4 new plots

I had the good fortune recently of picking up 156 acres of swampy hunting property for an unbelievable price, so  I couldn’t pass it up. The deer bed in  the swamp and come to the nearby ag fields to eat.  I approached the farmer who owns these fields to see if he’d be interested in selling me 20 acres of woods between my swamp and his fields. We made a deal and I close in a week or so. He gave me permission to start work on my plots before closing, and I’ve finished two, and I’m making good progress on the other two.  All of them border the swamp. There are two heavily traveled ridges coming out of the swamp, they both were soiled tested and the soil amended. Winter rye and clover for these two. The third plot is 100 yards from a 2 acre island in the swamp, and has been the most labor intensive. It’s just under 1/2 an acre and required a lot of chainsaw use. I picked up a rental stump grinder this evening and will be at it in the morning. This plot will also have winter rye and clover, plus a trial area of brassicas. The fourth plot  is only 10 yards wide, but is 100 yards in length.  The only thing done here so far is hitting it with the weed eater. More soil building to be done here with the winter rye.  I’ll be spraying this plot and the island plot soon. 

86D40B72-2F20-4E5A-A80A-2B486F445E93.jpeg

1E6F34D8-B070-49CE-A2B6-5FD6C05696DD.jpeg

130BBA9F-DD56-4287-96D0-FBBEEC091E3B.jpeg

738003F7-11FE-419D-9A1A-20EBEDF4EFF6.jpeg

• Like 12

Sounds like you have a very good deer hunting parcel, that you have acquired!! We have a large swamp on the north part of our property. And have done what you are doing, with food plots put in near by. It is always one of our best mature buck areas.

Congratulations on your new land purchase! And best of luck with the plots, and hunting!

You got the pups out there sniffing around?

• Thanks 1

On 6/24/2020 at 8:45 AM, UpStateRedNeck said:

Wow, that sounds like a sweet setup.  Really sweet.  Got a topo you could share?

The only one I have is on OnX and I don’t want to publish neighbors names.  The “ridges” may be misnamed, they’re  only about 5’ higher than the swamp.  The deer definitely relate to both of them though.

On 6/24/2020 at 10:10 AM, grampy said:

Sounds like you have a very good deer hunting parcel, that you have acquired!! We have a large swamp on the north part of our property. And have done what you are doing, with food plots put in near by. It is always one of our best mature buck areas.

Congratulations on your new land purchase! And best of luck with the plots, and hunting!

thanks! Yep, pups have been running around out there. My property is part of a 500 acre swamp!

You got the pups out there sniffing around?

• Like 1

• 2 months later...