Matching set 12-18-11

bowhuntr1967

Man, that gets me fired up...it's like opening day all over again!!! I'm planning on waiting it out until mid-January to start any serious shedding.

When is the earliest that you usually find them? No wonder I havent seen any bucks the last few days theve been sneaken past me as doe. Wiley suckers they are. :lol:

Edited by erussell

I actualy saw a show on the outdoor channel this weekend. I have no idea if this is true or what the guys backs his claims up with but here goes..... He said in an area with a very high doe population the testosterone level will stay up and the bucks will keep their antlers longer. when the does are breed the level falls ans the antlers come off. This made sense and I have heard this before. what I had never heard before is this. He said in areas with high doe population and the antlers staying on longer there is some type of calcification of the peticles and it could actually effect thte horn development the following year. The bucks in a situation like this could have a rack that is inferior to his previous years rack. Anyone ever hear this theory before?

Was probably injured to lose them this early... every time i find them early i seem to find a dead buck without horns in the spring. Usually dont find early true sheds unless there is heavy snow early and it sticks and a lack of food availiable. Lots of apples around this year still on ground and trees and corn and nuts no real snow cover as of yet either...

Culver... if a deer is stress from over population yes it horns will be smaller than last year. weather it is from chasing doe that keep coming into heat dec, jan, even feb or lack of food from to many mouths to feed . a buck needs to replentish its body from what its lost not only to make it thru the winter but to create horns the following year. of course the body hold preference over the horns so horn size will decrease. This is the whole reason to take doe, it actually helps the buck by shortining the rut thus allowing him to put energy into rebuilding his body and horns for next year. If you only have to run for a week you use up a lot less reserves than if you run for 2 months..

When is the earliest that you usually find them? No wonder I havent seen any bucks the last few days theve been sneaken past me as doe. Wiley suckers they are. :lol:

I found the first "freshie" of the season last year on January 2, but I saw a buck that had lost one side a few days before x-mas. I'm sure that there are a few bucks around that have dropped already.

I want the bucks to get back on the property and comfortable, so I wont start shed hunting till February. If I find some while coyote hunting, great, but Ill wait to go tromping through any bedding areas just yet.

Good point. I usually will hit up the fields where the deer have been feeding through out Jan./ Feb. (during the antler casting period) several times during the winter before entering the bedding areas to search when the snow melts off enough, usually in mid-late march. I saw over 50 deer the other night out in a couple of clover/alfalfa fields that I shed hunt. Mostly does but I did see a bachelor group of several nice bucks. I can't wait to check this spot out in a few weeks and see what might me laying out there...

I actualy saw a show on the outdoor channel this weekend. I have no idea if this is true or what the guys backs his claims up with but here goes..... He said in an area with a very high doe population the testosterone level will stay up and the bucks will keep their antlers longer. when the does are breed the level falls ans the antlers come off. This made sense and I have heard this before. what I had never heard before is this. He said in areas with high doe population and the antlers staying on longer there is some type of calcification of the peticles and it could actually effect thte horn development the following year. The bucks in a situation like this could have a rack that is inferior to his previous years rack. Anyone ever hear this theory before?

Saw the same show. As long as the bucks have the sent of a doe in heat they keep their antlers, well into the second rut.

I found a 4 pt shed last hunting season on the final Sunday of the regular season. Found another 4 pt later in winter on the same ground...both left sides and both were bucks that I saw and passed from the stand last season.

Fast forward to this November 5....both darn bucks stroll past my cam and visit a scrape at 8:06 and 8:56 a.m. when I'm on my way to Ohio. Only sign of them all season...go figure. No idea if they made it through as hunting pressure picked up on an adjoining parcel this season.

That was the earliest I've ever found a shed. It was about 20 feet from my stand right on the trail and with no snow on it. We got snow that night, so he had to had dropped it there within a very short time (hours) of me walking in that morning.

Edited by phade