Yote Deer kill

Was shooting a bit today and took the ATV around the property.  Never hunt here for yotes as I rarely see them.  Lots of foxes, but this deer kill was not foxes or a single yote.  Bits of meat around and some bone pieces but I did not find the carcass.  Didn’t look very hard either.   Tons of tracks.  Since we had snow yesterday thinking this was last night.  I just may have to hunt there tonight!F4D91FB3-679F-4AC2-B5E9-1448C5F71AA3.thumb.jpeg.8a25b23b0a710e8495125a77ad06f436.jpeg

D90E785C-DFC5-4DD4-9DAA-D493B739F309.jpeg

19E2D7D3-48D4-4AB1-AE80-F3A8C91F01FB.jpeg

0B91A25E-7E97-4A4D-AD26-F6B249418B5D.jpeg

C485B656-A5ED-4263-900C-DB95B1622A05.jpeg

E3D4F2AA-44A3-4938-90CD-1C26D276938C.jpeg

• Like 4

Just now, grampy said:

Mendon? I'd say it's worth a try to do a set there. Try a fawn distress call!

Yep.   Right in the bowl that you almost killed the buck 2 years ago.   Not sure how well the thermal will work in the woods but probably worth giving it a go. 

• Like 1

Absolutely!!  That looks like more than one or two yotes. Could you set up on the side hill looking down, from where I was this past season? The NW wind would be in your favor, if they come down from the park? Or they may follow the bottom from the bowl over to there?

Anyways, good luck buddy! Get some!!!

2 minutes ago, grampy said:

Absolutely!!  That looks like more than one or two yotes. Could you set up on the side hill looking down, from where I was this past season? The NW wind would be in your favor, if they come down from the park? Or they may follow the bottom from the bowl over to there?

Anyways, good luck buddy! Get some!!!

Yep.  I will set up close to where you sat the ground last year.   SW wind but if I stay on the east edge I may be OK. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, chrisw said:

My guess would be that it's probably a couple of days old but every predator in the area is now hitting it. A few critters can leave a ton of tracks when they hang around a carcass for hours.

Sent from my moto g(6) using Tapatalk

Could be but we had snow yesterday morning.   None of it is covered in snow, including the mounds of hair.  Plus tracks show no snow coverage.  But it was when it was.  

Could be but we had snow yesterday morning.   None of it is covered in snow, including the mounds of hair.  Plus tracks show no snow coverage.  But it was when it was.  
Yea I know, but they uncover it pretty good when they're on it. Im only saying it because I've put out quite a few carcasses for yotes and they can look like that for days on end. But it could very well have been yesterday too. I would've expected a few bones still around if it were real fresh. Either way, I'd be shocked if you didn't shoot something off of it tonight. Too bad Fox is closed now.

Sent from my moto g(6) using Tapatalk

• Like 1

1 hour ago, moog5050 said:

but I did not find the carcass.

Coyotes have a tendency to drag a carcass off where they feel more comfortable to munch without interference from others. I had six in my back yard sometime last night after a fresh coating of snow yesterday and some of the tracks were almost twice the size of the ones you have posted.

Watch for a double because they more than likely breeding now and tend to run in pairs.

13 minutes ago, Steve D said:

Coyotes have a tendency to drag a carcass off where they feel more comfortable to munch without interference from others. I had six in my back yard sometime last night after a fresh coating of snow yesterday and some of the tracks were almost twice the size of the ones you have posted.

Watch for a double because they more than likely breeding now and tend to run in pairs.

Be happy to see one but a double would be nice!

I've gotten pics of this one the last three mornings. Also last night it was howling and barking pretty close to the house about 10. I keep thinking I'll get the motivation to take my gun and caller out one of these nights.

Screenshot_20200221-164646_CovertWireless.jpg

Screenshot_20200221-164702_CovertWireless.jpg

Screenshot_20200221-164731_CovertWireless.jpg

• Like 2

Go behind the Webster  highway dept town barn , they dump the road kills at the back of the property, near the bus barn .
its a yote feeding frenzy. The biggest coyotes I’ve ever seen are over there .

Any over 70pounds?!? I had to ask!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  • Like 2

48 minutes ago, crappyice said:

Any over 70pounds?!? I had to ask!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Not good at judging , but while deer hunting a few years back two came through the size of German shepherds. Unlimited food and most hunters wont hunt there anymore due to all the recent building  , I guess they can’t outrun the cops ......

2 hours ago, Nomad said:

Go behind the Webster  highway dept town barn , they dump the road kills at the back of the property, near the bus barn .

its a yote feeding frenzy. The biggest coyotes I’ve ever seen are over there .

That doesn’t quite sound legal.   Lol

When I hunt in the woods with a thermal, I spot with white hot and have the rifle scope set on black hot.

You can focus a lot better using black hot in the woods after you've spotted the target, especially with snow on the ground and the clarity of the thermal scope you have.

SJC

• Like 1