again, with a "Texas heart shot", the intended target is the cluster of arteries (not a single artery) and veins that run down the length of the deer just below the spine. Right where your bullet or arrow would go with that shot.

There were three deer that I tool the Texas heart shot on. All three went into a heap. I was assisting friends in tacking a deer and that was the only shot presented. While tracking a wounded animal I will take any angle or part as on opportunity to finish the track. ethical or not I want the animal on the ground as soon as possible. That said. I woulnd't take that shot with a bow on an unwounded animal and I don't believe I would do it with a gun either. I have not had the opportunity to cast that one in stone though. I hae taken 2 does with head shots from a solid rest and inside 80 yards. head on and staring at me----.30-06. It wast the only shot on both. There wasn't even a twitch and not one ounce of meat spoiled.

I just hope there are no new, young hunters who are taking any of this rump-shot garbage seriously. I know it has been a long time, but I really don't recall anything in the hunter training courses that recommended a butt-shot as an ethical, high percentage shot.

A few years back I Let a 9 pionter go because all I had was a shot as he was trotting away not running,I put the cross hairs on the base of his spine at the top of his tail.I put my rifle down and let him go.A friend was able to take him with a clear shot at his chest about 10 minutes later.Again that shot is not for me.

No I caught it, and still say its a ridiculous comparison. I dont know about you, but i tend to try and keep my shots well within the size of a dinner plate. Actually I find that within the size of a tennis ball of the spot Im aiming at is acceptable to me. A Texas heart shot can be accomplished within that size of an area.

Yes, the dinner plate size accuracy is guaranteed to stick an arrow somewhere in the deer's rump. And I guess you didn't learn anything from the long distance thread regarding the foolishness of trying to relate archery range marksmanship to what can reliably be done afield while hunting. As noted in that thread, unpredictable things happen when in hunting situations and taking a shot that requires you to be exactly as good as you are on the range is simply not the best and most responsible shot selection. That's why your hunter training instructor stressed that your shot selection be limited to "high percentage shots" (remember that term?). That would mean not looking for the smallest kill zone you can find, but the biggest and accepting nothing less.

I certainly wouldn't take that shot with a bow. With a gun, if I felt inclined, I would...I just don't see that happening very often. I don't think we need to get into the differences between how each kills, etc.

Other do as they see fit...but I don't consider that a high percentage shot with the bow. The margin for error is too high based on my shooting abilities and the typical conditions of the animal and environment.

There were three deer that I tool the Texas heart shot on. All three went into a heap. I was assisting friends in tacking a deer and that was the only shot presented. While tracking a wounded animal I will take any angle or part as on opportunity to finish the track. ethical or not I want the animal on the ground as soon as possible. That said. I woulnd't take that shot with a bow on an unwounded animal and I don't believe I would do it with a gun either. I have not had the opportunity to cast that one in stone though. I hae taken 2 does with head shots from a solid rest and inside 80 yards. head on and staring at me----.30-06. It wast the only shot on both. There wasn't even a twitch and not one ounce of meat spoiled.

I suppose I should clarify my comment based on reading this. A hit deer needs to get down...and that means getting arrows or bullets in the animal. You're beyond the realm of judgement and into the "finishing of the action."

I think most people would agree in that situation.

Edited by phade

If a deer has their back towards me, I would sit and wait to see if they'll eventually present me with a broadside shot. Maybe give out a call or something to get it to turn. The moment I know that a broadside shot is never going to be presented is when the deer is about to move into cover or is running away. Either way it also means that I'll have to shoot at a moving target. I mean, if the deer is standing still with their backside towards you, why not wait it out and see if they'll turn?

No one here is bashing anyone who takes that shot. For sure if the any main artery is severed, the animal will bleed out very quickly. If you can make the shot, the more power to you. I still have a lot of practicing to do since I can't shoot the board side of a barn so I don't have the confidence that I, myself, can make that shot at a moving target.

Yes, the dinner plate size accuracy is guaranteed to stick an arrow somewhere in the deer's rump. And I guess you didn't learn anything from the long distance thread regarding the foolishness of trying to relate archery range marksmanship to what can reliably be done afield while hunting. As noted in that thread, unpredictable things happen when in hunting situations and taking a shot that requires you to be exactly as good as you are on the range is simply not the best and most responsible shot selection. That's why your hunter training instructor stressed that your shot selection be limited to "high percentage shots" (remember that term?). That would mean not looking for the smallest kill zone you can find, but the biggest and accepting nothing less.

Apparently you didnt read my whole comment and just cherry picked something to try and prove a point. Keep on spinning there Doc.

ok so what would bne the differenc ebetween taking a brisket shot or shooting from the other end. With todays modern firearms, the bullet will travel pretty much the length of the deer anyway

For rifle I take either one (and have done several of both) happen to like that frontal especially with some quartering stance.

Wouldn't take an intial shot with a bow myself; but as a follow up second, if presented I would.

Trophy hunter and proud ass shooter.