Getting in shape, whos doing it?

Geno C

I've enjoyed my life too and agree that genes matter. I do believe that although your genes are important, you can improve your quality of life by improving your lifestyle.

I'm not trying to live forever and I may not add more time to my life, but while I'm here I want to be able to do the activities that I love for as long as I can.

As I've gotten older more and more people my age that I know are getting diabetes and high blood pressure. I "BELIEVE" that diet and exercise can control both. Maybe high blood pressure and diabetes may come, but I'm hoping not now for me.

I am certainly not a health fantic, this is just the lifestyle I have chosen and enjoy.,It works for me and I am not critical of those that chose a different path, or believe differently then me.

Just popped on gotta catchup on some comments tomorrow, im sick as a dog lol. Been sick for 2 days and today was miserable. Hey elmer just an update, i finally went in to ketosis last night around 11 and today i went another notch in according to the keto stix. First time im doing this diet, i like it so far. Looking forward to my loadup day

You actually do need protein to build muscle... Muscles are made primarily from protein building blocks (amino acids)... when working out, muscles break down and are rebuilt using these proteins which aid in the rejuvination process.. that is how muscles grow. It is true that OVER consumption of protein can be very dangerous.. but protein is absolutely necessary to build muscle. You cannot build muscle without it.

ATTENTION EARLY. HOW DO YOU KNOW ALL THIS?

ITS CALLED RESULTS...TRY IT SEE IF IT WORKS IF SO THEN YOU KNOW..VERY SIMPLE

Been going to gyms since late '70's. Best move i made was giving up "bodybuilding" type work outs for more functional training. I do www.crossfit.com lots of oly lifting,powerlifting,sprints,jumps,chins,dips,kettlebells,non stop rounds of training on your feet just like in life.

Don't use machines become one !

Geno, yes its a workout thats for sure. If one looks at the sites main page thats what I follow,plus the crossfit warm up and a finisher I add. Its hard to get a feel for it by a few posted workouts,one needs amonth of them to get a true picture.

The classes that one sees are mostly the 20 or 30 minutes rounds of a few movements. Following the main page one may have days of just say 5x5 squats,like say a heavy training day for a powerlifter. Hard to make that a class though, and things like overhead squats many find to hard.

The bad thing is xfit is becoming main stream, Rebock crossfit games etc.

I like being the odd ball not following fads... www.rosstraining.com is another sick site check out his videos on it.

check out htis one.

Well time for another Magic hat circus boy beer.....

Edited by Larry302

For the record, creatine is an unnecessary supplement that is used to build egos, not improve fitness. Most who use creatine...use other "supplements" as well. What is wrong with simply exercising with traditional methods...without the use of unnecessary, abnormal supplements, for the purpose of improving fitness, rather than falsely boosting someone's fragile ego?

If you are on the juice...you are on the juice. Do not try to claim otherwise! Unnatural, abnormal muscle bulk is not only ugly...it is unhealthy!

If your on the juice it would be a waste of money to use creatine so not sure what other supplements you are refering to. And dont nock the creatine till youve tried it. I find it reduces my recovery time and I get more energy for lifting heavy. All bodies are different maybe it wont help you but it does me. As far as Unnatural, abnormal muscle bulk is not only ugly...it is unhealthy! I would have to say is just your opinion. Alot of people pay alot of money to go see the pro's and to look like them, so I think more than a few people think it looks good.

Yeah, that training video is hilarious! Maybe for hunters they should come up with an exercise using a deer carcass? LOL All I know is that those who love to look at their bulging muscles in the mirror when they are young, are usually the ones with the most flab when they get older. Way more smart to keep your heart and lungs in better shape, then to worry about big muscles. Someone who exercises properly will have good muscle tone and good flexibility and stamina, which is all that really matters. They won't have big muscles, but who the hell cares? The lean type who concentrate on cardio will outlast any musclehead in any endurance type activity by a considerable margin.

My entire reasoning for working out is not to get big.. hell... I'm 47... Why would I need to get big... If I get in a fight, I'm drawing the Glock 30 and ending the fight... I'm to old to fight any other way.. LOL... I just don't want to die like my father did last April... I don't want my kids to go through what I did trying to help him and take care of my Dad... My dad was a great man, he just never took his health as a priority though.. And he went far to soon (74 years old) and painfully... Lung cancer, Diabetic, heart issues, etc... I don't want my kids to feel as helpless as I did with my Dad...

All the anecdotal support evidence presented here reminds me of a study I helped conduct while in graduate school. Overweight people were sought out to participate in a trial study of a new weight loss pill. The pills given to the subjects were actually sugar pills. Every subject...100%...lost weight during the trial period...and swore it was because of the pills.

Several good chuckles from this thread....keep 'em coming!

For the record: steve863 gets it!

For the record: steve863 gets it!

LOL, thanks for thinking that I do!! I don't claim to be an expert on fitness, but from what I have witnessed over the years, the muscleheads generally have the least cardio stamina and endurance. Other than having big muscles, they are really not in very good shape otherwise. My wifes family members brought a few of these types on some hikes we have done in the past. These dudes are huffing and puffing before we are 1/2 mile down the trail! I also always get a kick how the muscleheads can't pass a mirror without stopping to admire themselves. It's funny as hell! LOL

LOL, thanks for thinking that I do!! I don't claim to be an expert on fitness, but from what I have witnessed over the years, the muscleheads generally have the least cardio stamina and endurance. Other than having big muscles, they are really not in very good shape otherwise. My wifes family members brought a few of these types on some hikes we have done in the past. These dudes are huffing and puffing before we are 1/2 mile down the trail! I also always get a kick how the muscleheads can't pass a mirror without stopping to admire themselves. It's funny as hell! LOL

not always true, i have seen in my years a few guys who were pretty big, built/cut up who have great stamina... I mean not the guys that cant wipe their own ass but just because they are big doesn't mean they have no stamina. You should watch UFC, watch the guys who can go 5 minute rounds at 270lbs. You know how stringent a few 5 minute rounds are? pretty dang bad.

my goal is to knock a few ponds off but have the athletic look, very cutup and defined. also looking to have some noticeable vascularity... ive been big on a few occasions and at this point its just not something im looking to be.

If your on the juice it would be a waste of money to use creatine so not sure what other supplements you are refering to. And dont nock the creatine till youve tried it. I find it reduces my recovery time and I get more energy for lifting heavy. All bodies are different maybe it wont help you but it does me. As far as Unnatural, abnormal muscle bulk is not only ugly...it is unhealthy! I would have to say is just your opinion. Alot of people pay alot of money to go see the pro's and to look like them, so I think more than a few people think it looks good.

im not a huge fan of creatine, theres not many on the market IMO that does not produce bloat and water retention. I find glutamine powder to be the way to go to help going catabolic. Its an Anti Catabloc agent and does its job. I also love Scivation Extend (Aminos), great product. Or any product made by BSN is good stuff...

I tried creatine once when I was younger. As a teen, I couldn't put on weight for the life of me. One summer I was consuming 12K calories a day and working out like a mad man. Instead of gaining weight, I actually lost 5 lbs but I ripped beyond belief and ridiculous strong for my size. I tried creatine and I just kept making me piss out of my ass so I gave up on it after 2 weeks. I was 18 years old at the time so I didn't know much about working out.

Geno, I'm sure there might be some muscle bound guys who have good stamina, but in general for those who put in an equal amount of time exercising, the ones who concentrate on the cardio will win on the stamina and endurance side. Again, I don't profess to be an expert on this stuff, but just how can all these concoctions you guys drink and take be good for someone in the long run?? I simply don't see it. Just like with medications. It may help you with one thing, but it surely is screwing up something else inside you. Eat your meat and veggies and be done with it. Anything else will screw with your system one way or another.

Geno....I must ask: Are you related to Norm Crosby?

OK, this interesting. What doing with you mentioning Norm Crosby??? The only thing I know about him was that he is a comedian and I think he is partially deaf. Now please explain the rest. LOL

Edited by steve863