These kids are the future of America?

8 minutes ago, diplomat019 said:

That was not your statement. Please stay on your own topic.  You stated that if you voice your opinions to your child’s school district you’ll be labeled as a domestic terrorist. I simply replied that I’ve voiced my concerns to my children's teacher/school/district in the past and was never labeled a terrorist. They might not have totally agreed with me but not once was I labeled a terrorist or was that even insinuated.

So I call on all HNY Members with children who have spoken to their district about their children, have you been labeled a domestic terrorist?  I would love for everybody who reads this to chime in. Have you been labeled a domestic terrorist by your school district? 

https://www.wtrf.com/news/local-news/ohio-parents-called-domestic-terrorists-in-letter-by-national-school-boards-association-osba-ends-membership/

Stop pretending you haven't heard the stories going around. I literally google searched for 15 seconds . 

• Like 2

Unfortunately not all professors are the same way. 

Don’t get me wrong. I agree with you and more so now that I am touring colleges with my three. Having a professor cramming one-sided ideology into the brain of kids is wrong. But having a kid who can know that they are being fed a one-sided argument and make their decision can prevent the indoctrination of my child.

And while it is grossly obvious now that this is happening with greater frequency and intensity, how do you think I felt in my “African American women in Lit” course back in the 90’s? 35 kids- me, 2 gay guy, 2 blacks guys and the rest woman. I was the anti-Christ as a white, middle class, Christian, straight conservative Republican man. Somehow, I still am all those things

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  • Like 2

28 minutes ago, Jeremy K said:

https://www.wtrf.com/news/local-news/ohio-parents-called-domestic-terrorists-in-letter-by-national-school-boards-association-osba-ends-membership/

Stop pretending you haven't heard the stories going around. I literally google searched for 15 seconds . 

We all have access to the same news.

Let’s not perpetuate the lie that if you voice concerns to your school board you are labeled a domestic terrorist.  Thats why Im asking all parents on this forum who have voiced concerns to their childrens school district, how many if you were labeled a domestic terrorist? 

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, diplomat019 said:

We all have access to the same news.

Let’s not perpetuate the lie that if you voice concerns to your school board you are labeled a domestic terrorist.  Thats why Im asking all parents on this forum who have voiced concerns to their childrens school district, how many if you were labeled a domestic terrorist? 

It is happening though. 

• Like 2

25 minutes ago, crappyice said:

Don’t get me wrong. I agree with you and more so now that I am touring colleges with my three. Having a professor cramming one-sided ideology into the brain of kids is wrong. But having a kid who can know that they are being fed a one-sided argument and make their decision can prevent the indoctrination of my child.

And while it is grossly obvious now that this is happening with greater frequency and intensity, how do you think I felt in my “African American women in Lit” course back in the 90’s? 35 kids- me, 2 gay guy, 2 blacks guys and the rest woman. I was the anti-Christ as a white, middle class, Christian, straight conservative Republican man. Somehow, I still am all those things

That is huge right there, definitely one of goals raising my kids is to weed through peoples bullshit.

• Like 1

34 minutes ago, diplomat019 said:

You have a better chance of dying from covid than you do from being labeled a domestic terrorist for voicing your concerns at a school board meeting.   And we are well aware of the covid mortality rate.  

Extremely low for both uet here we are 2 years later wearing masks and cancelling people who dont follow the scripted narrative. 

• Like 3

On 1/29/2022 at 8:33 PM, crappyice said:

Are you sure? Or does it start with the parents who sadly long for their children’s love by trying to be their friend and give them whatever they want.
I promise I have more parents who cannot accept their kid did anything wrong.
What would happen if your principal called home when you were a kid? I’d get my ass kicked before I had a chance to explain myself, then get another round for trying to blame someone else.

My two hunting buddies are teachers and they have the exact same issue.  They often can't discipline a student for any reason because the parents are unwilling to even consider that their child did anything wrong- either that or the parent doesn't care one way or the other.

• Like 1

On 1/29/2022 at 8:33 PM, crappyice said:

Are you sure? Or does it start with the parents who sadly long for their children’s love by trying to be their friend and give them whatever they want.
I promise I have more parents who cannot accept their kid did anything wrong.
What would happen if your principal called home when you were a kid? I’d get my ass kicked before I had a chance to explain myself, then get another round for trying to blame someone else.

I think you and 4 seasons are right ,it’s a combination.My Friend is an Athletic Director ,everyday he tells me he’s ready to retire .

He got a trump bobble head as a gift from his secretary ,the district came in and told him he’d have to remove it .He told them no ,and it still sits in his office .That was right before Christmas.It was another teacher that complained about it .

Edited by WNYTRPR
  • Like 1

On 1/30/2022 at 6:26 AM, Just Lucky said:

I think that remote learning could help also. It should increase parents involvement.  Parents can learn and assist with childrens school work. Parents then also choose their kids social activities. Also can reduce or eliminate transportation costs for students. 

Unfortunately too many parents use the school system as daycare. Too many parents prioritize their personal wants over their childs needs to grow into successful,independent adults.

I disagree with this. My daughter was always an A student. She did terrible remote learning last year. And I mean terrible! Back to school this year and back to A's....Hopefully what she missed learning doesn't screw her up in life. I couldn't learn staring at a computer, could you?

8 hours ago, Grouse said:

This isn't protesting.  This is an attitude being installed in students that will be carried into to real world for life.  Intolerance of any opposing viewpoint and a desire to silence it with force is totalitarian stuff.  Where's the so called tolerance?  Where's the freedom of choice?  When people make light of these things it indicates they have no idea what is going on or the implications for the future.

Your biggest fear is being yelled at by a college girl, isn't it?

Some guys pay good money for that and it seems to help them live a satisfied life. You may want to look into it lest your agoraphobia turn you into someone who stays home all day and scours the internet for more reasons to be afraid.

As a bonus, I think if the college girls use props you can claim the "sessions" as a medical expense.

42 minutes ago, ApexerER said:

I disagree with this. My daughter was always an A student. She did terrible remote learning last year. And I mean terrible! Back to school this year and back to A's....Hopefully what she missed learning doesn't screw her up in life. I couldn't learn staring at a computer, could you?

I do 90% of my training for work on the computer,  and 10 % class room. 

I think if parents learn the curriculum with their child it helps. Both can learn together, and assist each other. I see it as a great opportunity to be involved.

It maybe a difficult transition for families, but sometimes change is good. 

The only thing that Covid did well for us teachers was make parents realize how much our job sucks and how obnoxious their children can be when asking them to do work!!!
A little tongue and cheek here but sort of true. We also could not effectively teach through a screen nor are we trained to do that. Online schooling is not a good option. I see the difference in my students this year and we were in school all through the pandemic last year behind masks and plastic screens.

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, crappyice said:

The only thing that Covid did well for us teachers was make parents realize how much our job sucks and how obnoxious their children can be when asking them to do work!!!
A little tongue and cheek here but sort of true. We also could not effectively teach through a screen nor are we trained to do that. Online schooling is not a good option. I see the difference in my students this year and we were in school all through the pandemic last year behind masks and plastic screens.

And the problem will be seen for years to come. Kids are impressionable for sure. 

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, Just Lucky said:

I think if parents learn the curriculum with their child it helps. Both can learn together, and assist each other. I see it as a great opportunity to be involved.

You don't think there is a difference between learning something on the computer that you have to learn and are interested in compared too, idk say the ancient Inca or something being lectured to you at the age of 16? There is a reason why the best teachers are the interactive ones that keep your attention and make learning something that isn't of interest to you fun and interactive. That is almost impossible to do virtually IMO.  There is also a big difference in helping a 6-8 year old learn virtually than a high school student. My daughter is so far ahead of where i ever got in math, she might as well be showing me greek. 

When my washing machine broke I watched several youtube videos and got it fixed. I don't just watch youtube videos on washing machines for the heck of it and would get very little out of it if i did. This is basically what my daughter was doing last year and how she was being taught. Do this, what this, look at this and have it all done by Friday for the test. It doesn't work and even teachers would tell you that...As one on here already did...

• Like 2

43 minutes ago, Just Lucky said:

Yea,in a perfect world .Not in the world I see everyday.

• Like 1