How would you handle this?

Five Seasons

Flip the script with him. Call him and ask him how many tags he has left. Tell him how many you have left. Ask him if he wants to get together and hunt and kill a deer. Tell him if he wants to donate it you'd take it and be very grateful and appreciate it, but you can't pay him lol. Try and be a mentor one more time. Tell him the same stories about your father and his FIL that you just told here. Laugh, smile and lay it out to him one more time. I know it sounds like a completely opposite train of thought but sometimes you have to kill them with kindness. Some get it. Some don't.

Make plans for next year. Now. Times change. Roll with it and consider it a new hunting challenge. The other place you have to hunt may have issues but they all do. You need a psychology degree these days to deal with people when it comes to killing deer on land you don't own.

Keep telling your father it's all great. Hunt with him as much as you can there. Drive him over the next time he delivers sausage to his friend. Turn the 35yrs hunting there into 45 for your pops. 

• Like 1

13 hours ago, Jeremy K said:

I know for a fact at one of my spots that the neighbors bait and another will shoot a deer out of season if he needs meat ,I've never even considered telling on them.

The thought of ratting on him hasn't entered my mind to be honest. I just don't know how to handle it.

13 hours ago, TreeGuy said:

Keep poking that bear and your gonna ruin that relationship your dad has.... Just my .o2

Sent from my LM-V405 using Tapatalk

I'm not sure I really poked the bear other than informing him what he was considering was illegal. Do you guys all turn the other way when someone informs you they're about to do something illegal, knowing it's possible they might not even be aware it's illegal?

Heck every year new hunters come on here and unintentionally admit to doing or thinking of doing something wrong. Ya'll are pretty quick to set them straight here, why would this be different?

11 hours ago, Enigma said:

Flip the script with him. Call him and ask him how many tags he has left. Tell him how many you have left. Ask him if he wants to get together and hunt and kill a deer. Tell him if he wants to donate it you'd take it and be very grateful and appreciate it, but you can't pay him lol. Try and be a mentor one more time. Tell him the same stories about your father and his FIL that you just told here. Laugh, smile and lay it out to him one more time. I know it sounds like a completely opposite train of thought but sometimes you have to kill them with kindness. Some get it. Some don't.

Make plans for next year. Now. Times change. Roll with it and consider it a new hunting challenge. The other place you have to hunt may have issues but they all do. You need a psychology degree these days to deal with people when it comes to killing deer on land you don't own.

Keep telling your father it's all great. Hunt with him as much as you can there. Drive him over the next time he delivers sausage to his friend. Turn the 35yrs hunting there into 45 for your pops. 

it's not bad advice. That was my approach this year. Buddy up, mentor and like I said help him learn how to butcher his own deer. I think you can all see how helping someone in need only to see them go and blast away more can be a little bit of a spit in the face. It's like loaning your buddy gas money in desperate times only to have him buy a new phone the next month.

3 minutes ago, Belo said:

has been attempted. Not for sale. The deer are all of ours though, that's the North American model, this isn't England. 

Agreed deer are a natural resource for all to enjoy, but I think your smart enough to know if a deer your after enters private property that you don't have access too, you have lost that resource for the time being. To be very honest, the things you are dealing with are the very reason I bought my 41 acres 13 years ago. Doesn't seem very enjoyable what your doing. 

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Belo said:

it's not bad advice. That was my approach this year. Buddy up, mentor and like I said help him learn how to butcher his own deer. I think you can all see how helping someone in need only to see them go and blast away more can be a little bit of a spit in the face. It's like loaning your buddy gas money in desperate times only to have him buy a new phone the next month.

Not if its done legally, not much can be done. 

5 minutes ago, NYBowhunter said:

Agreed deer are a natural resource for all to enjoy, but I think your smart enough to know if a deer your after enters private property that you don't have access too, you have lost that resource for the time being. To be very honest, the things you are dealing with are the very reason I bought my 41 acres 13 years ago. Doesn't seem very enjoyable what your doing. 

That's the point, it's put a stink on the last few seasons and it's why I'm working other angles now. Hunting is my greatest passion after family, and it should be enjoyed, not teenage girl drama.

4 minutes ago, NYBowhunter said:

Not if its done legally, not much can be done. 

my point on that comment wasn't the legality, just the decency of it. 

Edited by Belo

5 minutes ago, Belo said:

That's the point, it's put a stink on the last few seasons and it's why I'm working other angles now. Hunting is my greatest passion after family, and it should be enjoyed, not teenage girl drama.

My point, if done legally not much can be done, decent or not hes doing it on a property you hunt. Get those other angles in order for next season and move on. Been there done that, no more. Was tired of people telling me when I could hunt,  not knowing who was gonna show up. I was very successful, but it wasn't enjoyable. Unlike you, I still manged to kill mature bucks and does on the properties i had permission to hunt but it wasn't good not knowing what could  happen next. How about traveling 4 hours only to be told you can't hunt because family of the landowner came up the last minute.  I know what your going thru, get out and make it enjoyable, you will be much better off, trust me.

• Like 1

has been attempted. Not for sale. The deer are all of ours though, that's the North American model, this isn't England. 

Sounds good in theory but doesn’t really work in real life.

If neighbors son in law wants to fill tags he’s paid for and shooting deer you’d like to kill it’s tough shit for you. What he does with them isn’t any of yours or anyone else’s business.

Your question was how would we handle it and like I said I would try to buy if it’s not for sale I would stay on your fathers piece and not worry about what the neighbors do.

I’ve lost more properties than I can remember, there was a time 15 years ago when I could hunt my entire 2000 acre block. Now I’m down to about 600 acres of it. I’ve let 18 bucks go this year in that block and I would be shocked if 4 of those 18 are still alive. I used to let it bother me but I have zero control over it and I no longer care.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  • Like 3

Belo, I don't know how far away you are from properties that get leased by timber companies, but maybe you could spare yourself a LOT of headaches by  leasing yourself a small chunk of their land.  I leased two years ago and I consider it the best damned investment I ever made regarding hunting.  I get year round use of it, even camped on it this summer with the family.  I practically feel like I own it.  Hardly anyone hunts in the surrounding properties.  The hunting may not be as great as hunting agriculture land but I managed to fill my freezer with venison the last two seasons nonetheless.  Now that my son is old enough to hunt the investment is even more worth it.  Worth every cent I spend on the lease and in the scheme of things it really doesn't even cost that much.  I wouldn't trade the aggravation you are having for the money I pay for it, that's for sure.

• Like 2

First, i agree with everyone that says there really isn't anything you can do about it other than maybe ruin your chances of hunting so tread lightly. 

Second, I am assuming this person is younger. People go through stages in life as they get older. 15 years ago, i would have gladly killed a spike horn or any other deer i had a tag for, and I would have no patience if i didn't see deer. Now i am just happy being out in the woods. As you get older, you enjoy the things about hunting that you didn't pay attention too when you were younger. Watching the squirrels, the sunrise or set, the woods wake up etc. I am guessing he will get to that point as well so mentor him and hang in there. Maybe 5 years from now it will be a great relationship.....

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Belo said:

I'm in agreeance with the poking the bear. You're poking it. Stop or understand the risk if you continue. Treeguy is 100% right. 

Better yet, do something about your passion to reduce the drama. Working angles sounds like a half-assed solution to me. You have means. Make it a priority to give you what you need out of the passion. You've commented here alot (my perception) this year of not getting out or staying up late due to wine and this/that the other (at least say lie and say whiskey on this site for Pete's sake). But, then this is what bothers you? If that's really driving you not getting out as much, go change it man. You're smarter than this, I know that for sure. I remember you posting about this guy a couple years ago. You've had lead time to have a Plan A, Plan B, Plan C.

Just calling it like I see it - opinion.

Edited by phade
  • Like 7

1 hour ago, NYBowhunter said:

My point, if done legally not much can be done, decent or not hes doing it on a property you hunt. Get those other angles in order for next season and move on. Been there done that, no more. Was tired of people telling me when I could hunt,  not knowing who was gonna show up. I was very successful, but it wasn't enjoyable. Unlike you, I still manged to kill mature bucks and does on the properties i had permission to hunt but it wasn't good not knowing what could  happen next. How about traveling 4 hours only to be told you can't hunt because family of the landowner came up the last minute.  I know what your going thru, get out and make it enjoyable, you will be much better off, trust me.

To be clear, I had a good bow season harvest wise. Gun has sucked haha. I just don't share my stuff publicly. 

42 minutes ago, phade said:

I'm in agreeance with the poking the bear. You're poking it. Stop or understand the risk if you continue. Treeguy is 100% right. 

Better yet, do something about your passion to reduce the drama. Working angles sounds like a half-assed solution to me. You have means. Make it a priority to give you what you need out of the passion. You've commented here alot (my perception) this year of not getting out or staying up late due to wine and this/that the other (at least say lie and say whiskey on this site for Pete's sake). But, then this is what bothers you? If that's really driving you not getting out as much, go change it man. You're smarter than this, I know that for sure. I remember you posting about this guy a couple years ago. You've had lead time to have a Plan A, Plan B, Plan C.

Just calling it like I see it - opinion.

I haven't touched liquor in 10+ years, as a type 1 diabetic it doesn't do anything good for me. Sure there are days where I've stayed up too late or just struggled with the alarm clock... I have 3 kids, wife had major surgery, i started a new job. Shit happens. I also think it's fair and understandable that when the cams go quiet and sightings go down that it's harder to get motivated. I've still sat over 30 times and punched 2 tags. I think that's above average? lol

Still your point is fair and as you seem to be following my posts, you may recall I have permission to 2 more properties. Maybe take this post as more of a vent and therapy to type it out and get it off my chest. 2 of the 3 best bucks I've ever harvested have come here, I've been shooting robins back there since I was 8. Some of you have this "well suck it up and move on" attitude that I scratch my head at. To see a property you've hunted for 30 years go to shit deserves a little bitching and moaning no? Even if I'm finding new land, is it not fair to be upset at losing another?

Working to buy farm land that's in my wife's family doesn't seem half assed to me... 

Edited by Belo
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Buckmaster7600 said:

If neighbors son in law wants to fill tags he’s paid for and shooting deer you’d like to kill it’s tough shit for you. What he does with them isn’t any of yours or anyone else’s business.

Is that really how you feel? Where's the line on legality for you when you stop sitting by and letting it happen? Baiting? Spot lighting? Not tagging?

honest question, because this response surprises me some as I figured most of us here were stewards of the land

2 minutes ago, Belo said:

I haven't touched liquor in 10+ years, as a type 1 diabetic it doesn't do anything for me. Sure there are days where I've stayed up too late or just struggled with the alarm clock, I think it's fair and understandable that when the cams go quiet and sightings go down that it's harder to get motivated.

Still your point is fair and I as you seem to be following my posts, you may recall I have permission to 2 more properties. Maybe take this post as more of a vent and therapy to type it out and get it off my chest. 2 of the 3 best bucks I've ever harvested have come here, I've been shooting robins back there since I was 8. Some of you have this "well suck it up and move on" attitude that I scratch my head at. To see a property you've hunted for 30 years go to shit deserves a little bitching and moaning no? Even if I'm finding new land, is it not fair to be upset at losing another?

Working to buy farm land that's in my wife's family doesn't seem half assed to me... 

I think you know by now that any topical jab I can take at you I will in light-hearted fun, hence the whiskey comment. Don't die, bro. But for the remainder, it sounds like you haven't really lost property before and maybe even property that means alot. I think alot of the people who are replying similar to me have. And, I think that experience gap is what is driving a different perspective than what you are sharing.

Losing property was one of my biggest motivators and honestly, losing meaningful property drove me to get what I needed or wanted out of the passion. I think most of those who respond similar to me found the same compass direction, if you will.

• Thanks 1

1 minute ago, phade said:

I think you know by now that any topical jab I can take at you I will in light-hearted fun, hence the whiskey comment. Don't die, bro. But for the remainder, it sounds like you haven't really lost property before and maybe even property that means alot. I think alot of the people who are replying similar to me have. And, I think that experience gap is what is driving a different perspective than what you are sharing.

Losing property was one of my biggest motivators and honestly, losing meaningful property drove me to get what I needed or wanted out of the passion. I think most of those who respond similar to me found the same compass direction, if you will.

it's funny you mention this. talking with my dad last night we discussed the same thing regarding some spots we have high probability opportunities to hunt and just never had the push to pursue until now and maybe this guy is doing us a favor, despite the work that comes with it.

I hope to find some buck beds and hunt them next fall ;)

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Belo said:

it's funny you mention this. talking with my dad last night we discussed the same thing regarding some spots we have high probability opportunities to hunt and just never had the push to pursue until now and maybe this guy is doing us a favor, despite the work that comes with it.

I hope to find some buck beds and hunt them next fall ;)

buck beds FTW.

DSC_0717 (1).jpg

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

30 minutes ago, Belo said:

To be clear, I had a good bow season harvest wise. Gun has sucked haha. I just don't share my stuff publicly. 

Thats fine and congrats.  But I want to enjoy every time I go out, bow, crossbow, rifle, ML, spring, summer , winter and fall....to me the kill is a small part of what I enjoy about the hunt and owning property..  but thats me. I understand that not all have the means or desire to own, but if your passion is what you say it is then do something to change your current situation,  if not then deal with it. Its that simple.