Frustrated with bow hunters

308shooter

Would you eat that deer with an infected arrow sticking out of it's hide?

Yes you can I have taken deer with gun wounds and bow wounds that were not fatal. You have to cut that meat out but the rest of the deer is fine. It is just like when you cut yourself you might get an infection but it doesn't hurt the rest of the meat.

308 maybe your mother should have wore a condom when she had sex with your daddy

Nothing like having a good response to a debate... gotta say some of the responses are just as ridiculous as the original statement... It would be nice to think that those responses are from the immature kids here and not some of the adults.

• Like 1

A lost deer with a bow or gun for that matter is not a dead deer... unfortunatly with a gun pulling hair and shocking the tissue more deer will die from gun wounds from infection,than a cut from a broadhead.. if all these deer die from all these wounded deer via archery you would just be picking up dead deer in the woods all over during gun season or seeing skeletons all around whit lots of hair piles.... it doesn't happen.. so alot of bad shots apparently are superficial...at least with bow..

1. Me personally, I won't bow hunt, cause I know I suck at it. and I'm not tracking a wounded deer 4 miles.
  2. I will cross bow hunt when the time comes, but regular bow, I'm not qualified, and I know it.

See I hold you with alot of respect for saying that. Most people would have enough nuts to say that. You know your limitations and that my friend makes you a better hunter.

• Like 1

The fact is that this guy, 308shooter represents a growing number of gun hunters that simply are looking at bowhunters as being an enemy within the hunter ranks that are taking their deer. I don't think it really has anything to do with wounded this and wounded that. It has more to do with the fact that bowhunters get first crack at their deer each season. I think it is also a jealous reaction to the fact that bowhunter success is now becoming fairly high and a fairly high quantity of very impressive trophies are being taken by bowhunters. Imagine how it must have frosted this guy to read some of the threads that talked about how these bowhunter upstarts are now now getting "chosey" about hunting only for mature bucks. We are no longer content with taking bucks out of the possible harvest when gun season finally gets here, but we are now talking about taking only the very best. Every buck that a bowhunter takes represents a buck that they have been deprived of. I've heard that sentiment expressed over and over. And now we are getting so good at what we do that we can pick and chose.....lol.

I have heard these kinds of remarks being made by an ever growing number of gun hunters. If you need a few more samples just check out the letters in New York Outdoor News in just about any issue.

Back in the days of recurves, and longbows, bowhunters were few and viewed as a bit of an oddity. It was understood that bowhunters weren't much of an influence on deer populations and more specifically, bucks. So when we had our own little season, nobody worried about giving the bowhunters some extra time and some liberalized rules, and even allowing this rag-tag little bunch of bowhunters first crack at the deer herd. What harm could that be?

Fast forward a few decades with the introduction of compounds and other gadgets and go-fasters, and all of a sudden bowhunters are reaping even longer seasons, and larger bag limits, and actually are successfully harvesting some rather huge deer. That has gotten the attention, (and the jealousy) of more than a few gunners. Don't be too shocked by these negative comments directed toward bowhunters. It's getting to be a little louder under-current as these people realize that the only way to get a piece of this kind of action is through taking on additional challenges that they are not willing to do. So the only reaction left to them is to start up these kinds of whining arguments and simply declare war on bowhunters.

Also, the pressure to get bigger and bigger deer and the resulting measurement of success becoming inches of antler as driven by TV has only aggravated the situation as gun hunters begin to see bow-harvested trophies as being animals taken out of their pool of the necessary potential trophies. Anytime they want, they can turn on the TV and see whatever hunter-hero that is on at the moment, passing up some monsterous bucks and finally arrowing some gigantic monster. I have noticed that they don't even feature that many gun hunting programs anymore. In the minds of a lot of gunners, it all points toward opportunities being removed from gun season and being given to bowhunters.

I've watched this all coming, and I fully expect it to get much worse as our bowhunting equipment continues to improve and harvest success ratios continue to increase. And none of this nonsense really has anything to do with wounding losses. It's just plain ol' human nature at work.

Doc... I'm not so sure it is true in this case... I think 308 had something to say and wanted to see what kind of rise he could get from the forum.. knowing full well what kind of reaction he might get... I am sure to his delight the reaction was exactly as he expected.

i have lost deer bowhunting and gun hunting,and it sucks,but i have also taken my fair share of wounded deer over the years,it goes both ways for real hunters,unfortunatley it happens ,even with hours at the range its going to happen,maybe some poeple should rethink or reword thier posts,

Doc... I'm not so sure it is true in this case... I think 308 had something to say and wanted to see what kind of rise he could get from the forum.. knowing full well what kind of reaction he might get... I am sure to his delight the reaction was exactly as he expected.

Yes and I think I've pretty much got his number as to why he would desire to declare war on bowhunters. This isn't the first time I've heard this kind of thing, and always further discussion leads to the real motives behind the comments.

Doc I have a question, why do u have a 12 ga deer slayer? In your post you say "we" when referring to bow hunters and "them" when speaking of gun hunters. I thought as a moderator u represent all hunters. Do you have side job as a lobbyist because you sure are good at talking out of both sides of your mouth.

Doc,

If that's the case we will see a huge increase in bowhunters when they allow crossbows in bow season, not. This guy just wants a rise out of us. He is the minority here just stirring up the pot.

It remains to be seen if many gun hunters will even take on the added challenges of a crossbow just to get into the bowseason with all the benefits. There are a whole lot of people who don't want anything to do with anything but their favorite deer rifle/shotgun. I suspect they would simply like bowhunters to go away .....lol. I think it is probably a lot easier to just sit back and whine than to be forced into taking up a ne kind of weapon. I do expect that whining to get a whole lot louder. We'll see what happens.

Doc I have a question, why do u have a 12 ga deer slayer? In your post you say "we" when referring to bow hunters and "them" when speaking of gun hunters. I thought as a moderator u represent all hunters. Do you have side job as a lobbyist because you sure are good at talking out of both sides of your mouth.

I am a two-season deer hunter. The "them" that I refer to are those gun hunters who want to start some sort of devisive battle with another segment of fellow hunters. I think you qualify as one of "them".

Just as you get frustrated with bow hunters, I get frustrated with the gun hunters who "spray and pray", and hit everything except the deer that ran right in front of them. What sense does it make to fire 6 rounds in a attempt to put down a deer. I bow hut because it takes great skill and you have only one shot. I gun hunt with a ML because you only get one shot. That is how it is where I come from - One shot one kill. Trying to draw a line between bow hunters and gun hunters is absolutely retarded! If you are jealous of the nice bucks we get to shoot during bow season then get off your ass and put the time in the trees, or better yet do it on the ground and really hunt the deer! Until then you are no different from anyone else. 308 When you stalk and drop a buck like this on the ground (gun or bow) then give a call! Until then take your mamby pamby sensitive ass somewhere else. The best thing I like about bow season is that I have 3 deer already. How many do you have?

post-1623-0-22035100-1320800024_thumb.jp

• Like 2

308, just because some of us are moderators on the site, it doesnt mean we represent anything but ourselves. Doc represents Doc, I represent me, etc etc. We are just here to help people with the forum if they need it, and help the owner of the site to keep things organized.

I agree with this 100%, and I might also add that being a forum moderator does not mean that any of us forfeits their right to have and express opinions.