EHD...

NonTypical

Yes it does. I know there’s some more but didn’t see them but had clients smell them while on stand the other day. I can only imagine what’s dead out there, these were stumbled upon while doing pheasant trips on our preserve. Here’s just a few found
BD3F3CFB-CF6E-41FC-9B3E-9EDE32430FA8.thumb.jpeg.cb3b8b25886fe256fc9d30b0cf3143c6.jpeg
E8AB112A-2077-42C7-85AC-C86992015237.jpeg.1559a109520aaab31ca7666a00541d04.jpeg
4FA61DC2-D26D-4119-8EBE-36BF20B2BEEA.thumb.jpeg.1896267ced40a8231dfde86a9d7c6a50.jpeg
DF234698-3D87-48AC-A025-24A735FEC87A.thumb.jpeg.6ff5434e399f260705e886a4ad46d074.jpeg

Do you run a guide service ?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  • Like 1

On 10/15/2021 at 7:00 PM, Trial153 said:

As wet as it’s been this year EHD should have been a non issue, lakes river and stream where full, no mud below the water lines, no drought to speak off…yet we have EHD.

What are you talking about, no mud... This yr has been nothing but mud. Areas that are normally dry are a muddy mess. Swamps are the highest they've been, and the mud around them is incredible. Luckily, I haven't found any dead deer in my area.  First widespread frost of the year is supposed to be next week.  

Edited by mowin

What are you talking about, no mud... This yr has been nothing but mud. Areas that are normally dry are a muddy mess. Swamps are the highest they've been, and the mud around them is incredible. Luckily, I haven't found any dead deer in my area.  First widespread frost of the year is supposed to be next week.  

Usually the midges hatch in mud below the high water line which is why EHD is normally associated with drought conditions. Obviously that isn’t the case tho year;
As our climate continues to warm we can expect the frequency of out breaks more often in NY and I like have seen on our farm in the Midwest we have seen where EHD was devastating to our population and we suffered for several years. Who knows how much worse it would have been if hunters in the area had the full every legal tag minds set that is all too prevalent in New York.

3 hours ago, Trial153 said:

Usually the midges hatch in mud below the high water line which is why EHD is normally associated with drought conditions. Obviously that isn’t the case tho year;
As our climate continues to warm we can expect the frequency of out breaks more often in NY and I like have seen on our farm in the Midwest we have seen where EHD was devastating to our population and we suffered for several years. Who knows how much worse it would have been if hunters in the area had the full every legal tag minds set that is all too prevalent in New York.

But this yr has had a record amount of rain. And I've learned as a toddler ( a loooong time ago), that water and dirt = mud. 

I didn't see it ,  but a friend of mine saw a photo of a dead 14 pointer in Fishkill that succumbed to EHD.       I was told the area from Beacon to Hyde Park was hit especially hard with EHD again this year. 

Terrible. My brother lives in dutchess. Doesn’t hunt but he sees deer none dead yet

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Farm that I run dogs on in columbia county, the farmer told he is up two dozen this year. He said at night there isn’t a single deer in fields. And there are guys still trying to fill tags there.

I have a friend who hunts Columbia county. He saw 4 bucks today. And there’s more on camera. Seems like the EHD is in tight pockets

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

7 hours ago, NonTypical said:

F1862804-62A7-491F-B0F6-F68C967F636C.jpeg.8f9938104c683e6d20a4aa4bd1c04c6d.jpeg

1 hour ago, bruno1 said:

Here’s another 2 bucks that were posted the same day this pic was. And the dead head in front of the dog kennel is another buck off our property and found while doing a pheasant hunt

0747A972-4C09-4375-9574-54535675855A.jpeg

0975D33D-01EE-4FF8-B79E-72FA5BF4B971.jpeg

88848FC6-9894-46DA-B806-0C12382D583B.jpeg

This sucks hopefully you guys get a good solid frost to end this BS

EHD is spread by the midge but it says its not transmissible deer to deer.. a female midge only acquires the disease from biting an infected animal and then biting another animal infecting that one. so what infected animal started all of this, and why is it in so many different areas? One study said they could acquire the disease from livestock. could this be from transporting of livestock across state lines? There has to be a significant link somehow we haven't put together yet. A midge just isnt born with this disease.