scope advice

tughillhunter

You surely won't go wrong with a Leupold. Nikon's are really good too, and I think these days you can get a nice one for less than a Leupold. I honestly don't think there are any BAD scopes out there. The more expensive ones have better glass, are more waterproof and maybe more rugged, but in general most any scope made will probably get the job done and last if you don't abuse it.

I think if someone wants to go up to the $400 plus range (as are some Leupolds these days) on a 3-9x or similar scope for a deer rifle then the Zeiss Conquest is in my opinion the absolute best. You can get it for $399 or less. I have never looked thru a clearer scope in my life. They are clearer than the Swarovski's which cost twice as much. I think it's quite a scope for that price range, definitely clearer and brighter than any Leupold or Nikon I have ever looked thru and I've looked thru quite a few.

As Steve 863 said, you can't go wrong with a Leupold. I have 4 and they have performed faultlessly, even under extreme conditons, as in Alaska when they were exposed to rough use and nasty weather every day for up to two weeks at a time. One advantage is that they are guaranteed for life. If something goes wrong with them the company will fix or replace them for nothing. The guarantee also follows the scope, no matter how many times it changes hands, so if you buy a used Leupie, it is still covered. All that aside, I have never had anything go wrong with one. I like the fixed power 4X for all around use or 6X for open country.

I have a Burris Fullfield on my favorite deer rifle, a 2x7 ( the only variable scope I use) and that has been a good scope..No problems so far, anyway.

I never owned a Nikon, but some of my hunting buddies use them and speak well of them.

I really like the old El Paso Weavers. I have a K2.5 on my slug gun, and have had a K1.5 and a K10 and they were excellent scopes. I have never used the new Weavers, but have heard good things about them.

Leupold's are made in the US if that helps the decision making process...

I read this imformation in an article by John Barnsness a few years ago, so it may no longer be true..

According to that article at the time it was written, Leupold was American made EXCEPT for the glass, which they bought from anyone who could meet thier specs.

Burris, on the other hand was entirely American made, including the glass... At that time Burris was the only scope that was 100% American made.

That's just for converstaion sake, and may no longer be the case.

Edited by Pygmy

I think if someone wants to go up to the $400 plus range (as are some Leupolds these days) on a 3-9x or similar scope for a deer rifle then the Zeiss Conquest is in my opinion the absolute best. You can get it for $399 or less. I have never looked thru a clearer scope in my life. They are clearer than the Swarovski's which cost twice as much. I think it's quite a scope for that price range, definitely clearer and brighter than any Leupold or Nikon I have ever looked thru and I've looked thru quite a few.

$50 rebate right now on the 3-9x40 Conquest.....

I have one and a 1.8-5.5x38......both very good buys for the money.

2.5x8x32 VXIII Leupold is also a good buy in the same price range($399).....one of these has been hunted hard and has held up well. Mounts low as well depending on your preference and rifle fit.

I have a wide range of scopes and those 3 stand out for the price. Good glass, decent field of view, turrets track good......For long range and darker conditions I have others.......but these three are very good for deer and most shooting.

i use a remington gamemaster 30.06, pump action. i love the gun, it was bought new in 1974. have a redfield scope on it, same year. i want to upgrade, and been leaning towards leupold..... i want s good rugged scope, but to be honest, i dont know much about them. never had to buy one.

I have a 30-06 and a buckmater scope and i lOVE the setup.When i first bought the gun it had a simmons scope on it witch i didn't really like frm the get go.So i went and bought a bushnell thinking i made a upgrade and the reticle broke couldn't belive it.So i ened up looking hard it to a good tough scope waterproof the hole 9,I ended up with a nikon buckmaster 3-9-40 with the upgraded retcile and its great.I have had it threw rain sleet hail snow and it has never failed me..Good luck and let us know what you get!

for what it is worth, I've had Varix II and III and never found them to be any better or worse than Nikon Prostaff's or Monarchs. In the woods we hunt in the Northeast we just aren't going to be as demanding of clarity and focus at higher powers. I can count on one hand how many times I have ever cranked a scope past 7x. My 3-9's sit somewhere between 4-6 on the high side.

You have to decide what you want to spend,The Nikon Prostaff well be fine on your rifle,I just bought one for my 06.I own 3 Prostaff.I also own 4 Leupold.So whats in your budget.As far as having someone at Dicks mount it,I would go somewhere else,The Dicks by me the guys don't seem to know much.

i use a remington gamemaster 30.06, pump action. i love the gun, it was bought new in 1974. have a redfield scope on it, same year. i want to upgrade, and been leaning towards leupold..... i want s good rugged scope, but to be honest, i dont know much about them. never had to buy one.

If you got that Redfield at the same time you you got your gun, then you want to keep it. Back in 74 redfield was still a top of the line scope. I have for (4) Redfield scopes and are as clear as the day I got them.. I don't know which scope you have, but I know you will not be happy with any of the new ones when you compare them to an older Redfield. I have a Leupold at is one of there top of the line scopes and paid some good bucks for it and don't like it when comparing it my Redfields.All of my Redfield were gotten in the late 60 s and earty 70 s.

I have a Nikon Prostaff BDC on my ML and it has been fantastic. I was looking at Leopold Ultimate Slam. Both were very comparable, but prostaff was almost $100 cheaper. Nikon also has the Spot-On site that will match your round to the drop for you and it is very accurate. Dropped a doe last year at 173 yds. The scope is great!

I would be careful about having Dicks bore sight it for you. When I bought my Vortek Ultralight this year I had them mount my Prostaff and they had it all screwed up. It took me 8 shots just to get on paper, then 3 more to be dead on at 110. I have always done it my self and will continue to do so for now on.