Southern Zone bow season starts Oct 1ST for 2012 and 7 more WMU's get antler restrictions

burmjohn

I wish 6p was added.. but that's wishful thinking. Maybe someday, then I won't have to worry so much about every scrub I let walk getting blasted by the next guy.

That's what AR's are all about to some of you, aren't they? To stop the other guys on the next property from killing the bucks that you think belong to you? Guess what? It ain't all about antlers to many hunters out there.

That's what AR's are all about to some of you, aren't they? To stop the other guys on the next property from killing the bucks that you think belong to you? Guess what? It ain't all about antlers to many hunters out there.

no not at all. I just know that its fact around where i hunt after my neighbor who walked under my treestand one afternoon flat out said to me that if its brown its down. And his good buddies are some of my neighbors and with past experiences with some of these people outside of hunting its safe to say they follow the same rule.

I don't understand why we are all after a huge antlered deer. They way you guys talk you must just cut the rack off and leave the meat. That is all you are after right? AR's should be someones own choice.

These deer that run around in the woods are not mine our yours. No one should be able to say what we shoot and don't. We don't live on TV.

believe me i hunt for meat, but its also nice to see nice looking deer roaming the woods and to have opportunities to harvest one. thats hardly possible like in my situation where i was told face to face by another hunter in the woods that, "...bow season I usually hunt for antlers but come gun season if it walks within range and its brown, its down..". That type of hunting mentality is why the state has to get involved, not specifically for ARs but in general because most people just dont think and have that me me me greedy attitude and ruin things for the rest of us.

Now Im certainly not saying that anyone on this forum is like that, I actually think giving the benefit of the doubt that the majority of people who spend the time on these forums discussing hunting, tactics, deer management etc. are a small percentage of the people that actually follow the rules and respect the deer and fellow hunters. Im also certainly not saying people for or against ARs have that me me me greedy attitude either, in a perfect world we wouldnt need intervention from the state through the DEC and all these rules and regulations and we could harvest what ever the heck we want.

Wouldn't you just be better off making a nice thick area on your land , and then stay out of it..bucks will go in and make it to the next year without ar's or worring about the neighbor shooting it down the road.. There are too many hunters in certain areas an ar's will only lead to highgrading the herd... you'd be left with giant 4's in a short time. How come it seems like there is a big one taken in everyone's hunting area every year with out ar's? You can't stockpile big bucks and most of us do not have the time or skill to consistantly take one every year. when they get old they get smart!! it won't be a bunch of big bucks walking around like dumb yearlings......

If a wmu gets antler restrictions does it make it easyer to draw a doe tag?

Absolutely NOT. In a couple of units that already have AR's in effect, you need preference points for a doe tag as is the case in a number of the new units that will have AR's. I think this is something that some supporters of AR's aren't grasping here. It won't make it easier at all to get a doe tag. In fact when people see that they aren't getting doe tags and aren't allowed to shoot a smaller buck, maybe then they will figure out that there really isn't much left that will be legal to shoot. All the AR/QDM mumbo jumbo about letting the little ones walk and shoot a doe instead don't hold water in much of the Catskills when there are NO bloody doe tags given out to shoot that doe instead of the young buck! That is what boggles my mind on exactly why anyone would support AR's in an area where doe permits are difficult to get.

Absolutely NOT. In a couple of units that already have AR's in effect, you need preference points for a doe tag as is the case in a number of the new units that will have AR's. I think this is something that some supporters of AR's aren't grasping here. It won't make it easier at all to get a doe tag. In fact when people see that they aren't getting doe tags and aren't allowed to shoot a smaller buck, maybe then they will figure out that there really isn't much left that will be legal to shoot. All the AR/QDM mumbo jumbo about letting the little ones walk and shoot a doe instead don't hold water in much of the Catskills when there are NO bloody doe tags given out to shoot that doe instead of the young buck! That is what boggles my mind on exactly why anyone would support AR's in an area where doe permits are difficult to get.

Steve I agree and next there will be a size limit on that size squirrel, rabbit, phesant,we can shoot in small game season.

Steve I agree and next there will be a size limit on that size squirrel, rabbit, phesant,we can shoot in small game season.

Like I said it just boggles my mind how anyone can be supporting something that pretty much won't allow them to hunt much of anything anymore. When I hear an AR supporter asking the question "will AR's make it easier for them to get a doe tag?" it tells me that some AR are not very well informed of what is really going on in the area, thus shouldn't be blindly supporting anything.

Here what happened 2 days ago..mind you first week of bow....neighbor had the out of state guys from the hunting lease that borders both of us...getting permission to tract and retrieve a 4point buck....Thank you by the way...and owner says OK I have no problem with you 3 ..just your Cousin...I'm surprised you don't have a problem with him as well....Seeing he's telling everyone you wound more deer than he sees a year....lol...They reply..... well we aren't shooting EVERY thing like the guy behind you(leaving names out)...the owners reply's...why yes you do! aren't you going out to get a 4pt!!

OMG these things makes me laugh and sad at the same time.....

Like I said it just boggles my mind how anyone can be supporting something that pretty much won't allow them to hunt much of anything anymore. When I hear an AR supporter asking the question "will AR's make it easier for them to get a doe tag?" it tells me that some AR are not very well informed of what is really going on in the area, thus shouldn't be blindly supporting anything.

So not shooting a yearling buck means you can't hunt anything? If there are no Doe tags, there is a reason why there are no Doe tags, it has nothing to do with AR's.