What’s a decent gun safe

luberhill

8 minutes ago, Steuben Jerry said:

When I was a machinist, I made the mistake of lining my toolboxes with carpeting. Bad mistake, carpeting holds moisture, rubber doesn't. On the Monday after the first humid weekend I was developing rust on many $$ worth of expensive tools. And that was in an air conditioned building.

Probably not an issue if you have a goldenrod or some other drying device, but I thought I'd mention it. I use a knockoff of a goldenrod in my safe. 

I put a container of calcium chloride ice melt in my safe ..

It keeps the humidity at below 50 percent 

The most damage I get in the safe is from bolts from other guns.  M1 Garands are one of the prime offenders due to operating rod handle.  Everything I own goes into a gun sock.  I forget the name but most the ones I have ones that must be 3/4 inch thick.  Those are exceptional padding and every M1 gets one of those.  I also have some in just a 1/8" sock.  Allen I believe. Generally my Nagants and things get those.  Crowns have never suffered and way more damage to crown is done by people that don't know how to clean a gun.   

I will confess every safe I own is overcrowded.  I've discovered it's way easier to sneak another gun into the house than it is a safe. 

I know some claim these socks hold moisture to a gun.  I've never had an issue with that but each safe has a Goldenrod and I run two dehumidifiers in basement.  I have a lot of tools down there and also don't care to see them rust.  At least once a year every gun comes out of safe for an inspection, take apart, clean and oil.  Generally the winter months.  It sort of therapy. 

But nothing beats holding M1 while watching Band of Brothers.  But sometimes I take other side and it's a K98. 

For The Pacific it's the M1 Carbine 

Enemy at the Gate,  Mosin Nagant

I have a version of one of these. Cheap and easy to recharge a few times a year. 

https://www.walmart.com/ip/Remington-Model-365-Mini-Gun-Safe-Dehumidifier-Wireless-Rechargeable-19950/15729968

It is also interesting to think that storing a gun muzzle down, does lead it to be top heavy, less stable and while probably unlikely, more susceptible to falling

27 minutes ago, luberhill said:

I know machinists and tool makers that use thin carpet and they spray the carpet with M1 lube and then put the tools on it 

M1 displaces moisture though, it doesn't remove it or prevent it. You can actually lock in moisture with it. Maybe not the surface that's treated, but inner parts of an assembly that are under the surface.

Aren't safes designed for storage barrel up ?  I'm not home to look in mine.

I've never been to a gun shop that displays guns or stores them barrel down. Good luck to those that do it that way .

Edited by sbuff

7 hours ago, TLR said:

Browning,cannon,winchester,liberty are, great safes, we turned 1_of the extra,rooms,in our new,home into a,man cave/den/gunroom  complete,with a browning vault door  and,a,browning silver 33  safe,

All considered residential storage containers...

Again better than nothing , I’m just looking for something stronger 

33 minutes ago, Dinsdale said:

I think it's funny to those thinking muzzle down would hurt a crown.

You should see what 99% of barrels look like with a real bore scope. You'd be mortified.:rofl:

Most of mine are muzzle down in my safe; some in socks and some not.  If they fall out when the door opens it only means they weren't put in correctly, pretty simple.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Lawdwaz said:

Most of mine are muzzle down in my safe; some in socks and some not.  If they fall out when the door opens it only means they weren't put in correctly, pretty simple.

Or you have too many guns  .... time to buy another  safe...then more guns ... and then another safe ...

• Haha 2

My friend in Walworth bought a CHAMPION gun safe from Beikirchs in 2002 for $1559 .it had the electronic key pad to unlock it . Last summer he tried to open it with no luck even after changing the batteries  . He called the company who wasn't able to help him get the gun safe open . It is one of the safes with the hinges inside to avoid theft . He had to get a locksmith who worked on the safe for a total of 15 hours over a 2-3 day period . The locksmith contacted the company to get a schematic drawing so he would know where to drill and that was no easy task . So anyway , the guy got the safe open and Bob had him install a Dial Lock instead of replacing it with a new electronic lock  . Cost of the Locksmith , who gave Bob a break , was $600 . 

• Like 1

Dinsdale

I own a bore scope and know how to use it.   Every firearm I own is annually is cleaned, lube and inspected plus has bore scope done before and after.

A 100% of collection is in gun socks.  No humidity issues by space is very controlled.  Never have I had a crown problem and I do know what they should look like.  I collect military and gauged and deeply look at anything I purchase.   Many are cast away due to crown wear or get re-barreled if worth the effort.  I can do my own work on certain guns I have tools for.

Never have I had a crown issue from safe.  Bolts on things like Garands and Mosin Nagants obligate you to stagger in safe and alternating muzzle up and down is a good way.  But I don't make a habit of dropping them or load the safe so they fall forward.

I still stand by far more crowns are ruined by improper cleaning.  Cleaning from muzzle end when you could from action.  Not using bore guide when you have to use rod from muzzle end.  Or using a  rod that's segmented and/or too hard.  Those actions will ruin a crown quickly.  During war many did get destroyed this way.

• Like 1

For $2000 these days you can buy a home security system and access the video from your phone even.  I would do that before I drop 2k on a big hunk of metal that you can barely move that holds a dozen guns. Your also protecting everything in your house and not just guns. 
You can do it for way less than that if you just buy a few cameras that run off wifi.
I have mine to keep my guns away from prying eyes and my kids........no need to break the bank on the biggest and baddest safe on the market.
On the flip side when the housing market wasn't nutzo and buyers had a little more control...I heard a story from a realtor friend of a home owner having to pay a bunch to have a safe removed from the house the new buyer wasn't interested in....no clue why they didn't want it...but the home owner had to pay to get the safe moved and the house sold.

Sent from my SM-A716V using Tapatalk

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, Robhuntandfish said:

For $2000 these days you can buy a home security system and access the video from your phone even.  I would do that before I drop 2k on a big hunk of metal that you can barely move that holds a dozen guns. Your also protecting everything in your house and not just guns. 

Well in a perfect world that’s a great idea ..

Talk to a NYS Trooper and ask why this idea works for SOME areas but is not without flaws in OTHER areas ..

6 minutes ago, mlammerhirt said:

You can do it for way less than that if you just buy a few cameras that run off wifi.
I have mine to keep my guns away from prying eyes and my kids........no need to break the bank on the biggest and baddest safe on the market.
On the flip side when the housing market wasn't nutzo and buyers had a little more control...I heard a story from a realtor friend of a home owner having to pay a bunch to have a safe removed from the house the new buyer wasn't interested in....no clue why they didn't want it...but the home owner had to pay to get the safe moved and the house sold.

I heard of several buyers that offered the sellers cash to leave the safe .

I even changed the combo on two of them 

11 minutes ago, mlammerhirt said:

Definitely.  GF had one she bought for like $400.  She can open up the app on her phone and see a live feed from the house. Pretty cool.  

If someone wants to spend $2000 to protect a few guns up to them and great if that's affordable for them.  Heck if enough money can buy a walk in safe with a panic room. Lol. 

But a security system for the whole house seems money more wisely spent to me. Protects the most important things in your home - the family. Plus you can spend more on guns instead of a place to store them. 

12 minutes ago, luberhill said:

Well in a perfect world that’s a great idea ..

Talk to a NYS Trooper and ask why this idea works for SOME areas but is not without flaws in OTHER areas ..

To each their own. If the setup is avail then ask a trooper what is a better buy for a home. They will tell you a home security system everytime.

I understand wanting to protect your guns, I have a safe as well. But I wouldn't spend thousands for one.  Just my opinion.  I would only spend that much if it was protecting more than some guns. 

And if it was "a perfect world" you wouldn't need either of them. Best of both worlds is to have both .

20 minutes ago, Robhuntandfish said:

To each their own. If the setup is avail then ask a trooper what is a better buy for a home. They will tell you a home security system everytime.

I understand wanting to protect your guns, I have a safe as well. But I wouldn't spend thousands for one.  Just my opinion.  I would only spend that much if it was protecting more than some guns. 

And if it was "a perfect world" you wouldn't need either of them. Best of both worlds is to have both .

Yes, to each his own , and I have asked a State Trooper , they advised in MY situation a real safe !

cheers 

Edited by luberhill

27 minutes ago, Robhuntandfish said:

Definitely.  GF had one she bought for like $400.  She can open up the app on her phone and see a live feed from the house. Pretty cool.  

If someone wants to spend $2000 to protect a few guns up to them and great if that's affordable for them.  Heck if enough money can buy a walk in safe with a panic room. Lol. 

But a security system for the whole house seems money more wisely spent to me. Protects the most important things in your home - the family. Plus you can spend more on guns instead of a place to store them. 

Yup to protect just a “ few” guns it would be kinda crazy ..

Again, there are areas of the state and different circumstances where a security camera is worthless