Licenses

Hock3y24

I also have never had any venison that is better than fat caribou taken in August or early September...I have heard that Sitka Blacktail is the best, but never had the privelege to sample it....

IMHO, , caribou beats elk, moose, mule deer or whitetail, as long as it is taken pre-rut... I have never tried rutting caribou. but I have heard that dogs won't even eat it...

42 minutes ago, Trial153 said:

Summer caribou is top shelf, Sitka black tail is right up there as well. I killed a Caribou bull on oct 1 and it was as good as any of the others I killed. Cant get much better.
Moose then elk for me, everything comes behind those ....

Everyone's taste differs....To me, moose is good but boring...I always suspected that the reason  many people prefer moose is because it is the closest venison in flavor and texture to beef.. Elk has it's own flavor..I like it very much, but it it is not my favorite...

Mule deer is not rated as one of the better venisons, but some of the best meat I ever had was from a mature mule deer buck  that I shot in an early high country hunt above treeline in Colorado....He was grass fed, since there was no sage that high...

• Like 1

I have not had much caribou, but moose is my favorite wild game.  The best I had was from an old Newfoundland one, out of a jar.  The taxidermist aged that one at 8.5 years.   The roasts from the freezer were almost too tough to chew.  My buddy thawed them all out, then canned them with a pressure-cooker.  That made it to die for.

The worst wild game I had was a Colorado, sage-eating, high-desert mule deer.  You could taste the sage brush in that meat.  That was also the most punishing drag I have done.  5 miles thru the Rockies was no cakewalk.  I have no desire to kill another one of them.

I would rate 6 month old whitetail as a close second to moose, and a tie with elk.  I.5 - 3.5 whitetail makes up the bulk of our families protein and is very good so long as the carcasses are properly aged before processing.  You can skip that step with the buttons.