Well I could have put this under the ...

growalot

16 days post but much of the point there flew over more than a few heads...this is squarely looking at the DEC

So not only does the ridiculous ppl stuff start but the dogs they own bologna hits full fever...last week our dog was attacked on the porch when I let her out...Thought it was a yote in the dark as it ran down the steps ...but nooo It came back a few days later to attacked her again !! and clearly a golden retriever with a red collar...and it would have been a dead dog had I gotten to the shot gun quicker....I've been trapped in my stand 2x's by dogs and lit into the owners instead of shooting ...called the DEC more than once ...been sent to the hospital gone to court ...had the dog warden tell me just shoot them...and last year as I draw on a beautiful 8pt the woods erupted and this guy came chasing a herd of doe and fawn.... tongues hanging out past my stand ..taking the buck with them...I yelled and he eventually he circled around to coming under my stand...

Wanting the owner whom I've personally warned several times.... to get a hefty fine.... I shot it with the cell phone.... then very agitated called DEC...2 officers arrived and said cell pic wasn't good enough I needed better proof...but they would talk to the guy....Well I've gotten personal sightings...and tails on cam ...but pulled card today...ARE YOU WATCHING DEC for your officers saw this dog when they came up....This was not far from our goats ...near a stand and in one of my bow plots....So much for your warnings...so I'm telling you...notice the date...the pointed ears and big tail....with a red lens this certainly will look like a yote to me...if at this time.... I will defend my self and live stock...thanks for the help

Edited by growalot

It is not legal to shoot a dog for running deer. Law officers can do that legally, but you cannot. You would be subject to legal and civil charges.

However, it is legal to protect yourself and your property (aka livestock) from depredation from dogs, coyotes or whatever.

If dogs or wildlife are threatening you or your livestock, you are within your rights to shoot them.

# 4 buck works well...

Edited by Pygmy

It is not legal to shoot a dog for running deer. Law officers can do that legally, but you cannot. You would be subject to legal and civil charges.

However, it is legal to protect yourself and your property (aka livestock) from depredation from dogs, coyotes or whatever.

If dogs or wildlife are threatening you or your livestock, you are within your rights to shoot them.

# 4 buck works well...

P. S...Just being NEAR your goats does not necessarily mean the dog is THREATENING them.

Kinda like those guys sending those evil light beams across your fields...<<grin>>..

Folks that live in the country think it's okay to let the dogs run loose . There are leash laws . I had a dog that screwed up my bow hunt at my SILs in Geneseo . Took pics and e-mailed them to my SIL . It belonged th the neighbor across the road . The neighbor said she couldn't control where her dog goes . My SIL told her "my brother in law can't always control what he shoots" . I didn't see the dog the rest of the season .

yes, illegal... but so is letting your dog just run.... maybe it would just dissapear if it was around me...... Caught a neighbors dog in a trap once when i was 16. the guy called me and threated me with a lawsuit the dec showed up i was histerical.. 16 and going to get sued ...after the officer was shown the offending trap and location he proceded to write the neighbor a ticket for tresspassing and leash law,and tampering with a marked trap(pulled the trap out had my name and address on it as was required by law).. quite a turn about of events!! And the officer made him apoligise to me!!

Edited by G-Man

It is illegal for a citizen to shoot a dog running deer. Fish cops and police officers can do it, but you can NOT do it legally. If you do, you are taking the same chance as the poachers that you all deplore. You may be subject to legal and civil charges for doing so.

However, if a dog is damaging or threatening you or your property ( as in livestock) you are legally allowed to shoot it.

Just because a dog is close to your goats is not reason enough...If the critter is in the pasture chasing them, blaze away...

i'm not really sure what she is talking about?

Apparently the DEC / Police aren't doing anything to resolve the problem and letting the dog owner slide . I believe Grow is saying that her option is to take matters into her own hands and use a red lens spotlight and that the dog would look like a Yote at night . Al least that's how I understand it .

Had a similar problem with a neighbor dog where I couldn't go on my side yard without the damn thing coming on to MY property snarling and barking and acting very threating. Trooper told me I couldn't shoot the dog unless it actually bit me or my kids. So unless it was attached to me there was nothing I could do.