Heartless Poachers

Elmo

Theres been alot of bad issues at stewert since the D.E.C. doesn't

patrol it anymore.I have heard alot of bad things from there.Guys

just cutting backstraps and hinds off deer.People being threatened.

People coming in in truck loads driving deer,Shooting from the roads,

parking in and hunting in areas where someones already parked.sneaking

shotguns over on the stewart side.That place is a lawsuit waiting to happen.

Somebodys gonna get shot over there soon.

• Like 1

Dont know if it was a lost deer or not but theres alot of bad crap

happening over there.I know of a guy that shot 2 deer didnt tag either

and he got out before the state police showed up.Theres to much bickering

by law inforcement about whos territory it is.I also had a friend get threatened

because he approached someone parking and hunting in the same spot that

he was already in.I ts just to sad it used to be a great place to hunt.

I dunno....I think too many guys are too quick to assume poaching at the first sign of a dead deer in the woods. Easy to speculate but that deer could have been killed by anything.

absolutely correct, i say the same thing...

You can rule out car accident. This thing was 300 yards from the nearest road. The hole in her ribs looks like a slug round went through it.

Doesnt look like a slug hole to me. Something ripped the front shoulder off, and that hole could have happened then, or something could have eaten the hole there.

Deer die of natural causes and predation all the time, its not always people that kill them or cars that hit them. Also, I have seen deer go a long ways after being hit by a car, and drop. Think about it, they can go for a mile or more on a gun shot wound that takes out a lung, liver or through their guts, you dont think they can go a long way after being clipped by a car?

Even if it was a good shot, I've almost lost well hit deer. Especially when I was inexperienced.

And couple it with a season with practially no snow. I really think deer losses go up in years with little or no snow. Evidence of a hit is much easier to see and then follow up on with a couple inches of the white stuff.

Pretty obvious that a high impact object hit this deer the size of a quarter. No car would do that, and no predator would naw a hole that size. This deer was shot.

Could be a lost deer, could be some foul play going on. Either way, sad sight to see.

Elmo, ever thought of camping that area and using some calls for Yotes or Fox?

Pretty obvious that a high impact object hit this deer the size of a quarter. No car would do that, and no predator would naw a hole that size. This deer was shot.

Could be a lost deer, could be some foul play going on. Either way, sad sight to see.

Elmo, ever thought of camping that area and using some calls for Yotes or Fox?

Sorry, but that hole is right at the top of the shoulder where the connective tissue is, and the whole ribcage has been gnawed on. Not a bullet wound. Crows and hawks feed on dead deer and a lot of the time they pick holes in the meat. I see it on carcasses I use for coyote bait, etc.

No way to say for certain what happened but that rib looks broken inside the hole.That looks alot like what I see at the wound site when I skin and butcher my deer.Again I'm not an expert but I could see where it does look like a slug or bullet could have broken the rib and left a hole which was then gnawed on and made bigger.Hard to tell.

132 is correct. The picture didn't do it justice but there is a clear hole in one of the ribs. Something punctured the ribs. That section of that one rib bone is entirely missing. The rib comes down from the spine, section of rib missing (where the hole is) then rest of rib continues again after the whole.

• Like 1

Elmo, now now, we know that deer can run thousands of yards before dying after getting clipped by a hot wheels. And don't forget that crows specialize in breaking right through rib cages of adult deer. I retract my statement about the slug, must be termites.

seeing this makes me angry and gives an even worse image to hunting. I wish I would of been able to get the meat for my freezer this year!

sorry about that. Guess I should have thought about it a little more before jumping to conclusions. I thought there was a definate sign of a poacher. There could be numerous reasons why the deer is there. Just hope it wasn't a poacher or someone not persistent enough to find their wounded animal.

There pretty clearly is a hole and a complete break in the rib. I think I would have to work pretty hard to imagine that as anything other than a slug hole. Cars will break ribs but not leave a nice round hole behind. Crows, buzzards, coyotes and foxes do not eat holes through ribs. In fact when carrion eaters are finished with a carcass, the ribcage is usually intact. Certainly they do not start out that early in the process by burrowing a small hole through a rib. No, if you are going to make any assumptions about how this critter met its end, a bullet/slug wound is probably a pretty safe bet. What the circumstances around that are, is anybody's guess.