Antler Restrictions - What are your thoughts?

TheHunter

Antler Restrictions Poll  

278 members have voted

1. 1. Antler Restrictions Poll

• Yes - I
    • Nope - I
    • Give it a few years to see the results
    • Not Sure

Chocolate ...... chocolate ....... chocolate tapioca (even better) ...... chocolate with whipped cream on top (really good) ..... chocolate ........ no instant!!! ...... chocolate!!! Much better tasting than antlers ..... ha-ha.  ;D

Hunting participation by all accounts is way down--antler restriction will sverely drop the number of hunters in the field--you think you see less deer now............

Lets wait to see what the license sales were this year. in any event,the DEC will invent some new machinations to pique hunter interests in the future.

Hunting participation by all accounts is way down--antler restriction will sverely drop the number of hunters in the field--you think you see less deer now............

Lets wait to see what the license sales were this year. in any event,the DEC will invent some new machinations to pique hunter interests in the future.

I think that old well is getting a bit dry. I know they are trying all kinds of gimmicks to get hunter numbers to reverse. Some even have some temporary success, but the over-all trend still winds up downward. I think those actions that tend to frustrate hunters are destined to accelerate our downward trend. I firmly believe that the license fee fiasco will eventually lead to more hunters dropping out or not starting hunting to begin with. I feel just as strong that enacting any of a number of restrictions that have been talked about on this forum could have similar effects.

The drop in hunters has more to do with kids not coming up as hunters than it does about any license price increase.. and more so the fact that there is less local land for guys to hunt than there was 30 years ago. Nearly everywhere that I hunted 30 years ago has become a huge residential development. Most of my friends that use to hunt that have stopped is due to them getting married and having kids and momma not liking them running off hunting while she gets left home with the chillen'. Just a different time than it was before... 

The drop in hunters has more to do with kids not coming up as hunters than it does about any license price increase.. and more so the fact that there is less local land for guys to hunt than there was 30 years ago. Nearly everywhere that I hunted 30 years ago has become a huge residential development. Most of my friends that use to hunt that have stopped is due to them getting married and having kids and momma not liking them running off hunting while she gets left home with the chillen'. Just a different time than it was before...

This is all absolutely true. There are so many cultural changes that have occurred that impact opportunities and attitudes toward hunting. Every year more hunters get on the fence as to whether they will continue hunting or not. That's why we don't need to be providing new excuses for them not to hunt. Sometimes it doesn't take a lot to provide that little shove that sends them right out of hunting forever.

Most of us have a hard time imagining that because hunting has been an important part of our lives for so long. However, there are a lot of hunters who have never had that thorough indoctrination. I see the growing lack of dedication and enthusiasm just in the way most people hunt. If you think about it, you can see where it really wouldn't take a whole lot to convince people in this category that they should take up some other recreation..... and they are doing exactly that every year. It's all a lot more complex a subject than most of us realize, and all the contributors to the problem are not necessarily just the big and obvious reasons.

Doc

The herd reduction plays a huge part in decline of hunters also. I took my son this year and he was out for 4 full days and saw 1 doe with 2 fawns after dusk on his way back one evening.

Its hard to believe when you are first starting that there can be a buck(and to some it should be a 2 1/2 year old) ready to come by any minute. There aren't deer!!

If you at least see deer there is hope. I don't need to see 10 deer a day but having 2 or 3 a day gives you hope.

5 hunters this past Saturday, fresh snow, 0 tracks.  "Don't worry son any minute now we will see something"  That lasts only so long. Especially in this day and age of instant gratification.

The herd reduction is also caused by the hunters.. every hunter can not continue to tag out in a given area if there already is a reduction in that areas population... the overall state deer heard hasn't shown any decline... although there are over hunted areas... think about it.. if a dozen hunters hunt the same small parcel of land without any regard for the population of deer in the area and everyone fills their tags.. you aren't going to see many deer in that specific area the following year. Unfortunately the tags are given out based on WMU populations and the DEC has no idea how many hunters are hunting what lands in that WMU. How was my spelling???

Your spelling was fine, however my criticism goes beyond that... It has to to with competency and intelligence, of which Larry has none of.  He has done a fine job of demonstrating that multiple times with his ignorance regarding deer management and the health of the herd in NY.

Let me guess....you got your a$$ stuffed in a locker every day at school...didn't you, thehunter...you are pitiful that you could put yourself so high on your imaginary pedestal. Your attitude is just the thing that will turn off those on the fence about management changes.

Listen, I already told you I am sorry for stuffing your a$$ in a locker.. I'm sorry, it was a phase I was going through where I put those who had zero intelligence to rest.  Again, I'm sorry.

My attitude is fine, its you guys with the ignorance you bring that hauls the negativity.  You fail to see what works and only look at the area's YOU HUNT with disregard to all other area's where AR or some type of management is needed...  Thanks for clearing that up there "Hunt Club".

I hunt areas that are damn near impossible to see a mature buck...and others where they are fairly common. That does not change my definition and has little bearing on a successful season. it is sad you feel the need to impose your definition of success on others. I have said before I do not shoot 1.5 yo's any longer. I just don't share your arrogance and try to impose my views on others. Management aside it speaks to your character...or lack there of I should say....let's not beat around the bush...I don't like you...don't like your imposing tendencies and your general tone. That said...if you ever want to get together and figure out the whole locker problem, you just let me know. I would be very happy to discuss it with you

Obviously you got out of the locker, so there is no issue to talk about. I'm not imposing anything on you and your hunting area you ignorant fool.  If you paid attention to 1/2 of what was posted I was speaking for my area and area's where AR / Management would benefit.  That's is great that you no longer shoot 1.5's, its a shame you did not shoot them from the beginning and give them a chance to grow, but I do not fault you for that choice. I'm speaking for my area, where a majority agree with AR, where the majority would like to have the opportunity to harvest an older buck, where those do not exist because of hunting pressure or unfavorable conditions.  Where do you hunt? Oh..thats right not in my area where I am speaking of.  Save your BS for those who want to eat it, which is not in Sullivan County thats for sure.

I have said it in the past that in sullivan county the area I have hunted for a about 20 years the change has been huge.  Knowing how the area was before ARs and seeing how it is today is the difference, night and day.  The meat processors and the Taxidermist have seen the drastic change in deer in the last few years.  I have seen the difference and have been fortunate enough to shoot a couple of decent bucks in the last few years when before I never saw a decent rack.  ARs arent the answer for shooting mature trophy class animal, But in sullivan county ARs have gotten us that much closer in age. 1-2 extra years on a buck has brought alot of excitement in the woods the last few seasons, not only because I have had the opportunity to harvest them but also having the opportunity in seeing different deer behavior that I thought was only seen on TV.  Forcing it on everyone in our area was the only was we were ever going to see a change and I am glad they did.

I have said it in the past that in sullivan county the area I have hunted for a about 20 years the change has been huge.  Knowing how the area was before ARs and seeing how it is today is the difference, night and day.  The meat processors and the Taxidermist have seen the drastic change in deer in the last few years.  I have seen the difference and have been fortunate enough to shoot a couple of decent bucks in the last few years when before I never saw a decent rack.  ARs arent the answer for shooting mature trophy class animal, But in sullivan county ARs have gotten us that much closer in age. 1-2 extra years on a buck has brought alot of excitement in the woods the last few seasons, not only because I have had the opportunity to harvest them but also having the opportunity in seeing different deer behavior that I thought was only seen on TV.  Forcing it on everyone in our area was the only was we were ever going to see a change and I am glad they did.

OMG! Someone not talking out of their a$$ stuffed in a locker!  Thanks fairgame... Its nice to hear from those in the area that do not speak for area's that they do not hunt in nor have any hunting experience in...  I'm so tired of hearing BS from those who want to spread their FUD on our areas where they have not nor ever will hunt in.  Thanks.