Climber tree stands

apoallo

So I am new to climber stands just bought a Gorilla Expedition climber a few weeks ago and just wanted to know what is a good height to go up the tree?? I have a friend that goes up 30 feet so he says.. that seems too high for me

So I am new to climber stands just bought a Gorilla Expedition climber a few weeks ago and just wanted to know what is a good height to go up the tree?? I have a friend that goes up 30 feet so he says.. that seems too high for me

Hope your planning on just throwing it on a tree and leaving it there, you do know that thing weighs close to 40 lbs?

Unless a climber is adjustable from the tree (most are not designed for it) going 30' up and the diameter of the tree changes so much that the platform may not be level & safe. If the base is 20' from the ground I think you'll find that plenty high enough in most cases, IMO.

With a bow especially, the higher you go, the tougher the shot you will have due to the angle. In addition, usually the higher you go, the more difficult it will be to clear lanes. I understand that getting up higher helps prevent deer from seeing you, but at what price?

I hunt as high as the situation will let me, up to a max of about 16 or 17 feet.

I don;t hun't out of stands with the rifle. But if I did, I'm sure I would venture to go a little higher if a particular situation allowed for it.

• Like 1

Just a few things if your new to climbers if I may; Get used to it, pre season go find a tree and go up a few feet, and out how well the modle you buy settles in, how the seat adjusts, and setting up the harness strap. Get used to adjusting the starting angle. Avoid smooth bark trees. Also fix your drop rope so it doesn't get in the bite.

Personaly I like the foot platform as level as can be, if it's slightly down angled - can't get comfortable. Around 17' for me is good, sometimes near 20' Over 25' - might as well piss myself.

• Like 1

Depends on the area.. If you have good back cover (where you're not sky-lined) you can get away with 12' or so...But if if you're in an open hardwood area with streight, spaced out trees you have to go higher or you will get busted....every time.

All good tips Fantail

Edited by ants

I agree with what many have said. If I have good cover I may only climb 15-20 feet. I usually am 25-30' though. Seems to help disperse my scent and make my movements less likely to be seen by a deer(I cannot sit still for the the life of me). Since I have been climbing this high I rarely get busted by a deer. It seems like if I am only 15' off the ground, that just one little switch in the wind and it is game over.I love my summit and API.

Thanks. Yea I have been practicing with this stand and plan to continue to do so through this summer. Gonna try it on a bunch of different trees. Thanks for the advise!

Just remember, when you stand up in most climbers, the upper seat platform usually is not attached to the tree that well any more.Do not get lured into leaning against it with your legs(esp...sideways).Experiment from a few feet off the ground 1st.

You have a rope that connects the upper and lower platforms. USE IT!!! The first time I climbed with mine I hadn't used it yet. Got 15 or so feet in the air and the bottom dropped to the ground. Fortunately I had friends there to help me.

As to your question, I only go up about 15 feet.

You have a rope that connects the upper and lower platforms. USE IT!!! The first time I climbed with mine I hadn't used it yet. Got 15 or so feet in the air and the bottom dropped to the ground. Fortunately I had friends there to help me.

Yeap.... and if your friends are like mine , there will not be any help given until pictures are taken and a lot of laughing happens.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Folks are correct make sure you lower platform is strapped to the hand climber. Also get a great 5 point harness if you don't have one yet. The Tree Spider is really nice and light. Lastly, set the height so you are at the bottom of the canopy or you might get sky lighted depending on the topography of your stand. I have 25 years of experience using climbers. They're biggest downside is the weight. If you can leave in place for the bow season do so. I'd remove whatever squirrels will nibble on, like padded seats and back rests.

• 3 months later...

Over the years one of the things I've learned is most guys are guessing at heights and are way off, thinking they are higher then they are.

I work with ladders and I use a known lenght haul line . One guy I know who is not a fan of heights said he now had his stand at 15 feet. I could stand under it and touch it with an arrow.......10 feet at best.

Over the years one of the things I've learned is most guys are guessing at heights and are way off, thinking they are higher then they are.

I work with ladders and I use a known lenght haul line . One guy I know who is not a fan of heights said he now had his stand at 15 feet. I could stand under it and touch it with an arrow.......10 feet at best.

I cannot agree more. I find this all the time...everywhere from online to looking at a stand that was supposed to be 10' higher than it is. 95% of my stands are 15-20 feet. I have one that is 23 ft, and one that was 32 feet...and that was a real nose bleed. Hill country stands are different, though...it's one thing to HAVE to be 30 feet up to get over a ridge that'd be eye level at 15.

People largely overestimate height.

If I am climbing high, I'll start with the platform at an uncomfortable angle, which makes it a pain the first few cinches up, but prevents me from having to level mid climb. I can do it, I just prefer not to.

My trick when using a climber is to find a tree that has some low branches that i can use for cover and basically climb up until i get right into them (i've been as low as 12 feet)...keep your stand to the down wind side of a good deer trail and if cover is an issue i have even climbed up the tree with the trail on the back side. With my lone wolf im very comfortable climbing and then standing and turning and shooting behind me. A pain in the neck but you have that tree truck to block your outline. which ever way the deer comes from just ready yourself on the opposite side of the tree and your have a perfect quatering away shot ever time...as long as the deer do what you hope they will do which usually never happens

I only hunt out of climbers and in the beginning judging distance up was tricky. One of my first hunts I was up about 20' or so I thought until my buddy came over and grabbed my bottom platformwith a slight jump. As you get more comfortable the height becomes irrelevant to get the right shooting lane and cover. But like the others said you need to spend time in trees now, with helpers around preferably and tie in the bottom platform. It will drop out. I also prefer to have the bottom platform angled up slightly. It gives me a slightly more secure feeling as opposed to when it is angle down from the tree.

• 2 weeks later...

Depends on the cover in the area. If I'm in open hardwoods I go a bit higher (20').... My bow hoist rope is 20' if I'm on a hardwood next to a pine, there's no reason to go that high. I ALWAYS hook up my hunter safety system for the climb up/down. Keep in

Mind not only trajectory angles but the higher u go the more likely u are to blast a shoulder....