2011 Leftover DMPs available Nov 1

WNYBuckHunter

8F has a fair amount of state land and I think 8G has some too.

There's actually a part of Montezuma that falls inside 8F - a separate track from the main park/refuge. It's on their map. Hunted it one day late last season and there was a bunch of sign (no sightings, but I would certainly hunt it again).

Never saw mention of the lead issue for slugs at Monetzuma. We had to sign in/out at the check station...nothing about it in the regs that I remember. The really crappy part about hunting that place is the no access except to hunt...scouting has to be done while hunting practically. We still hunted the evening to try to cover some ground for this coming season...probably will go back there one day during the last week of gun season.

Thanks for the info, glad I get an anterless for Bow.

I believe this list is only because they did not get enough applications in them area's. For exapmle, 7J, I was turned down but they may have had plenty of people that wanted them and only 90% of the tags were issued so there is a 10% chance I may still get one in the mail. These area's for example had 1,000 permits to give out but only 800 people applied. I hope this makes sense and if I am wrong please correct me.

Every time the wife and I drive out to her family's neck of the woods in Chataqua county (sinclairville) I gaze longingly at Montezuma out the window and say "I bet there are some big friggin' deer in there." Of course I do the same thing when I look at the alcove reservoir area 3 miles from my house........ and briefly entertain ideas of getting an inflatable raft, a buddy, and 2 climbers and rowing out to that peninsula in the middle of the reservoir around 3am.........

These area's for example had 1,000 permits to give out but only 800 people applied.

it was all random so they may have had 1,000....900 could have selected and 800 were given out. I believe last year anyone that had selected an area and were denied and the area had leftovers......they sent them int he mail to the ones denyed before they went on the street as an available area.

bet a call to DEC could clear it up for you. Would be a bummer to go to the store and get 2 more only to find out you had two coming in the mail....lol doubt that could happen

Edited by Culvercreek hunt club

I wish they said how many / what area's were mailed the extra DMP's for denied.

I agree because I do have access to land in the 7H area but if I know I have a chance of getting a 7J in the mail I would not even think about appling for the extra in 7H. I would rather go in the back yard then drive an Hour and a half to hunt. :fie:

If you had gotten denied on the &J previously that wouldn't hurt your chances of getting a 7H now. Better to hedge your bet. the one they would send you would have been considered a permit from your first draw.....the 7h would be for this supplemental. I say go for it ..can't hurt ...maybe you will have a banner year and get and fill both

No need to go at 2am! They sell any open units all day. At end of day if quota is hit it will not be available the next day. I forgot it was yesterday so I am hoping 8f and 8j are open I will go tonight and see. I started exploring Montezuma last year and I think it may take years to get a good lay of it without any opportunity to scout. Also have tried Howland Island a couple times.