Early antlerless season 9/11-9/19

WNYTRPR

Damn, I thought I had until mid October, when early ML opens up north.   Now it looks like I will have two weekends in September to try and fill 2 antletless tags with a gun at home in wmu 9F.

It looks like I will have to get back on the range and check the zeros on my shotguns this week, and maybe thaw out the freezer.   It looks like our venison supply is down to one roast and less than 10 packs of grind, so I will try to get out there.

I have not needed my deer fridge in a few years but it is ready if needed for warm weather carcass aging in September.  I know I have a big doe with a big non-spotted fawn out back that I can try for anyhow.

20210821_144042.jpg

Edited by wolc123
  • Like 3

shit is horrible. I wont be out, and realize i can't control the neighbors or a few i share access with but hope to god they don't go out either. All the doe I have on cams right now all have spotted fawns. 

Mmmm those spotted fawns will fit perfectly in my oven for a whole roasted animal

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  • Like 4
  • Haha 1

8 minutes ago, Chef said:

Mmmm those spotted fawns will fit perfectly in my oven for a whole roasted animal

I was hunting hogs in Georgia a few years back,  and my bullet went through the ribcage of a 100 pound boar and hit a 12-15 pound piglet right in the side of the head..I roasted  it whole in a blue porcelain roaster and it was excellent....

• Like 6

The deer have it hard enough around here in late dec and early Jan with the snow let alone extending the seaseon... if they wanna do this crap this early than make a stipulation that the doe cant have fawns like they do for bears....I mean they can extend deer seaseon but wont for coyotes

Edited by silent death
  • Like 1

The deer have it hard enough around here in late dec and early Jan with the snow let alone extending the seaseon... if they wanna do this crap this early then make a stipulation that the doe cannot have a fawn with her 

All does have fawns this time of year unless they have already been killed… just because you don’t see one doesn’t mean it’s not there

• Confused 1

7 minutes ago, Chef said:

All does have fawns this time of year unless they have already been killed… just because you don’t see one doesn’t mean it’s not there

Most fawns around here that I've been seein can walk and are with there mothers in the fields sometimes theres 2 or 3 little ones havent seen any with spots thank god... and not all doe have fawns out of the 7 or 8 doe I have that hang around regularly have maybe 3 fawns between them .....I do believe that there is a law on the books in ny that u cant shoot a bear with cubs already " I think" so why not the same in this situation 

Edited by silent death
  • Haha 1

Most fawns around here that I've been seein can walk and are with there mothers in the fields sometimes theres 2 or 3 little ones havent seen any with spots thank god... and not all doe have fawns out of the 7 or 8 doe I have that hang around regularly have maybe 3 fawns between them .....I do believe that there is a law on the books in ny that u cant shoot a bear with cubs already " I think" so why not the same in this situation 

Cubs stay with the sow for two years. She usually starts with three Cubs then loses some to predation. A deer can take care of its self as soon as it’s weened. The areas the opened are over populated with deer,there trying to trim the herd. Long Island is out of control with deer and now turkeys.
I’m not sure if it’s a law or just not ethical to shot a sow with cubs.
d9b70fae6a601859b5e7367d3511afdc.jpg

• Like 4

22 hours ago, WNYTRPR said:

I see guys saying it’s great ,in the fact that they have more time to harvest a doe for their family .lol ok then ...

right? Because if you can't get it done from 10/1-12/20 certainly those warm ass days in September will be the ticket!

21 hours ago, Jeremy K said:

They'll realize your area as a human scent free zone ,you'll be good to go.

Well for one of my properties that's kinda true. the other has a son-in-law that walks all over like a... I'll just stop there. Trying to be a nicer person :) haha

• Like 1

4 hours ago, rachunter said:

Cubs stay with the sow for two years. She usually starts with three Cubs then loses some to predation. A deer can take care of its self as soon as it’s weened. The areas the opened are over populated with deer,there trying to trim the herd. Long Island is out of control with deer and now turkeys.
I’m not sure if it’s a law or just not ethical to shot a sow with cubs.

I don't think anyone is disputing that some areas of the state are overpopulated. But I think most of us also believe those areas also have restricted access. Either parks that don't allow hunting or vast tracks of private land that doesn't allow hunting. So sure you can put 10 swinging dicks on the 200 acres of farmers land, but all the smart deer will just hang out in the 15 acre park surrounded by homes next to it. It's not complicated.

4 minutes ago, Belo said:

right? Because if you can't get it done from 10/1-12/20 certainly those warm ass days in September will be the ticket!

Well for one of my properties that's kinda true. the other has a son-in-law that walks all over like a... I'll just stop there. Trying to be a nicer person :) haha

Exactly!

2 minutes ago, Belo said:

I don't think anyone is disputing that some areas of the state are overpopulated. But I think most of us also believe those areas also have restricted access. Either parks that don't allow hunting or vast tracks of private land that doesn't allow hunting. So sure you can put 10 swinging dicks on the 200 acres of farmers land, but all the smart deer will just hang out in the 15 acre park surrounded by homes next to it. It's not complicated.

It's really like having multiple "opening days". I notice the same thing for the late ML season. Even after a long gun season they are resuming day time feeding then. I wish they would split our gun into two seasons. I think it would help the take in High pop areas. 

• Like 2

I agree with that 100% I live on Long Island access is and always will be a issue. I was answering “silent death” question on why there doing it and the difference between bear and deer.
I hunted in October when they opened it up but totally disagreed with it.

11 minutes ago, rachunter said:

What some trophy hunters don’t realize is eventually there going to impose a earn a buck program in these area’s. This state’s conservation has always been a little behind then most other states.

If EAB was ever implemented here, no big deal to me. 

I don't shoot enough doe anymore due to one deer is enough meat for me now. And I'd rather kill a buck at this point of my hunting career. But there is always someone who could use extra venison. So I have no problem helping out if I can.

• Like 1

It had been a few years since we ate any doe meat, but the last one that we just started on a few weeks ago is pretty good.  It had been in the freezer and vacuum sealed since November 2019.  

We have been cooking the roasts in the crock pot, and even my daughters are really liking them. There is only one of them roasts left in the freezer now. That gives me incentive to get out there early.  

I have a busy afternoon planned: checking the zeros on 3 guns, trimming some shooting lanes, and planting a couple of wheat/white clover plots.  

• Like 1

The odd part about this and the extended late season are a lot of people who say the deer season is already too long were OK with both extensions. If the seasons are already too long then why is it OK to extent them?

I'm wondering if the earn a buck was put into place how many would stop hunting? I think more then a few would. I read and hear this sentiment from a good share of deer hunters, and there are even some right here on this forum.

I said it, a few others have eluded to it, that these seasons are to try and get over populations of doe in some areas under control. Adding new or longer seasons isn't the answer.

I would usually be all for anything that might get new hunters interested, I just can't get on board for this one.

I also want to add, that if this was in my area I'd probably die laughing seeing someone out there  wearing Bermuda shorts, one of those ultra light blaze orange vests, and pink flip flops trying to hunt deer. :blink:

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

If EAB was ever implemented here, no big deal to me. 
I don't shoot enough doe anymore due to one deer is enough meat for me now. And I'd rather kill a buck at this point of my hunting career. But there is always someone who could use extra venison. So I have no problem helping out if I can.

I know a lot of guys that would just grab a road kill doe rather then shoot one from there area. When they used to give out buck/doe tags here that’s what a lot of them did. I have a list of people I can donate to ether whole or cut.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Belo said:

It's not that people can't get it done they pass doe repeatedly waiting for their buck. If they would shoot doe we wouldn't have need for this season plus most of units that have it are 99% private land, the land owners don't shoot doe now this won't.make them either...

• Like 3

1 minute ago, G-Man said:

It's not that people can't get it done they pass doe repeatedly waiting for their buck. If they would shoot doe we wouldn't have need for this season plus most of units that have it are 99% private land, the land owners don't shoot doe now this won't.make them either...

You watch the Facebook forums at the end of the season ,90 % of people are complaining that there are no deer,and that they need to shorten the season .

• Haha 1

7 minutes ago, WNYTRPR said:

You watch the Facebook forums at the end of the season ,90 % of people are complaining that there are no deer,and that they need to shorten the season .

The best part of that is 10 % of the hunters take 90% of the game... being a bad hunter doesn't help so the 90% complaint is probably true

• Like 4