Jump to content

Knee deep in bathroom remodel


Recommended Posts

So this is my  last room downstairs to be remodeled and I’m finding it being the smallest to be the biggest pain. Ok what I’ve done -  tore out old closest , drop ceiling and the double layer of  luan and vinyl flooring .I framed in for a new ceiling and closet,  new exhaust fan and light duct work / vent ,  installed duct work for heat  and did a 90 for wall vent ( it is so nice having heat in the bathroom ) installed another outlet , hung half the ceiling and got the closet shelving in . We’re using a PVC dual sided shiplap one side is  standard shiplap and the other is wainscoting. Wainscoting side going on ceiling  standard on walls . Will finish up the trim and and install bifold doors this weekend after staining . Still waiting on the shower unit then more framing before install. Pretty happy how it’s going but still lots of work left. 

F6ED70DA-E160-4BC0-B370-50005A74D590.jpeg

E3A046BA-4A0F-432A-9829-8FF77E442D28.jpeg

AD000D9D-CAF0-4EFD-926E-E3AB4C6E571A.jpeg

C131C514-F654-4B25-99DA-FAF3203EB8DC.jpeg

02D46B2B-5364-45CE-B8BD-D93D78273CD7.jpeg

EAD57EC2-4E42-4B5D-AC65-5953CDB0BE3B.jpeg

2C98BF1E-360F-4CE0-A8C4-4146D021A360.jpeg

Edited by rob-c
  • Like 8
Link to post
Share on other sites

I did the same in our previous home.  Closet became a walkin shower.  Did all the tile work myself.  Lots of work indeed.  I enjoyed doing it because the finished product was something I created. I'll dig up some photos if I can find some.  It was 12 yrs ago.  Lol.

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
  • 2 weeks later...

Well closet is done, still waiting on shower unit, that’s really holding me up now .  We decided to sand our original oak vanity to see and it turned out very nice, so we’re going to re- stain it and use it zero wrong with it. Wife wanted a barn door type doors on the vanity so I got them cut up and gluing  them together now .Home Depot got in our bifold door today to go in between the bathroom /  laundry room. So she’s going to have another weekend  of staining again, she’s done it all. 

11464083-BC2F-4C84-90A9-F78A1BA0ACC6.jpeg

98BA7846-83EF-4111-A542-7AA9820AB58C.jpeg

  • Like 14
Link to post
Share on other sites

Bathroom remodels are the worse.  When I did mine I could believe the hidden problems.  Previous remodel someone cut halfway through a bunch of floor joist to make way for plumbing.

However I did find a collect of various vintage beer cans from 50's tuck in wall.  This guy must have been a real pro.

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Otto said:

Looks really nice!  Great work!

What are you doing on the ceiling for a finish?

We’re using pvc  dual sided shiplap one side is  standard shiplap and the other is wainscoting. Wainscoting side going on ceiling  standard on walls .

Link to post
Share on other sites
57 minutes ago, hueyjazz said:

Bathroom remodels are the worse.  When I did mine I could believe the hidden problems.  Previous remodel someone cut halfway through a bunch of floor joist to make way for plumbing.

However I did find a collect of various vintage beer cans from 50's tuck in wall.  This guy must have been a real pro.

I already repaired a floor joist where they  cut it and did hack repair and just nailed a 2 by 4 on it . 

Edited by rob-c
Link to post
Share on other sites
  • 4 weeks later...
Posted (edited)

Figured I’d update what I’ve been doing. Did  a weeks vacation and have the bath room 95% done. Lots of work and repair done but it’s coming together. 

ECEF0AA0-A258-4674-9E5F-3BF680EC41DC.jpeg

01160AB3-AABA-41F5-B5D1-0A5A530E8AD0.jpeg

F62DB988-04C4-42FC-A8F3-2E37F254CAF8.jpeg

2382B7AA-8AE6-4946-BCA8-ED1B9BEB74F2.jpeg

8F2F53D7-38C0-4E6F-B6FD-6AF08A803135.jpeg

9B0CC565-00D8-47AF-A94E-AF400F7DF684.jpeg

7E69501B-C483-4CD2-B080-4A22516A0023.jpeg

8694B8C3-D3E8-423D-85C6-486CC3E8D7DD.jpeg

3D426182-EBD1-4F2A-830D-B8A530D78CDA.jpeg

Edited by rob-c
  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

The only original part left from the vanity was the front frame. I made new sides, bottom and built the doors. Wife wanted a barn door look , she sanded and stained it. 

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

I've done a few bathroom remodels over the years.  They were enough for me.  Lol.  But it is always nice when it is done.  You've done some good work.  It looks great!!

  • Thanks 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
16 minutes ago, boo711 said:

I've done a few bathroom remodels over the years.  They were enough for me.  Lol.  But it is always nice when it is done.  You've done some good work.  It looks great!!

Oh believe you me , I’ve about had enough. The corners and cost cutting they did before me has doubled the amount of time I’ve spent on this . Just the plumbing that I’ve replaced (the correct way ) has been time consuming. Not to mention nothing is square or plumb. Getting the floor level and walls  plumb for the shower unit was a fun challenge ..

Edited by rob-c
Link to post
Share on other sites
27 minutes ago, rob-c said:

Oh believe you me , I’ve about had enough. The corners and cost cutting they did before me has doubled the amount of time I’ve spent on this . Just the plumbing that I’ve replaced (the correct way ) has been time consuming. Not to mention nothing is square or plumb. Getting the floor level and walls  plumb for the shower unit was a fun challenge ..

Oh, believe me, I feel your pain. Just last week, I finished the third and final bathroom in my house. I started the demo the first week in January! I went through the exact same crap you did. Plus I had to chop up 3' each of the toilet and shower waste lines, under concrete deck, and redo them. Nothing plumb or square, wired for fire, uneven concrete deck, late delivery or damaged materials that had to be reordered. The granite vanity top showed up cracked, along with the back splash. It took over a month for the replacement to arrive. Then throw the wife's constant indecision into that mix!

I can't believe these guys did this kind of work as a profession! I'm a retired IBEW #3 electrician. I'm glad I had the opportunity to watch and learn from the all the other trades over the years.

The silver lining to it all this, is that by doing these projects myself, the money I save pays for my yearly hunts in Wyoming. It's all that keeps me sane.

Good luck with the rest of your project. It looks great so far!

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
16 minutes ago, eaglemountainman said:

Oh, believe me, I feel your pain. Just last week, I finished the third and final bathroom in my house. I started the demo the first week in January! I went through the exact same crap you did. Plus I had to chop up 3' each of the toilet and shower waste lines, under concrete deck, and redo them. Nothing plumb or square, wired for fire, uneven concrete deck, late delivery or damaged materials that had to be reordered. The granite vanity top showed up cracked, along with the back splash. It took over a month for the replacement to arrive. Then throw the wife's constant indecision into that mix!

I can't believe these guys did this kind of work as a profession! I'm a retired IBEW #3 electrician. I'm glad I had the opportunity to watch and learn from the all the other trades over the years.

The silver lining to it all this, is that by doing these projects myself, the money I save pays for my yearly hunts in Wyoming. It's all that keeps me sane.

Good luck with the rest of your project. It looks great so far!

Well you’ve got me beat 10 fold with having to bust up concrete,  no thank you. My shower unit had been on back order a for weeks but did arrive  in one peace . That was my biggest hurdle waiting for that. I had to install a 2 inch drain for the shower pan  and had to replace the sub floor and a cracked  toilet flange also. And I agree on doing it yourself this way it’s getting done correctly. 

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, rob-c said:

Well you’ve got me beat 10 fold with having to bust up concrete,  no thank you. My shower unit had been on back order a for weeks but did arrive  in one peace . That was my biggest hurdle waiting for that. I had to install a 2 inch drain for the shower pan  and had to replace the sub floor and a cracked  toilet flange also. And I agree on doing it yourself this way it’s getting done correctly. 

Lots of satisfaction and piece of mind.

Edited by eaglemountainman
  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, The_Real_TCIII said:

Looks great! I built a similar vanity

 

image.thumb.png.8550b7ee4a8758c91149ce15116b9226.png

Wife was looking hard at a sink like that, how do you guys like it ? 

Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×
×
  • Create New...