Blew up the red dot - lol

moog5050

1 hour ago, moog5050 said:

Probably just a matter of shooting a bit more to find the sweet spot. That said 3.5” magnum heavy is not what I want to practice with.  Lol

Pro tip, practice with standard 2 3/4 loads then go big to confirm pattern. 

Come on out Doewhackers shot gun school and I’ll have you tuned up in no time. Word of caution, if you flinch or fail shoulder properly I beat you with a sock of 3 1/2 shells. 

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

4 minutes ago, Doewhacker said:

Pro tip, practice with standard 2 3/4 loads then go big to confirm pattern. 

Come on out Doewhackers shot gun school and I’ll have you tuned up in no time. Word of caution, if you flinch or fail shoulder properly I beat you with a sock of 3 1/2 shells. 

I agree, and I related to Moog that I use light loads to establish the point of aim, and then confirm at hunting ranges with a couple of the heavy ones...

However, as far as "beating" Moog with ANYTHING...I have stood beside him and I would not hit him with ANYTHING unless I had Peter Hathaway Capstick  standing right behind me, backing me up with his  .600 Nitro  elephant gun....

• Haha 1

15 minutes ago, Pygmy said:

I agree, and I related to Moog that I use light loads to establish the point of aim, and then confirm at hunting ranges with a couple of the heavy ones...

However, as far as "beating" Moog with ANYTHING...I have stood beside him and I would not hit him with ANYTHING unless I had Peter Hathaway Capstick  standing right behind me, backing me up with his  .600 Nitro  elephant gun....

I literally had no ammo other than 3.5” mags.   It was not a choice of machismo.   Only necessity.  But it sure will cure a flinch quick on any other gun

• Haha 1

31 minutes ago, G-Man said:

Yes, especially I'd you dont bury your cheek on the stock.

Wrong in his case, raising his cheek will fix the issue. Your eye is the rear sight, move in the direction you want the pattern to move. Burying his cheek in the stock is what’s making him hit low.

Or just raise the comb with a shim. 

Edited by Doewhacker
  • Like 1

3 minutes ago, Doewhacker said:

Moog what brand gun is it?

Brownings and others come with a shim kit, I can tell you appreciate the finer things in life like Pygmy’s company so I recommend a pricey gas operated auto loader like a Maxus. 

It’s a Winchester sxp.   I turkey hunt about 1 morning every two seasons.  Hard to justify a nice auto loader but I suppose I should have one.  It’s not like I need all the rifles I own either.  Lol.   I read that raising the comb helps for wing shooting when poi is low but I really need to add a rear sight to aim or just learn how much rib I should see in sight picture.  Rear sight sounds easier and cheaper.   But I plan to try it again this weekend at Culvers camp. 

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, moog5050 said:

It’s a Winchester sxp.   I turkey hunt about 1 morning every two seasons.  Hard to justify a nice auto loader but I suppose I should have one.  It’s not like I need all the rifles I own either.  Lol.   I read that raising the comb helps for wing shooting when poi is low but I really need to add a rear sight to aim or just learn how much rib I should see in sight picture.  Rear sight sounds easier and cheaper.   But I plan to try it again this weekend at Culvers camp. 

That’s the spirit. My wife has hunted in the past so that’s how I justified a few shot guns. You know, in case she goes she needs the nice one. Lol 

How much rib ect is the giving the same effect of raising the comb. Practice mounting the gun then shoot it, I bet once you do you’ll find you don’t need to bury your head in it. That’s something you do from shooting rifles where a tight cheek weld is paramount. Think of shot guns as more like archery, anchor point, aim release. 

I bought a SXP from a buddy once for $300 and a twelve pack, it had a froze choke so I had a guy cut it down and rechoke then I sold it for $600 lol. 

I couldn’t hit a damn thing with that gun, it didn’t fit me well which is very important with shot guns. 

The way I sighted in my red dots was with bird shot.I set up a piece of cardboard 12 yards away took a shot and then moved the dot to the hole second shot was dead on.Maybe try that with your bead if it keeps hitting low get one of the sights Airedale or doewhacker mentioned I have both they work.

Brian, I  had the same problem with my Remington 870 when I  first sighted it in for turkey. It shot low and to the right at 20 yds! I put on a Hi-Viz adjustable site and that solved it. I've since gone to a Truglo red dot. Sighting in is a real pain in the shoulder! Especially with turkey loads, like others have said shoot bird shot in close until you get in sited in and then just try the heavy loads to verify their range and pattern.

• Like 1

Culver tried my shotgun and it shot low for him too.  Made me feel a bit better as I thought it was me.   So I Layered a few strips of adhesive Leather strike plate to the back of the rib.  Worked perfect..  She shot great yesterday out to 40.    A very simple fix that would make Stormy proud.   I will add an actual hiviz rear sight at some point but this worked surprisingly well.  

• Like 6

10 minutes ago, moog5050 said:

Culver tried my shotgun and it shot low for him too.  Made me feel a bit better as I thought it was me.   So I Layered a few strips of adhesive Leather strike plate to the back of the rib.  Worked perfect..  She shot great yesterday out to 40.    A very simple fix that would make Stormy proud.   I will add an actual hiviz rear sight at some point but this worked surprisingly well.  

Good  job, Moog and Culver... K.I.S.S.....

My 40 year old Rem 1100  has just the factory front bead plus a mid bead that I had installed...When cheeking the stock and lining up the beads, it shoots PERFECTLY to point of aim and has accounted for many turkeys...I still use it on occasion, but since my vision has declined  I prefer an optical sight, like the Leupy 1X4  on my 11-87...   One advantage of the plain barrel over the optical sights is that if you  choke ( which I have done many times)  on the standing shot and have to take a running or flying shot for the backup, the  plain barrel works much better, at least for me.

• Like 2

21 minutes ago, dbHunterNY said:

sounds like a good fix. i messed around with shims trying to drop the comb and lengthen pull on my benelli because it didn't fit well and i shot high. i tinkered a while and still don't think it's quite right.

I think you got a defective Benelli, db......Send it to me and I will dispose of it for you and save you the future embarrassment of possessing  a Bum Benelli....That is a curse that all shotgunners are loathe to suffer..   Just trying to help you out,  Good Buddy.....Anything for a pal....As Gunnery Sergeant Hartman would say...." I really LIKE you....You can come over to my house and **** my sister !! ".....

Edited by Pygmy
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, dbHunterNY said:

sounds like a good fix. i messed around with shims trying to drop the comb and lengthen pull on my benelli because it didn't fit well and i shot high. i tinkered a while and still don't think it's quite right.

https://www.fieldandstream.com/shotgun-review-benelli-super-black-eagle-3/

i've read more than once that Benelli's are made to shoot high.  They require a different point of aim to be dead on target.

I think you got a defective Benelli, db......Send it to me and I will dispose of it for you and save you the future embarrassment of possessing  a Bum Benelli....That is a curse that all shotgunners are loathe to suffer..   Just trying to help you out,  Good Buddy.....Anything for a pal....As Gunnery Sergeant Hartman would say...." I really LIKE you....You can come over to my house and **** my sister !! ".....
I'm a cheap SOB. I have a Supernova pump not a autoloader. lol still a great shotgun though. It's in advantage timber camo too no blued beauty.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

1 hour ago, dbHunterNY said:

I'm a cheap SOB. I have a Supernova pump not a autoloader. lol still a great shotgun though. It's in advantage timber camo too no blued beauty.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

That's Okay, Son....It could be worse....I've heard that there are some poor cheap pathetic bastards out there that actually hunt with < cringe> MOSSBERGS......

• Haha 1
  • Sad 1

13 hours ago, Pygmy said:

That's Okay, Son....It could be worse....I've heard that there are some poor cheap pathetic bastards out there that actually hunt with < cringe> MOSSBERGS......

i pull out the model 500 20ga only when i'm trying to be nostalgic. i was young, my standards were low, and she was cheap. My first was a Winchester 1897 but my first that i knew would never get passed around was the Mossberg! ahaha

Just kidding of course...Mossbergs   kill a hell of a lot of turkeys every season...Those 835s, especially, are very functional and popular, although the plain Jane 500s work just fine, too..

One of my hunting buddies used a Winchester 97 as his turkey gun years ago, but he lost it in a home burglary, along with 29 other guns...