Holiday Season

wolc123

28 minutes ago, Four Seasons said:

If you can add those two up I guess you would come up with plenty of inches and maturity so I guess you could say I got all I was looking for. Shocked you have not thrown up any pics of your success. It is a hunting site after all. And be sure to show your success on your future best week of the season. My guess is you won’t see it even offered.

My free range crossbow buck this year. Not my place to share others deer harvests,  so I wont show theirs to you.1415900536_Screenshot_20211223-180936_Message.thumb.jpg.16eed6ade92f40140b5270aa019a7786.jpg

20211115_110243.jpg

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, Just Lucky said:

My free range crossbow buck this year. Not my place to share others deer harvests,  so I wont show theirs to you.1415900536_Screenshot_20211223-180936_Message.thumb.jpg.16eed6ade92f40140b5270aa019a7786.jpg

20211115_110243.jpg

Pretty Buck.  Can’t wait to see the success numbers off of this site alone during this special season. Should be piles of them seeing it seems like most on this site will be out there.  Although this last week or two didn’t fare so well for the same and they also had rifles in their hands for some of it. Time will tell I guess. 

37 minutes ago, Four Seasons said:

If you can add those two up I guess you would come up with plenty of inches and maturity so I guess you could say I got all I was looking for. Shocked you have not thrown up any pics of your success. It is a hunting site after all. And be sure to show your success on your future best week of the season. My guess is you won’t see it even offered again. 

Couple from previous years. 20181103_121022.thumb.jpg.61f860567654960820857648790f8d19.jpg

20181201_101353.jpg

20180903_060153.jpg

20191102_114922.jpg

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, Four Seasons said:

Nice. Hence why I make it a point to only shoot mature bucks. My previous two years. 

398154F2-2C63-4E82-B4B8-388A34E6646B.png

50612FB1-A13F-495E-BC07-417D9D97A6D4.png

71F03276-96D6-4591-AEA1-DF118822498A.png

Some days I will shoot what I would let walk the day before or after, not really sure why. I pursued a 13 point hard this year. Would not have scored well. Thick and wide main beam with short points. Only seen once during bow early. Not the prettiest buck around but unique. Found out a couple days ago a guy I work with got him opening day of gun about 2 miles away chasing a doe.  Gonna print pics for him. Got pics from june to September 

7 minutes ago, Just Lucky said:

Some days I will shoot what I would let walk the day before or after, not really sure why. I pursued a 13 point hard this year. Would not have scored well. Thick and wide main beam with short points. Only seen once during bow early. Not the prettiest buck around but unique. Found out a couple days ago a guy I work with got him opening day of gun about 2 miles away chasing a doe.  Gonna print pics for him. Got pics from june to September 

Kinda the same here. Passed a few great bucks waiting for this guy to mess up but never got another pic of him after Nov 3rd Never heard of him getting killed and have cameras out 200 miles from home still looking for him. But if this funky looking brute would have shown up in daylight he would have been smoked. Would love to get the age on him. 

E3EE6748-30AE-4F66-BE83-BA1C11BE05E9.png

A5EE9F1B-E07B-4030-A090-709CC365E02D.png

F57293A5-F200-447A-AC00-33419F2919BD.png

CC00C261-489F-4238-BBE3-A679D4E3170C.png

7628FBBC-0AC1-48F7-A61C-2C810977BFBB.png

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Four Seasons said:

Kinda the same here. Passed a few great bucks waiting for this guy to mess up but never got another pic of him after Nov 3rd Never heard of him getting killed and have cameras out 200 miles from home still looking for him. But if this funky looking brute would have shown up in daylight he would have been smoked. Would love to get the age on him. 

E3EE6748-30AE-4F66-BE83-BA1C11BE05E9.png

A5EE9F1B-E07B-4030-A090-709CC365E02D.png

F57293A5-F200-447A-AC00-33419F2919BD.png

CC00C261-489F-4238-BBE3-A679D4E3170C.png

7628FBBC-0AC1-48F7-A61C-2C810977BFBB.png

Thanks for posting those pics of “the one that got away”

That makes it very clear why you are so upset with the “lesser” 7 and 8 pointers that you ended up settling for this year, and why you get so pissed off with the repeated postings of my 9 pointer.  By the looks of the fuzzy pictures of them, it seems like your camera is going bad also.

Oh well, better luck next year.  Like I said in the op, I am trying to hold out (until January 1st pm hunt) for an 8 point with my second buck tag this year, but I will settle for one with just 4 points on one side, even if he has dropped the other side.  

I have never owned a trail camera, but I am very thankful that The Good Lord allowed me to assist, putting the largest antlered bucks that I laid eyes on for 5 of the last 6 years, into their final resting place (my family’s food supply).

I did suffer a year, like you did this year, last season though. I lost the biggest one that I saw that year, due to this damn smart phone.  Fortunately, I learned from that mistake, and it was safely tucked away in my pocket, when this guy showed up just after sunset on the evening after Thanksgiving. 

Do not dispair, change you course, and it is bound to get better for you also next year.

Happy New Years to you and your family and I hope 2022 brings you more of God’s blessings and some more satisfaction. 

00B77F6A-B982-417D-8FF6-9E5F62B35B3B.thumb.jpeg.d24cdf1e9b40212cc92c07418567308d.jpeg

Edited by wolc123
  • Like 1
  • Sad 1

7 minutes ago, wolc123 said:

Thanks for posting those pics of “the one that got away”

That makes it very clear why you are so upset with the “lesser” 7 and 8 pointers that you ended up settling for this year, and why you get so pissed off with the repeated postings of my 9 pointer.  By the looks of the fuzzy pictures of them, it seems like your camera is going bad also.

Oh well, better luck next year.  Like I said in the op, I am trying to hold out (until January 1st pm  hunt) for an 8 point with my second buck tag this year, but I will settle for one with just 4 points on one side, even if he has dropped the other side.  

I have never owned a trail camera, but I am very thankful that The Good Lord allowed me to assist, putting the largest antlered bucks that I laid eyes on for 5 of the last 6 years, into their final resting place (my family’s food supply).

I did suffer a year, like you did this year, last season though. I lost the biggest one that I saw that year, due to this damn smart phone.  Fortunately, I learned from that mistake, and it was safely tucked away in my pocket, when this guy showed up just after sunset on the evening after Thanksgiving. 

Do not dispair, change you course, and it is bound to get better for you also next year.

Happy New Years to you and your family and I hope 2022 brings you some more satisfaction.

00B77F6A-B982-417D-8FF6-9E5F62B35B3B.thumb.jpeg.d24cdf1e9b40212cc92c07418567308d.jpeg

Yo Dickhead. Care to show where either of those deer having missing or broken points?   Your a great hunter showing that’s the biggest you have seen in 5-6 years.       Congrats on that one. That’s Sad. 

• Like 1

48 minutes ago, Four Seasons said:

Yo Dickhead. Care to show where either of those deer having missing or broken points?   Your a great hunter showing that’s the biggest you have seen in 5-6 years.       Congrats on that one. That’s Sad. 

Not sure what you are talking about kind sir, but I didn’t see any brow tines on your upper (I assume northern buck), so that is what I meant by “missing”.  Do you have a clearer photo of that one ? 

The only “broken” points I referred to on this thread were the tenth and eleventh points (right side looking at the picture or his left) that the 9 pointer I killed this year had lost during the rut.  If you would like, I can get some photos from different angles, or stop by your ranch with it, when I am up that way ice fishin over President’s weekend next February.  I saved his lower jaw for you, so that you could verify his 3.5 year age if you wanted to.  

I always estimate their age by skull size and he appears to be my 4th 3.5 year old over the last 5 years.  I could also bring along the lower jaw of my 2018 (weight / PA chest girth calibration) 3.5 year old buck if you wish.  

That’s him right up above that infamous little “Texas” buck The Good Lord blessed me with, up your way, back in 2016.

29F9E8B2-79B6-4CBC-A235-353764BCA030.jpeg

9FDF09DE-0BD0-423F-A052-357F74B00B39.jpeg

E4EED7CA-074C-47B0-A944-64B19D28A7B7.jpeg

I can’t recall ever claiming to be a “great hunter”.  I ain’t even a real good shot and never placed higher than third place on my high school rifle team.  The only time I know for sure that I hit the spot that I aimed at, was on that little “Texas” buck.  The only reason I know that, is because there was no hair at that spot.

I have just been fortunate enough to be in the right place at the right time for The Good Lord to bless me with some “marginal” bucks by your standards or some good ones by mine. 

Edited by wolc123
  • Haha 1

3 hours ago, wolc123 said:

Not sure what you are talking about kind sir, but I didn’t see any brow tines on your upper (I assume northern buck), so that is what I meant by “missing”.  Do you have a clearer photo of that one ? 

The only “broken” points I referred to on this thread were the tenth and eleventh points (right side looking at the picture or his left) that the 9 pointer I killed this year had lost during the rut.  If you would like, I can get some photos from different angles, or stop by your ranch with it, when I am up that way ice fishin over President’s weekend next February.  I saved his lower jaw for you, so that you could verify his 3.5 year age if you wanted to.  

I always estimate their age by skull size and he appears to be my 4th 3.5 year old over the last 5 years.  I could also bring along the lower jaw of my 2018 (weight / PA chest girth calibration) 3.5 year old buck if you wish.  

That’s him right up above that infamous little “Texas” buck The Good Lord blessed me with, up your way, back in 2016.

29F9E8B2-79B6-4CBC-A235-353764BCA030.jpeg

9FDF09DE-0BD0-423F-A052-357F74B00B39.jpeg

E4EED7CA-074C-47B0-A944-64B19D28A7B7.jpeg

I can’t recall ever claiming to be a “great hunter”.  I ain’t even a real good shot and never placed higher than third place on my high school rifle team.  The only time I know for sure that I hit the spot that I aimed at, was on that little “Texas” buck.  The only reason I know that, is because there was no hair at that spot.

I have just been fortunate enough to be in the right place at the right time for The Good Lord to bless me with some “marginal” bucks by your standards or some good ones by mine. 

Now you think we can’t see your “”Edit””. On your post where you removed words?  If you can’t see Brow’s in that pic that explains a lot.                                                       If you have the stones to pull down any of my driveway’s to show me anything I say you are more than welcome.                             

I find it flat out hilarious how certain people think they know what's best for the whole state when they never leave the same areas year after year. Feeding deer multi vitamins to grow them big does not make you an expert.

I think you should all put down the phones and go outside and do something. Fish, hike, run naked through the woods, poop in a bush....... That last one might help a few of the overly constipated people around here.

• Like 1

15 hours ago, Four Seasons said:

You don’t have to worry to much about me not hanging a couple oversized beasts on the meat pole every year. Not overly tough thing to do.   But you won’t see me ever feel the need to put them on every post I make. 

0121BE40-C58E-4BC0-8178-98F4468FAB40.png

5BF8CC90-2F48-4C5D-8166-94C691179190.png

31403E13-FDE9-4E75-BE3F-19281CE82EE3.png

Thanks for the President’s day invite, and I might try to stop in, with those two lower jaws that I saved for you, and check out your racks.  I am pretty sure that we got detoured right past there, a couple of trips ago, when there must have been an accident on Rt 3.  It didn’t take us that much longer, to get to the in-laws place, going that way.

Looking at your three pictures of this year’s kills up above, they appear to show two different bucks.  On the bottom two, I can clearly see the brow tines, and on the top one I can’t.  

I enlarged that top picture as much as I could with my phone (I think it is an I-phone 14), used my bifocals, and I still can’t see them.  If that one also has them, then they must both be 8-pointers, or did I miss some more 1” or longer stickers ?

I am not much of an “antlers” guy myself, as you and everyone else on this site must surely be well aware of by now.  I even missed this damn 1-1/8” long brow sticker on my one and only antlered buck (so far) this year, when I called in my harvest report.  

I still feel a little guilty about that, because the DEC probably considers 5 or less points as 1.5 years old, 6-8 points as 2.5 years old, 9 or more points as 3.5 plus, and no points (my wife’s favorites) as 6 months old when aging male deer with their computer program. 

I am sorry that you are not overly thrilled with the DEC.  From a “mostly” MEAT hunter’s perspective, I feel that they have been doing a stellar job lately, of managing our deer herd.  

Never have I felt more certain of that than this year, when my freezers would be almost empty, rather than packed to near capacity, were it not for the new changes they made.  The jury is still out on the new Holliday season, but the early antlerless season, restored Adirondack ML antlerless, and half hour past sunset, have been real good for me.   

I believe you if you say the brows are there on that upper photo and if you have it next February, I guess I might be able to see them up close and in focus.  

Getting off the “missing” brow points, and back on topic, I understand that you are now tagged out.  I have an extra dmp, that I could sign over to you, if you want to come out west for some Holiday hunting.  You would be very welcome if you choose to.

I can offer you a comfortable  box blind, over looking a not yet fully consumed standing corn plot, on 34 private acres.  I kicked a big (unidentified) deer out of there last Saturday afternoon.  Shoot me a pm if you might be able to make it out to wmu 9F any time   between December 26 and January 1.   

37703D41-55DE-4874-93A7-CB4DBCA8AB46.jpeg

E1639990-BAAB-4AF8-AE85-C125E1F793B0.jpeg

ps, I edit almost all of my posts with this damn smart phone because it always changes a bunch of words (or I fat-finger) a few.  

MERRY CHRISTMASS

Edited by wolc123
  • Like 3
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, wolc123 said:

Thanks for the President’s day invite, and I might try to stop in, with those two lower jaws that I saved for you, and check out your racks.  I am pretty sure that we got detoured right past there, a couple of trips ago, when there must have been an accident on Rt 3.  It didn’t take us that much longer, to get to the in-laws place, going that way.

Looking at your three pictures of this year’s kills up above, they appear to show two different bucks.  On the bottom two, I can clearly see the brow tines, and on the top one I can’t.  

I enlarged that top picture as much as I could with my phone (I think it is an I-phone 14), used my bifocals, and I still can’t see them.  If that one also has them, then they must both be 8-pointers, or did I miss some more 1” or longer stickers ?

I am not much of an “antlers” guy myself, as you and everyone else on this site must surely be well aware of by now.  I even missed this damn 1-1/8” long brow sticker on my one and only antlered buck (so far) this year, when I called in my harvest report.  

I still feel a little guilty about that, because the DEC probably considers 5 or less points as 1.5 years old, 6-8 points as 2.5 years old, 9 or more points as 3.5 plus, and no points (my wife’s favorites) as 6 months old when aging male deer with their computer program. 

I am sorry that you are not overly thrilled with the DEC.  From a “mostly” MEAT hunter’s perspective, I feel that they have been doing a stellar job lately, of managing our deer herd.  

Never have I felt more certain of that than this year, when my freezers would be almost empty, rather than packed to near capacity, were it not for the new changes they made.  The jury is still out on the new Holliday season, but the early antlerless season, restored Adirondack ML antlerless, and half hour past sunset, have been real good for me.   

I believe you if you say the brows are there on that upper photo and if you have it next February, I guess I might be able to see them up close and in focus.  

Getting off the “missing” brow points, and back on topic, I understand that you are now tagged out.  I have an extra dmp, that I could sign over to you, if you want to come out west for some Holiday hunting.  You would be very welcome if you choose to.

I can offer you a comfortable  box blind, over looking a not yet fully consumed standing corn plot, on 34 private acres.  I kicked a big (unidentified) deer out of there last Saturday afternoon.  Shoot me a pm if you might be able to make it out to wmu 9F any time   between December 26 and January 1.   

37703D41-55DE-4874-93A7-CB4DBCA8AB46.jpeg

E1639990-BAAB-4AF8-AE85-C125E1F793B0.jpeg

ps, I edit almost all of my posts with this damn smart phone because it always changes a bunch of words (or I fat-finger) a few.  

MERRY CHRISTMASS

That is very kind of you to try and save his season. That is the holiday spirit that hopefully this new season will bring.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

If you squint your eyes and concentrate, maybe you too can picture a mullet headed FSW flopping on the deck of the "SS WOLC". 

After some hero shots, wolc grabs his Leatherman and wonders to himself if he can even get this treble hook out of the gullet; will this fish survive or should he just count it towards his daily limit?

• Haha 1

21 minutes ago, Chris-Jordan said:

I intend to go crossbow hunting on Sunday. I planned on heading down to camp to bring some things home, so I'll simply there a few hours early. I'll be back in time for the game against the Bills.

You or I might get the last post in the 2021 crossbow harvest thread.  In addition to this Sunday, I also plan on hitting my crossbow-only “trailer-park” stand on January 1st, so that will give me a shot at first Crossbow harvest of 2022.

1st crossbow harvest in the morning and first Muzzleloader harvest in the afternoon would also be cool.  Anyone can get the biggest antlers, field dressed weight, or PA chest girth, but there is just one first and last each year.

No sense letting my 4 remaining deer tags go to waste when there are lots of hungry folks out there and the NY DEC is depending on us to help with the state’s deer herd management.

If your freezers are already full, don’t forget that many processors will take your deer and process it for the needy, at no cost to you.  Google venison coalition for the processing  location nearest you.  

Financial contributions towards that program are also accepted  by the DEC when and where you purchase your license.

56 minutes ago, Jeremy K said:

Is it not the same deer regardless if the antlers are still attached? 

Not legally, per the DEC, because you can take up to (6) antlerless bucks in many DMU’s (assuming you get (2) transferred and (2) “extra” dmp’s in addition to your first (2)), but the maximum bag limit of bucks carrying antlers remains just (2) in most DMU’s throughout the December 26 - January 1st Holiday ML season.

You can legally kill (8) shed bucks, during the Holiday and the normal late ML season (ended Tuesday) if you have those (6) dmp’s , because both of your buck tags may also be used for antlerless deer during those seasons.

Edited by wolc123

1 hour ago, wolc123 said:

Not legally, per the DEC, because you can take up to (6) antlerless bucks in many DMU’s (assuming you get (2) transferred and (2) “extra” dmp’s in addition to your first (2)), but the maximum bag limit of bucks carrying antlers remains just (2) in most DMU’s throughout the December 26 - January 1st Holiday ML season.

You can legally kill (8) shed bucks, during the Holiday and the normal late ML season (ended Tuesday) if you have those (6) dmp’s , because both of your buck tags may also be used for antlerless deer during those seasons.

Good thing we’re  all meat hunters here .Sucks for the antler only hunters .All them 150” deer taken this next week with less than adequate implements .and tagged as doe none the less .We should have a contest who can kill the deer with the largest circumference of pedicle .

Edited by WNYTRPR
  • Like 1
  • Haha 2