It's Been Fun

fasteddie

Just now, GreeneHunter said:

X2 ... This site is well worth keeping around ! I've enjoyed being a member here and I'm sure the vast majority have also !

If it would go "poof" I'd feel like I lost a whole bunch of friends all at once like in a plane accident or something!

• Like 3

This thread still going? Just checking.

It's definitely off-season.

I certainly don't post as much on here, but the few I like interacting with make it worthwhile. I barely post hunting related content now, and that is what I wished this site would focus on, but I just accept it for what it is, literally social media.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, phade said:

This thread still going? Just checking.

It's definitely off-season.

I certainly don't post as much on here, but the few I like interacting with make it worthwhile. I barely post hunting related content now, and that is what I wished this site would focus on, but I just accept it for what it is, literally social media.

Appreciate your content Phade!

• Like 3

40 minutes ago, Steuben Jerry said:

If it would go "poof" I'd feel like I lost a whole bunch of friends all at once like in a plane accident or something!

I have belonged to three message boards that went poof and it was all because of garbage similar to what is posted in this thread and others threads like it which seems to be constant here. Message boards with long longevity are run like a tight ship.

Al

Edited by airedale

16 hours ago, The Jerkman said:

What I dislike is over modding and that is exactly what was the issue at hand. Removing that post of a belly button. There are plenty others that were rightfully removed. That was not one of them. That said I have no issues with Eddie on a personal level. I really genuinely hope he does stay on as a contributor and fellow regular member.

#WeDemandUnlimitedLikes
#WeDemandADislikeButton

15 hours ago, XGX7PM said:

First off ł have laughed at a lot of what has been posted across this forum, not saying ł haven't.

What's been going on has me contemplating the following:

1.) This is a public facing forum. What we do/say/circulate is viewed by all... Hunters, aspiring hunters, and antis.

-We are painting a picture of who/what a NY Hunter is to all the outsiders looking in. We aren't exactly painting a great picture with consitent pety squabbles, personal attacks and questionable threads.

2.) Potential hunters of all ages (and their parents) are wandering across this forum and are forming an opinion of our sport based partially on how the Hunters here conduct themselves. 

-Does our content engage our potential replacements? Hunting is done and over with if the young don't want to take our places.

☆☆☆ Most importantly, you should be able to open any thread on this forum and not have to close it if you're at work or your kid walks over and can see your phone screen. (Barring any photos of a harvest)☆☆☆

End rant. 

I got the impression that it wasn't so much the picture, but that after it was removed he went and posted it again. I can understand how the retaliatory act is worse. A cop tells you to stop reaching into your glove box and you should probably comply... 

• Like 2

14 hours ago, XGX7PM said:

How many forum members here have a junior hunter in their family?

How many of those members who answered yes have invited said junior hunter to this forum?

This is a good idea. My 3 sons can help add to the anti-crossbow numbers. 2 of them can't read or spell, but that doesn't stop a lot of you :):):)

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 5

4 hours ago, Steuben Jerry said:

Nah, I remember stormy. There was someone else. Came back a couple of times with new accounts I think. Maybe 3-4 years ago.

Oh geeze, what was that guys name. That was actually a long time ago, I would say like 7 years ago. Guy was obnoxious. 

3 hours ago, Dinsdale said:

Still a few here, figured that owner got sick of the same issues that plague every forum and threw in the towel. One day it was just gone. 2008?

After that dissapeared, dont remember how I came to find this place.

That site went away due to the whole debacle with a certain guy that found a set of huge sheds and posted it. It ended up showing up in national magazines and then the guy he bought the sheds from on eBay outted the whole thing as fake. The bad exposure killed the site. Once that site was gone, John created this one. 

• Like 1

There's alot of people on here who appreciate the effort you made Eddie, sorry to see you go.  Lord knows I've had to take a couple breaks from the site.  You're doing the right thing, when your aggravation is exceeding your enjoyment it's time to take a break.  Moderation on the internet is about as thankless a job as you get.

No point in getting down in the muck on this one, the damage is already done.

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, airedale said:

I have belonged to three message boards that went poof and it was all because of garbage similar to what is posted in this thread and others threads like it which seems to be constant here. Message boards with long longevity are run like a tight ship.

Al

See, I’ve seen the opposite as well. Forum sites that were great until they started to be run with an iron fist. People got sick of moderators nit picking every little thing, banning members for one time indiscretions and mistakes, etc etc. Also, the off topic type content keeps sites focused on seasonal type activities going in the off season. If off topic wasn’t allowed here, and all we could do is talk hunting, it would get stale and people would eventually stop posting. 

• Like 4

If off topic wasn’t allowed here, and all we could do is talk hunting, it would get stale and people would eventually stop posting. 

Especially when we are now in that weird transition period where there are minimal seasons even open

#WeDemandUnlimitedLikes
#WeDemandADislikeButton

• Like 1

12 hours ago, Versatile_Hunter said:

I love the idea of tough retirees quibbling over what color band goes best with their skin tone or whether a particular model goes best with jeans or Italian wool. 

I love the orange strap I put on my pilots watch , it’s a rubber strap infused with vanilla, as rubber tends to pick up smell from sweat . My inside joke is it’s a dive strap on a pilots watch !

The pilots watch is sterile , ie, no branding or listing the country that the movement was made in , in case  I go down behind enemy lines .

Tomorrow we can talk about my Seiko dive watch model SKX007 that was customized by a maker in Hong Kong ,that I then added a shark mesh strap too . Now I gotta figure out how to reset the clock on my Subaru ....

• Like 4
  • Haha 1

I got the impression that it wasn't so much the picture, but that after it was removed he went and posted it again. I can understand how the retaliatory act is worse. A cop tells you to stop reaching into your glove box and you should probably comply... 

So if I cop wanted you to do something they did not have the legal authority to ask you to do..... you would comply?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

38 minutes ago, Nomad said:

I love the orange strap I put on my pilots watch , it’s a rubber strap infused with vanilla, as rubber tends to pick up smell from sweat . My inside joke is it’s a dive strap on a pilots watch !

The pilots watch is sterile , ie, no branding or listing the country that the movement was made in , in case  I go down behind enemy lines .

Tomorrow we can talk about my Seiko dive watch model SKX007 that was customized by a maker in Hong Kong ,that I then added a shark mesh strap too . Now I gotta figure out how to reset the clock on my Subaru ....

Why not list the country you may go down in and be treated like a returning hero?

54 minutes ago, WNYBuckHunter said:

That site went away due to the whole debacle with a certain guy that found a set of huge sheds and posted it. It ended up showing up in national magazines and then the guy he bought the sheds from on eBay outted the whole thing as fake. The bad exposure killed the site. Once that site was gone, John created this one. 

Cory is who I think that was. I still don't understand the whole thing but that blew up.

He's active on FB...works for a county white collar role.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, WNYBuckHunter said:

See, I’ve seen the opposite as well. Forum sites that were great until they started to be run with an iron fist. People got sick of moderators nit picking every little thing, banning members for one time indiscretions and mistakes, etc etc. Also, the off topic type content keeps sites focused on seasonal type activities going in the off season. If off topic wasn’t allowed here, and all we could do is talk hunting, it would get stale and people would eventually stop posting. 

I've seen both. Both car forums. Both were dying slow deaths because the cars aren't made anymore, but one was the wild west and turned a lot off, but also attracted many. You get what you would expect though. An active off-topic section and a much smaller contribution to the core of the forum as the truly passionate people seem to tune out. There was another forum where the rules were so strict and one particular mod gave out point warnings for farting and nobody tuned in, there was a splinter forum started as a result but the issue became that the car itself didn't warrant 2 forums and both are alive but barely as the base is spread out and thin. Kinda like what happens when political parties splinter ie tea party or progressives. 

edit to say i agree with you on off-topic. But the very active forums i belong to allow off-topic with the exception of nudity, religion, politics. 

Edited by Belo
  • Like 1

Just wanted to say I really like wny and eddie. One i've met in person and I think they're both standup guys.

I've long been an advocate to remove the political section for anything not related to guns/conservation/hunting and it's always met with "YOu'Re TRyING to CenSOr my FrEE spEECh". 

I would still love to at least try it for a while. You may see many come back or new members join, or not... but I think it should be explored. 

• Like 2

Just wanted to say I really like wny and eddie. One i've met in person and I think they're both standup guys.
I've long been an advocate to remove the political section for anything not related to guns/conservation/hunting and it's always met with "YOu'Re TRyING to CenSOr my FrEE spEECh". 
I would still love to at least try it for a while. You may see many come back or new members join, or not... but I think it should be explored. 
We do have quite a few that solely post in the political threads about non hunting/firearms/conservation/outdoors politics. Those are ones I would not miss if they ran away because the political section disappeared

#WeDemandUnlimitedLikes
#WeDemandADislikeButton

• Like 1